Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Crib->Bed

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 11:43 am
My son will iy"H be 17-18 months when our baby is born bshaah tova in 7 months. Should we transition him to a bed before the baby is born? Have them both in cribs? They'll be sharing a room.

Thanks!

patriot

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 11:46 am
why not?
or you could use a toddler bed, if you are afraid of putting him into a full size one.
I had both DD's in cribs near each other. when I had DS I switched DD 1 to a toddler bed. she's very happy with it, and so am I.

Amital

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 12:03 pm
You can do a mattress on the floor, too. My boys like that.

Either way, get him into what he will be sleeping in a couple of months before you're expecting. You don't want to go messing with routine--minimize change when things will be changing enough! And I have made a big deal about a "big boy bed" when we move them. They get to pick out new sheets and Savta or Grandma buys them a new stuffed animal to welcome them in.

I think the important thing is to decide what you want to do, and then get him into it a few months before baby arrives.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 12:55 pm
You're very brave. My boys are 18 months apart and ds#1 is still in his crib at 2 1/2. I have nightmares about putting him in a bed. Like finding him in the morning baking a cake with all the eggs..

BlumaG

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 12:59 pm
sky thats funny thats ur fear with the eggs cuz my grandmother said when my dad was around 2 1/2 she found him with flour, sugar and eggs ALL over hte kitchen floor ucz he was baking a cake Wink

my first 2 are 18 months apart and the first few months the baby was in a bassinet then went to a crib - s/one gave us a second crib but with the next 2 I put DD into a toddler bed when the baby moved into the crib but she was 2 by then

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 1:00 pm
Amital wrote:
You can do a mattress on the floor, too. My boys like that.

Either way, get him into what he will be sleeping in a couple of months before you're expecting. You don't want to go messing with routine--minimize change when things will be changing enough! And I have made a big deal about a "big boy bed" when we move them. They get to pick out new sheets and Savta or Grandma buys them a new stuffed animal to welcome them in.

I think the important thing is to decide what you want to do, and then get him into it a few months before baby arrives.

Thank you for the suggestions.
I guess I'm also trying to figure out what an appropriate age to switch him is, and what clues I should look for to tell me he's getting ready to make the switch.
(He's my first)

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 1:01 pm
original amother- as well as the post about this one
sky wrote:
You're very brave. My boys are 18 months apart and ds#1 is still in his crib at 2 1/2. I have nightmares about putting him in a bed. Like finding him in the morning baking a cake with all the eggs..

LOL

raizy

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 12:11 am
I had two cribs and one basinet all working at one time.

then I gave my oldest a bed on the floor when I needed the crib for the kid in the basinet.

I had then 2 crib and then I had my forth in the basinet. 2 cribs and a kid on the floor...

and then I put my dd number two in a toddler bed had 2 cribs and my son in a bed and used my basinet.

now if anybody can read this thread and understand it they deserve a medal. it sounds like a bad tongue twister.lol.

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 2:16 am
amother wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions.
I guess I'm also trying to figure out what an appropriate age to switch him is, and what clues I should look for to tell me he's getting ready to make the switch.
(He's my first)

The answer is either when he climbs out of the crib, or when you decide it's time. We moved DS#1 out of the crib when DS#2 was almost ready for it (until then he slept in the playpen). There is a 20 month age difference. He had been sleeping on a mattress on the floor at daycare, so we knew it would be OK. At the time he also hadn't figured out how to open the door yet.

DS#2 is now 15.5 months old, and I'm chalishing to move him into a bed (they will share a room). I want to turn the 2nd bedroom into a playroom for them until it's needed for another baby, and get all the toys out of my living room, bedroom, kitchen...

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 4:00 am
My toddler will be 22 months when he becomes a big brother, b'ezrat Hashem.

The plan is to keep the newborn in a bassinet in my room for the first 3 months or so and then transition the older into a bed and the baby to the crib.

We're borrowing the bassinet and I really can't see spending money on another crib.

mcmom

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 5:41 pm
Changed ds to a bed when he was around 2 1/2, bought a pull-out bed that goes under the crib.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics