Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Recession and weekly food menus
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 7:47 pm
I'm readign these posts and they really interest me because we really have to cut down. We've already cut on food by cooking (I still buy lunch sometimes but maybe twice a month) most days. I also shop in cheaper stores (which are slightly less convienant but worth it).
but I can't understand how some of you have cut out chicken. I don't serve meat but sometimes on a nice shabbos I'll put a meat bone in the cholent or a small pce of meat that gets divided. but chicken? I can't serve pasta or pizza for supper - soup, chicken, potatoes/rice is much more filling (fills you for longer and you don't feel so stuffed) it's also healthier (I shouldn't be eating to much starch).

I'm really amazed at how you guys are managing without chicken.

SingALong

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 10:25 pm
I also dont know how you manage without chicken. I feel that protein is VIP. beans works if your family will eat them. I will try those mashed lentils in veggie burgers or something it sounds like a good idea to add protein..
I noticed that chicken wings seem cheaper than legs, and drumsticks are also a bit less. I started putting 2 wings into my soups and I cut up some pieces for my kids. a supper of 6 drumsticks is also cheaper than a supper of 4 chicken legs.

I usually buy frozen fish (tilapia, sole, or flounder)than fresh, its definitely far cheaper and just as healthy, according to the nutrition label. I just bought frozen salmon, I will see how it comes out.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 10:52 pm
What the non Jews can do

bashinda

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 10:54 pm
B'shaah Tovah Umatzlachas!

YadBinyamom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 3:12 am
Breakfast cereals are very expensive, so I make big batches of homemade granola from whole oats bought in bulk. I have also been serving my family these healthy breakfast bars in the morning:

2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey (or sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 2/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup juice or water
1 tsp. baking powder

mix all the wet ingredients, add the dry. Press into greased square pan and bake at 175C (about 350F) for 40 minutes. Cut into squares and cool. Serve with butter, jelly, etc. Enjoy!

I usually put it together the night before and leave it covered in the fridge, then pop it into the oven in the morning.

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 3:22 am
I don't make chicken during the week, because I don't have time. If we have leftovers from Shabbat, that is what we eat. If not, there are meatballs (chicken/turkey), pasta is VERY filling, rice, potatoes, root veggies, squash. My kids eat very little, and DH does not eat as much as he thinks he does. Also, ready-made schnitzels are not so expensive for me, also fish sticks, so I always have a bag of those in the freezer. We DO eat fish, which is more expensive I think than chicken, but is ready much faster.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:44 am
YadBinyamom wrote:
Breakfast cereals are very expensive, so I make big batches of homemade granola from whole oats bought in bulk. I have also been serving my family these healthy breakfast bars in the morning:

2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey (or sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 2/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup juice or water
1 tsp. baking powder

mix all the wet ingredients, add the dry. Press into greased square pan and bake at 175C (about 350F) for 40 minutes. Cut into squares and cool. Serve with butter, jelly, etc. Enjoy!

I usually put it together the night before and leave it covered in the fridge, then pop it into the oven in the morning.

can I use quick oats?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 8:34 am
My biggest gripe is that supermarkets' own products are much cheaper than the branded products yet many don't carry hechsher. I also find bread from kosher bakeries (we don't get packaged commercial bread that's kosher) and cholov yisroel milk spoil quicker. Oh, well, c'est la vie...
I'm also trying to tackle how to reduce food waste by freezing things I know we won't finish before they go bad.

Oh about my last post, Quorn chicken pieces are off the London Beth Din list, but smoked tofu from a different company just got on the list so I'll use that instead. Good healthy protein, not bland at all, I can just toss in stir-fry.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 8:54 am
DH & the kids eat oatmeal (regular, not instant) made in the microwave and add sweetener, raisins, milk, etc. Lots cheaper than cold cereal.

I get regular instant oatmeal (same price for 10 flavored as 12 regular) and add sweetener, cinnamon, raisins, and add hot water at work (bc I eat breakfast at work). When at home, and not shabbos, I eat regular oatmeal. (so once/week)

We eat lots of eggs (I bring 3 hardboiled eggwhites for lunch most days) and whiting (can get frozen fillets at walmart in a HUGE box) which goes with "anything" bc it's bland.

Our starch is often rice or pasta with dinners.

I also buy nonperishables on a monthly basis (or stuff I'll store in my fridge for a month) and what we run out of, we run out of. ie. margarine, cheese, etc. So either we pace how we eat it or we accept not having at all for a week or two. We don't starve, and we have all food groups, etc. BH

louche

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 9:06 am
Tamiri wrote:
What the non Jews can do

But you probably wouldn't. Have you seen what that stuff looks like? I've seen dog food that looks more appetizing.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 9:15 am
We eat a lot of beans, and when I make chicken during the week, it's in a stir fry, so it's usually a half pound (or less of chicken strips).

Tonight I made a big crock pot soup with potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, split peas, onions. We'll eat it with toasted bread.

I like to make curries, which are heavy on vegetables and oftentimes has little or no chicken. We rarely eat beef during the week.

I generally supplement each meal with soup and we'll often have sandwiches (such as omelette sandwiches, bean burgers, deli, etc.)

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 9:49 am
We're still eating a lot of chicken, but more drumsticks and wings, fewer cutlets. Very little red meat (none during the week, maybe once a month on Shabbat). Leftovers are eaten as is or recycled into chicken fried rice or some such dish.

I'm using less expensive ground turkey instead of ground beef for dishes, including stuffed peppers, or using a combination.

We're using fewer convenience foods, and I'm cooking more. I made chicken soup for the first time ever last week. DH griped, but he ate 3 bowls.

I'm no longer brand loyal; I buy what's on sale. There's nothing wrong with Tree Ripe OJ, or with the new brand of hummus that was 1/2 off. I'm even trying to buy the large size of yougurt and put it in plastic containers to take to work.

DH used to love the convenience of paper plates. It always bothered me, but it wasn't worth fighting over. Now I've agreed that I'll clean up, so we use real plates and flatware to save money.

We used to buy a lot of fruit once a week, but it was pretty funky by the end of the week, and often thrown out. Now I buy less, but twice a week.

Lots of rice and lots of veggies to stretch meals.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen