Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
I know... I should ask my LOR but I am sure someone knows...

debsters1101

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 10:06 am
Can I melt cheese onto pasta that was cooked in an eino ben yomo fleishik pot?

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 10:10 am
we learned yes- you can't cook in the flaishig pot w/ the intention of doing that- but bidieved if the pot was aino ben yomo you may mix milchigs w/ the dish you cooked. (this is ashkenaz - sefardi may be different)

ETA if you need my source pm me.

debsters1101

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 11:32 am
I'm bumping this because it's been a busy morning at imamother and it's already off the front page! and I want to see if more people have learned the same as aidelmom.
tia ladies!

cassandra

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 11:53 am
I learned you cannot. If you already mixed it together you may it eat it, but if you haven't yet mixed it together you may not do so.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 11:55 am
I learned "bedieved" but I'm not sure practically what bedieved means in this case. (ashkenaz)

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 11:56 am
I believe that something htat was cooked in a flaishig pot cannot be eaten with milchigs.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 11:56 am
cassandra wrote:
I learned you cannot. If you already mixed it together you may it eat it, but if you haven't yet mixed it together you may not do so.

Interesting. You didn't learn about any difference between aino ben yomo and ben yomo in this case?

shalhevet

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 12:53 pm
Ashkenazim cannot eat milky together with food cooked in a flaishig pot, whether or not it's ben yomo. You can eat milky straight afterwards. The ben yomo only affects the kashrus of foods cooked in the pot (like you cooked your pasta and cheese in a meaty pot by mistake).

For Sephardim the halacha is different, and I think they can (not sure).

grin

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 12:57 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I learned "bedieved" but I'm not sure practically what bedieved means in this case. (ashkenaz)
it means that if you mixed it already because you forgot - that the pot was fleishik, or such - then bedieved you can eat it, but you can't cook them together (melting I think would be like cooking) or mix them together lechatchila.

mom2bsn

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 1:27 pm
I always learned that if something was made in a fleishig pot whether the pot was a ben yomo or not you cant eat it with milchigs and vice verca

debsters1101

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 2:24 pm
Since there is no consensus, I shall go ahead and ask my rav like I should have done to begin with :-)
Thanks Ladies!
I really need to get me a parve pot....

Strawberry

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 3:11 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Ashkenazim cannot eat milky together with food cooked in a flaishig pot, whether or not it's ben yomo. You can eat milky straight afterwards. The ben yomo only affects the kashrus of foods cooked in the pot (like you cooked your pasta and cheese in a meaty pot by mistake).

I learned the same thing.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 3:39 pm
grin wrote:
NotInNJMommy wrote:
it means that if you mixed it already because you forgot - that the pot was fleishik, or such - then bedieved you can eat it, but you can't cook them together (melting I think would be like cooking) or mix them together lechatchila.

I've heard bedieved to possibly mean less strict than this. I know what others wrote, and I know I've learned different things re: bedieved, but since I've rarely had this shailah, and in fact it wasn't so important to put cheese on it, in my case, I just nixed the cheese and avoided actually needing the answer to the shailah. If you are ashkenaz, I'd ask your rav where the line is that "bedieved it's allowed" for you.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 4:11 pm
Strawberry wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

I learned the same thing.

wow im really surprised. I learned what I posted quite clearly from a rabbi you prob know.

pacifier

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:12 pm
Sepharadim definitely can. I do it all the time!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen