Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Using bathroom words, etc. -- Is this too much?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 11:14 am
How much is normal for a preschooler to be interested in discovering their private parts? 4 y.o. dd is very into using bathroom words, and many times when she's with a cousin, she hides to play "the tushy game"... When I'm changing ds's diaper she always wants to see. My sister thinks it's a little too much. First of all, is it really too much, I thought it's normal for kids that age to be into these things. And if it is, what in heaven's name am I supposed to do about it? Who would be able to help me with such an issue?

mama-star

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 11:18 am
it's totally normal. and kids want to do it more because they know it's taboo. I would just keep it lighthearted (so it doesn't become the "forbidden fruit") and redirect the activity for bathroom time. I'm one of these folks who believes in not getting upset or punishing when it comes to "private part stuff." it has to be discouraged, of course, but in a gentle way.

scheins

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 11:25 am
I think it is normal. my 4 year likes to hold himself when he is undressed only so that is good. my 2 year old never touches himself. it is just a personality I think. it goes away especially if you dont make a big deal out of it. I have heard of people that still have the issue later cuz they made a big deal of it.

canadamom

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 11:28 am
I once asked a similar question here about my 4 yr. old son and someone suggested that I allow him to say bathroom words or touch his privates... only in the bathroom. It really worked!!! without making a big deal I told him it's not so tznius and if he wants to touch himself or say a dirty word he can only do it in the bathroom. well basically it stopped!!! (it might have also been a phase, as with your daughter)

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 11:56 am
In my experience, the more attention kids get for doing bathroom stuff, the more they do it. I try to ignore it, or do as other posters have said, to quietly say we only do/say that in the bathroom. The real problem comes when the other kids laugh at it. Rolling Eyes In any case, it's just a stage and will eventually go away...

normama

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 1:13 pm
my 2 1/2yr ds is very interested in bathroom stuff too!
when we change dd's diaper he always wants to see the poop.
he always want to see what he made in the toilet,
he's also so curious about my "nurses". Rolling Eyes
so I don't make a big deal about the poop stuff, I hope it's a phase.
the nurses comments make me blush. I tell him that all mommies have nurses.
and this is funny,
he says, "zaydie has nurses too?" (zaydie is a little overweight) Rolling Laughter
oh boy. so we now say, we dont talk about nurses. end of story
what's cute is that he'll catch himself saying "poop" or whatever and he'll stop and change the word....
if it keeps up I will try that -only in the bathroom- thing. sounds good!

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 1:24 pm
I tell my DD (3 and a half) that these words are appropriate for the bathroom, if she wants to use this kinds of language she should do it in the bathroom. This was about a year ago. Since then, I've never had trouble with this, and sometimes we'll hear her singing or yelling all the words she's not allowed to say in public - it's so cute. I think the kids need to have an outlet for this need of theirs, but they also need to know that these words are unacceptable in polite society.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers