Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help!! Crayon laundry disaster

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 5:27 pm
I just realized that there was a red crayon in my dryer, and all the laundry in there is red. Also my whole dryer is dyed red and full of red wax....how do I get rid of it.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 5:30 pm
I cant take credit...I just googled it

We have now joined the ranks of people with the dreaded problem of removing melted crayon from the clothes dryer. After my brief crying spell, we were able to devise a removal plan based on other people's suggestions on ThriftyFun. Here are the steps we used to remove the crayon:
Run the dryer for 15 minutes to heat up the crayon.
Sprinkle Comet on a wet sponge and gently rub the crayon spots. (Rubbing to hard will damage the enamel coating!)
A toothbrush dipping into a comet and water paste worked well for the cracks and crevices. (It is important to clean the crevices so that crayon wax doesn't seep out when running future loads of laundry!)
Once you have removed the crayon with the Comet use a damp rag to wipe out the Comet and crayon residue.
If there is still crayon left after doing this, run the dryer again for 15 minutes and repeat the above cleaning process until all the wax has been removed...DO NOT run the dryer with any cleaner still inside!
Finally, to "test" whether it is completely clean, run a few clean white rags through a drying cycle and inspect them for crayon marks! If there aren't any you loads of good clothes should be safe!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 5:32 pm
or another site says to use wd-40

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 6:11 pm
thanks will try, what about the laundry?

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 6:29 pm
and after your done do a load of bad towels to absorb whatever you missed - this way you prevent the next load from crayon mess ...

the clothes are doomed - unless you scrub each one by hand with baking soda ... maybe maybe maybe ...

Hug

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 7:31 pm
Im willing to forgo the whole load except for one pillowcase coming to a new set of linen, I'm trying to soak it for a while and am hoping.....

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 8:43 pm
Careful, comet contains bleach.

Take a baby wipe, add baking soda, and rub the walls of your dryer.

For the clothes, dip a wet toothbrush into baking soda and scrub.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry