Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Worcestershire sauce and turkey

mommalah

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:19 pm
Can I use worcestershire sauce in my turkey meatloaf recipe?

louche

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:23 pm
you can, but be aware that genuine worcestershire sauce contains anchovies and is labeled (U) fish. if you don't mix fish and poultry, you may not use genuine worcestershire sauce with any poultry.

mommalah

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:39 pm
louche wrote:
you can, but be aware that genuine worcestershire sauce contains anchovies and is labeled (U) fish. if you don't mix fish and poultry, you may not use genuine worcestershire sauce with any poultry.

A U label means fish? I have a bottle of Heinz Worcestershire sauce, has an OU, and anchovies are listed as the 2nd to last ingredient. I don't see a U anywhere.

louche

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:43 pm
no, that's an OU, which unless your word processor has the OU logo on it, you type as (U). I can't tell you why Heinz doesn't label theirs "fish", but if the label says anchovies, it's fish!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:43 pm
If you want a vegetarian homemade recipe... I don't know if you have these ingredients in the house, but here goes. (The only thing from this list that I normally don't have in the house is molasses.)

Ingredients
• 2 cups brown sugar
• 1 small green apple, cored, peeled and finely diced
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/4 tsp ground cloves
• 1/4 tsp allspice
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 1 Tbsp honey
• 1 Tbsp molasses
Preparation
Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until all ingredients are mixed. Cover and simmer approximately one hour (keep an eye on it and simmer for less time if needed). Rub through a strainer. Some of the sediment needs to come through into the sauce as Worcestershire sauce traditionally has sediment at the bottom of the bottle. This recipe yields approximately 2 cups. The sauce can be stored in a screw-top bottle for several weeks.

Otherwise, you can substitute it for soy sauce, but it won't have the same flavor.

Btw, Gefen makes a Parve version.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

louche

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:44 pm
There MAY be opinions that the anchovies are batel beshishim, but since they're in there to give taste, I don't see how that would be true.

Seraph

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:44 pm
However, as always, ask your LOR, as I know some rabbanim (not mine though) allow worcestershire sauce with fleishigs because its not in fish form. Ask ask ask...

mommalah

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:52 pm
Can't get through to LOR. Anchovies are listed as the 2nd to last ingredient in a list of 10 ingredients...Gotta make dinner....

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:53 pm
mommalah wrote:
Can't get through to LOR. Anchovies are listed as the 2nd to last ingredient in a list of 10 ingredients...Gotta make dinner....

Is it a meatloaf? I would just use soy sauce this time.

mommalah

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:58 pm
Soy sauce it is... Sad

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 1:00 pm
Some rabbis will allow if if the anchovies make up less than 1/60 of total. Also, for next time, there are worcestershire sauces that do not contain fish.

I agree with ra_mom: substitute soy sauce.

alpidarkomama

Post Fri, Mar 06 2009, 3:09 am
I keep one bottle of fish W sauce and one bottle of (really) pareve W sauce. The fish one tastes better, but I like to use W sauce to make BBQ sauce which, of course, goes great on chicken. Smile Our regular grocery store has both kinds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen