Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady doing a puzzle with my daughter!

amother

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 12:52 pm
ok - we have cleaning help frequently - 4 days a week - so she is very familiar with my family. she also does some childcare if I have to run out for carpool, quick grocery etc. but it is erev shabbas and she is doing a puzzle with my daughter!! I would like to stop cleaning/cooking so I can do the puzzle with her - that's why I hired her!!! How do I tell her. " I know that my daugher wants you to do the puzzle but I have a lot more work to do?" sounds so mean. I am so bad at managing help!

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 12:58 pm
if you're paying her to clean, then that's her job. why can't you just say gently, "I would like you to please vacuum the living room now"? You're her employer, and she takes direction from you, not from your dd.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 1:01 pm
I also have cleaning help 4 times a week and she does some babysitting and she's very familiar with my children. How long is the puzzle going to take? 5 minutes, let them finish, but 1/2 hour, try to push yourself in to play with her instead of the cleaning lady, if it's even possible. Does she leave when she's finished or she's there for a certain amount of hours?

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 3:27 pm
Tell her nicely "maybe you first clean the ....., thank you"

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 3:32 pm
I'm guessing the puzzle got finished, the cleaning got done before shabbos and now you're relaxing.

SingALong

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 12:37 am
my cleaning lady who also babysits sometimes will do that to. I think its a part of life. she's a person, you cant have them switch into "cleaning mode" and then "babysitting mode". maybe oyur dd asked for her help so she did, and was trying to be nice.

I would say oh wow thank you ______. my dd loves when you do puzzles with her. please now finish _____cuz lots of work today? I know the feeling I go through it plenty. but I usually just let it go, unless its going on for too long and nothing is getting done. or you can instruct your kid to do something, so once seh leaves, then the cleaning lady will resume cleaning?

Blair

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 6:21 am
Tell her in a very nice way that Shabbos is coming and if there is time after the cleaning maybe she could make the puzzle. If it's only a few more minutes just let her finish, better to do that then have a crying child.

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:38 pm
I would have addressed my child, instead of the cleaning woman. I would have told her (within earshot of the cleaning woman) that shobbos is coming and the cleaning woman has work to do. Just the same way as if my husband were playing with my kids. I might address him, but I usually get better results addressing the child. This way I'm deciding to be the bad guy.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:44 pm
And last Thursday when I thought my cleaning lady was folding laundry, I heard a strange noise. Upon investigation, I found her shaking a toy to my baby who was loving it. What can you do?! Not much. When they come so often and we rely on them so heavily, they end up running our lives!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 5:39 pm
This is old and what's done is done, but I just wanted to say, at least for me. Besides having the cleaning lady come clean, she's also there for my peace of mind and if she was taking 5 minutes to play a game with my dd, that's a peace of mind for me. Now, if she did it all the time, that's another story.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry