Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Making aliyah with an infant

amother

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 3:06 pm
my husband (israeli) and I (american) are considering moving back to israel this summer. I will be making aliyah, and we will be flying with an infant (somewhere between 2-3 months old... I am currently pregnant).

has anyone ever made aliyah with an infant? we do have his family there, so im not so worried... but I do want advice from women who may have been in this situation, as far as the flight (traveling from US to Israel with a 2 month old?) and the first couple weeks settling in. any thoughts or advice would be amazing!

we have already started the process with nbn, so other thoughts would be helpful

Marion

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 11:52 am
Well, I was here already, but we went to visit my parents (actually, I went to visit my parents, DH did not join me) with my not-yet-2-year old and a 7 week old when I was on maternity leave. Honestly, the flight was not so bad.

jackiejoel3

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 12:58 pm
In terms of the flight that is the absolute best time to fly with a baby. They will be just as happy as anywhere and if they get fussy put them in the baby bjorn and walk up and down the isle. Don't worry! It will be fine. For you: If your nursing make sure you drink a ton during and for the first few days after the flight because the plan dehydrates you and Israel is really hot in the summer. Bring enough diapers to make it through at least a few days so you wont run out at midnight when you get here. If you know where you will be going find a doctor before or right away just in case and get the number for tipat Chalav(the well baby clinic) where the baby will have all well baby visits and shots. Make sure you have a sun hat and very thin but covering clothes because the sun is very strong and you may be shlepping baby around in the first few weeks and a baby under 6 months can't use sun screen! Other then that relax and focus on other things the baby will be fine! I made aliyah with a 3 year old a 1 year old and pregnant so if you have any questions feel free!

fiddle

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 1:31 pm
I made aliyah when my child was a month and a half about, he slept the entire way, didnt hear a peep until it was time to feed him....definately the easiest time, no need to entertain a child, they just sleep, pm me if you have any extra questions....good luck!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 9:14 pm
Not aliya-related but my advice is on flying with an infant in general. Some airlines may have a cot in bulk-head seats, so you may want to request that in advance (though airlines won't be able to guarantee this). Make sure you pack EXTRA diapers--you might have flight delays or the airline can misplace your luggage. Young babies may have difficulty adjusting ear pressure which can be uncomfortable during take-off and landing, nursing/feeding seems to help. I also agree that 2-3months are good time for flying--still sleeping good part of the day, not yet mobile, no need to worry about solid foods. BTW, make sure you get the baby's passport/social security done as soon as possible. And get extra copies of birth certificates (you may need to prove his/her citizenship or identity in future).

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 1:13 am
DD was 6 mos old when we made aliya. She did not like the cot we did get. In the airplane she was awake and she slept in our long Amsterdam stop over. The great thing was she gave us 3 more suitcases.

mamacita

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 1:40 am
2mos old is def the best time to fly! I'd recommend bringing a change of clothes for you and and at least 2-3 in the carry-on for the baby. Well, maybe other people's babies explode their nappies less often, but I did this and I used ALL of the extra outfits including my own Sad ew, hehe, B"H I was prepared!

I found that taking my baby to the park was a great way to meet other mommies. Even when they are too small to play, as soon as they can sit up they love to watch the kids and anyway, a little sunshine and fresh air is good for baby and mommy. It also helped me work on my hebrew as I chatted with the other moms. I learned even more when I would take my neighbors kids with on my park trip since I'd have to speak to them in hebrew and speaking to a kid is much easier since simple language can get you by.

hatzlacha!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 11:44 am
OP here:

thanks everyone who has commented so far... ive been nervous about flying with such a young infant, but this is making me feel better!

What would yall recommend as far as things to make sure I have set up there before we arrive? his family is willing to put things together, and DH may head over before to check things out. extra diapers there, a crib... as a first time mom is there anything I should need that im gonna forget?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 5:47 pm
I have not made aliya, and also don't know how easy to get english books, but
I would probably consider child health/development related books to cover the first few years. Like "What to Expect in Baby's First Year" "What to Expect in Toddler Years" etc. and some family health encyclopedia (you should be able to get CD-Rom). I used to get quite nervous everytime my first baby had a low-grade fever or had a little cough or get a rash etc.

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 1:52 am
Those books you can get here. I wouldn't bother, honestly. I wasn't particularly impressed.

shabri

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 2:15 am
I would want to have a place to put the baby down like a bouncy seat or a swing. You'll have lots of unpacking to do and it will be good to have your hands free. Also a baby carrier is a good idea.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:10 pm
Hi OP, I'll be in the same situation! I was really hoping to be able to go before baby. But, the only June flight NbN has available, I'll be 38 weeks along. We can't go before June. Besides the fact El Al says they have a limit of 37 weeks along and that's with their medical clearance. I've had a baby at 37 weeks and two at 38 weeks. So it's really not a sane option for me anyways.

My biggest concern was how am I going to care for baby and my other kiddos in flight. But, we'll just have to make it work! I'm also nervous about all the running around we'll have to do in the beginning with a baby and the other little one.

Someone mentioned a swing or bouncy seat. That's something I wanted to take with us. One of those small, close to the ground, traveling type baby swings. That should be useful when we arrive and they are lightweight and don't take up a lot of space. I'm also hoping to take with me a double stroller.

Whatever else we need for baby, like a crib for future use, we'll just get there. In the beginning baby really doesn't require much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating