Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Dingy Laundry

PeachTree

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 8:50 am
Can anybody help? My white laundry (shirts, underwear, etc.) looks really dingy and yellow. I've tried Yellow Out and it dosen't seem to help much. Does anybody have any ideas on how to avoid it completely or at least on how to get it out once its all ready happened?

bubby

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 8:53 am
It may be from perspiration & I don't think there's anything to do except use them for shmattes & buy new. Sad

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 8:53 am
Try Rit Color Remover on your stovetop, per package directions.
Or try soaking the whites in hot water with Cascade Dishwashing Gel. After soaking for about half an hours, scrub out the stains with a brush. Repeat as necessary. Wash in machine as usual.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 8:54 am
bubby wrote:
It may be from perspiration & I don't think there's anything to do except use them for shmattes & buy new. Sad

You're right, if it's from sweat, the Cascade won't do much. But the Rit Color Remover probably will work well.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 9:02 am
bleach/baking soda/detergent/hot water and some elbow grease as in scrub ... then run through the cycle (I do this over the machine as it's filling) ...

and don't wear whites more than one time and you won't need all the scrubbing - the minute you wear a second time in a row it gets dingier ... 3x fuhgedaboudit !!!

bubby

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 9:18 am
I've never heard of Rit Color Removal. Do you boil it in a bucket like my bubby used to do? Going back in time, I see! LOL

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 9:24 am
bubby wrote:
I've never heard of Rit Color Removal. Do you boil it in a bucket like my bubby used to do? Going back in time, I see! LOL

Yes, you boil up hot water in a large pot with the color remover, and dip the laundry in. Laundry on the stove top, just like in previous generations Smile

bubby

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 9:46 am
Thanks for the info, I'll certainly try it on DH & DS undershirts, which are disgusting.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 10:53 am
bubby wrote:
Thanks for the info, I'll certainly try it on DH & DS undershirts, which are disgusting.

Never tried it on perspiration stains, but I think it can work. I tried it on something that ran terribly, and it was like a miracle. I plan on trying it on dh's shirts too.
Just follow the exact directions on the package.
I was told, but again, I have never tried this, that if you wash the undershirts separately with Wisk Plus Bleach (the solution that comes in a bottle premixed) every single time, from the time that they are white and brand new, then they do not yellow from the perspiration.
I feel like going out and buying dh a whole new set of undershirts! But I doubt I will do it in this economy.

PeachTree

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 12:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Or try soaking the whites in hot water with Cascade Dishwashing Gel. After soaking for about half an hours, scrub out the stains with a brush. Repeat as necessary. Wash in machine as usual.

The laundry has no stains. It is just all dingy and yellow.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 12:12 pm
PeachTree wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

The laundry has no stains. It is just all dingy and yellow.

If it's not sweat stains, and the laundry is just dingy and yellowed, the Cascade Dishwashing Gel (yes the one meant for the dishwasher) should do a wonderful job. I do it all the time.
Soak the whites (also good for solid off-whites) in a basin of hot water and lots of Cascade. After half an hour, scrub the clothes with a brush, particularly in the dingy parts, until they look fresh. If they look like they need more time, continue soaking them, and scrubbing more if necessary. Then pour the clothes together with the liquid they were soaking in, into the washing machine. Add detergent and run through a regular wash.
Let me know how they come out.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Feb 09 2009, 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 12:15 pm
bubby wrote:
I'll certainly try it on DH & DS

you might wanna try a bar of soap & shower first Twisted Evil

Blair

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 12:36 pm
Spray with oxygen and let sit overnight then wash on a high temperature with a good wash powder. If that does not work I guess you have new rags for Pesach cleaning.

LuckyMum

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 2:46 pm
just use bleach in your all white loads - works wonders. Just add 1/2 cup to reg detergent, wash with hot water... keeps my whites bright white!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry