Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where to start? Pilot trip, communities, etc...
Previous  1  2

Tamiri

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 8:54 am
Who was the attorney?

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 8:58 am
Debbie Rosen

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:00 am
Can I ask a dumb question?

What's the difference between Ramat Beit Shemesh and Beit Shemesh? How do you know what all the neighborhoods 'represent'?

I.e. when I was in Israel during my year at Hebrew University (1989-1990) my friend was doing L'vnot U L'hibanot and she was assigned to help Ethiopian olim in Beit Shemesh and she said it was a bit of a ... umm... backwater. I assume things are very different now?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:11 am
Very diff.
When I was growing up here, as late as 1980, it was a town to drive through on the way to Jlm. While it still retains some of it's less affluent, shall we call them, neighborhoods, it's a very "in" place to be. Totally built up, with more to come.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:18 am
How good is your Hebrew? Up north there are some frum communities in Haifa suburbs such as Kiryat Shmuel or Kiryat Motzkin (not American type suburbs these are just small towns with mostly appt buildings near Haifa) you might want to check out that area. Also Nahariya has a small frum community that you might like, I'm sure rent is cheap in that area there is a small hospital in the town and you are half an hour's train ride from Haifa. Also the scenery in that area is great. How about Katsrin in the Golan, it's a beautiful town, very cheap (I think you might get a grant for buying - but ridiculously cheap) no hospital but close to teverya and afula and you will be able to afford a car there. People in the Golan are very laid back and accepting. All Torani schools are seperate in first grade and your DD will not be the only one wearing 3/4 sleeves (although, this might not be the majority), many regualr mamad's in frum areas are also separate.
Ariel might be a good option for you (although not north), also a small town (cheap) very frum community, but a mixed city (so each of you will feel comfortable) and if I'm not mistaken there must be a torani school there, but I guess Yesha would know more details about that.
Petach Tikva is not cheap but might also be an option, although I don't know how much your DH would like it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:24 am
I know who you are and we've been in touch briefly on the other site... Ariel has a university and a diverse Dati community...

And we're less than an hour by bus from Petach Tikvah (and a major spur of the train).

Tamiri

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:25 am
Ariel is probably also a good choice (in the Shomron) with a growing Torani community, about which Yesha can expand.
The thing is, if DH is to be a surgeon, he probably needs to be able to get to the hospital within 20 minutes. It's important to choose a place where he can do this easily, assuming he doesn't have a car.

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:28 am
Tamiri wrote:
Ariel is probably also a good choice (in the Shomron) with a growing Torani community, about which Yesha can expand.
The thing is, if DH is to be a surgeon, he probably needs to be able to get to the hospital within 20 minutes. It's important to choose a place where he can do this easily, assuming he doesn't have a car.

Yes, we would need to be less than 20 mins from the hospital. Even if that means a taxi on occasion. So we have to be somewhere that either we can magically, miraculously afford a car (on the Go North program they are giving subsidies for cars to encourage settling in the north) or is close to the hospital he will be working.

Of course, we have no idea yet where that might be. Sigh. This is where I start to get a bellyache because it seems so overwhelming. On the other hand, if he does the IDF, then theoretically we can live nearly anywhere? Or I guess it depends where he'd be based?

GGAAAAHHHH. How does anyone decide where they'll live if they don't know where their job will be?!

ETA: My Hebrew is so-so. I can understand, and get along enough to deal with the makolet and basic errands, but I will need a major ulpan refresher. Dh's Hebrew is so-far nonexistant, although he is working on it.

I don't think the Golan is realistic b/c of the work situation; also I am not sure I want to be so isolated at least at the outset. All our family and friends are either in the Gush Dan region, Beit Shemesh, or the Yerushalayim/Gush Etzion region, or Haifa. I know that's not the best reason to move somewhere, but I would like to be close to some friendly support, kwim?

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:32 am
YESHASettler wrote:
I know who you are and we've been in touch briefly on the other site... Ariel has a university and a diverse Dati community...

And we're less than an hour by bus from Petach Tikvah (and a major spur of the train).

Ariel has a good intra and inter city bus system? That is a plus. Also, Torani schools? Rentals? The NBN site on Ariel is a little outdated.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:46 am
My neighbor's dh is in the army now as a doctor. Apparently they try to work with you, but in the end they need him where they need him. He's just finishing his training now. There is a base right by MA, but it's luck if they need a doctor at the time your dh is in kwim?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:51 am
Join the Ariel Aliya group arielaliyah-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:04 am
Gsanmb wrote:
Ariel has a good intra and inter city bus system? That is a plus. Also, Torani schools? Rentals? The NBN site on Ariel is a little outdated.

Very good bus services, although we're losing Dan in March so we'll have to see how the service is after. We're down the street from the MAMAD school. There are rentals available and I contacted Avi Z. to let him know he needs to get the NBN Ariel portion updated.

As Tamiri suggested, it's worthwhile to join the Ariel Yahoo group and there's a Facebook as well.

Last edited by BeershevaBubby on Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Tamiri

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:12 am
Something interesting, Jewish geography, OT: there is a guy in Belgium who has been doing the family tree of my father's father's side of the family (I think). He comes to Israel and contacts my parents every so often for updates. Recently, we found that a man in our Yishuv is a relative... from Belgium... how cool is that? In any event, a few months ago the family tree person called me personally from the yishuv relatives house for the first time. I asked if he would email me the tree and he did. It's pretty big, many many names as early as the 17th century. So I did a quick run-thru and found a name, same as Avi's, family name Z under his the father's name, which, when coupled with the Z last name, was totally familiar. Turns out, this Z family lived right up the block from us in NJ but moved to Israel before we did. Avi's father stayed frequently at the same house that my own DH is staying in our old town in NJ.
Turns out, thru Avi's mother's father - we are related. And not that distant either.

shabri

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:14 am
Gsanmb wrote:
Yes. Tongue Out

Oh, right, Nofei Aviv. Rabbi Rosner moved there from our local area last summer and he has quite a following. However, I hear that it is 1) expensive; and 2) difficult in that area if you don't 'fit the mold.' Are those assumptions true/false?

Nofei Hashemesh, which is Rabbi Rosner's new community is different than nearby Nofei Aviv. It is somewhat pricey but you can get a lot. A 3 floor house (4 bedroom + finished basement with extra rooms) goes for abt $425K. They are also building apts and cottages but they are not up yet.

I actually found it more diverse & accepting than other places in Israel.

In terms of your other beit shemesh question, basically BS has many different communities from very chareidi to very secular. RBS is mostly charedi. From what I understand, tough I don't live there, the different groups live in diff neighborhoods & don't really mix

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:12 pm
Rentals depend on how many bedrooms you want, and in which neighbourhood. Let's say anywhere from 2500-4500/month. That's NIS, not USD.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions