Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby cries before going to sleep

goodgirl

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 2:23 pm
my baby is 8 months old and falls asleep on his own, no paci... however, everytime I put him in for a nap or for the night, if he didnt fall asleep on the bottle, he cries anywhere from 5-10 min, never more than 10 minutes... I dont really have time to rock him to sleep every nap time, but I have done it a few times....my oldest used to juts put her head down and go to sleep everytime I put her in for a nap, so im not used to this crying even tho hes very tired. is it okay to let him "cry himself to sleep" every time?? again, its never more than ten minutes, but still?

cubbie

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 2:43 pm
My 2nd was like that she would wimper for about 2-5 minutes before going to sleep, it took a while until we learnt that that's what she needs to sleep and when we would pick her up to soothe her she would end up getting hysterical, rather than her little whimper. She did this until she was about 18 months, when she suddenly stopped.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 2:48 pm
goodgirl wrote:
my baby is 8 months old and falls asleep on his own, no paci... however, everytime I put him in for a nap or for the night, if he didnt fall asleep on the bottle, he cries anywhere from 5-10 min, never more than 10 minutes... I dont really have time to rock him to sleep every nap time, but I have done it a few times....my oldest used to juts put her head down and go to sleep everytime I put her in for a nap, so im not used to this crying even tho hes very tired. is it okay to let him "cry himself to sleep" every time?? again, its never more than ten minutes, but still?
I could have written this post almost the exact same thing. I used to put my daughter to sleep by rocking her on my shoulder. then one day she just stopped putting her head down and it was nuts. but I decided to just say good night to her, and tell her that I will come and get her when she wakes up (and at night I say shema to her) and BH most times she just goes down, but there are times where she will cry also for about 5 - 10 minutes (there were even a few times where it was a little bit longer).
I dont think that that much (or little) bit of crying is going to be bad. and as my mother said when I told her that I needed a way to put my daughter to sleep, she said that every child has to learn how to put THEMSELVES to sleep at some point. dont worry about them crying for that little bit of time. it will hopefully taper off eventually and then they will just go to sleep.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 2:51 pm
When he doesnt let himself be put to bed easily, I let my 7 m.o. cry for about 2 minutes, then I come and rock him. By then he's tired himself out sufficiently to let himself be rocked. But I dont let him cry himself totally to sleep, I cant stand that.

Seraph

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 3:04 pm
I actually generally do similar to mamabear. When my son is too riled up to go to sleep- wont even lay down/sit down in the crib, I put him in the crib, he cries it out for 5 mins or so, and if he's still crying hard, I go to him and rock him for a minute or two, whisper loving words in his ear and tell him he has to go to sleep, and then he agrees to lay down to go to sleep much more easily. And then he may cry a little more before he falls asleep, but not hysterically. And if he does hysterically, then I repeat. Generally doesnt take more than one or two times.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics