Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler Girl Hernia

amother

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 10:58 am
I just came back from doc with dd & she has a hernia. I never knew this can happen to girls! My dd is 2 and I am so scared! Anyone had this? What is the recovery time after surgery? I was referred to doctor Stock in Mt Siana anyone heard of him???

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 11:06 am
One of my twins has a hernia. She's had it since birth. Can't help about the surgery, because my doctor said he just wants to keep on cheking it and if it hasn't closed by the time is 6 we will consider surgery.

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 1:31 pm
My son was diagnosed with a hernia in the groin area when he was a little under 2. It is more common in boys than in girls, but it can occur in girls as well. We used dr. howard ginsburg in NYU. he was excellent. He is the head of pediatric surgery there. When ds came home from the surgery he was very cranky and he fell asleep ( we first gave him tylenol). When he woke up he was walking around carefully. within hours he was climbing. By the next day he was acting fine.

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 1:31 pm
also would like to add- if it is an umbilical hernia- you are supposed to wait a couple of years. If it is a hernia in the diaper area, then they do surgery as soon as possible.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 2:10 pm
My husband had to have a inguinal hernia repair when he was 3. My MIL said the hardest part was denying him food before the procedure, but that basically after the anesthesia/sedatives wore off, he was back to himself.

My ds has an umbilical hernia, and while it's gotten much smaller, it hasn't closed yet....and bli ayin hara he'll be 4 soon. I don't want him to need a surgery either Sad

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 3:18 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
My husband had to have a inguinal hernia repair when he was 3. My MIL said the hardest part was denying him food before the procedure, but that basically after the anesthesia/sedatives wore off, he was back to himself.

MSad

yes, that part was hard. That's why we tried to schedule as early as possible in the morning.

momomany

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 5:29 pm
My daughter was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia at about 7-8 months I think. She had it repaired at at about 10 months by Dr. Glassberg. He has an office in Boro Park. The surgery was done in Columbia Presbytarian Babies Hospital. We had impeccable, very professional care & bh a very easy quick recovery.

mamacita

Post Fri, Mar 06 2009, 1:22 pm
um, I had mine done when I was an adult not a toddler, but if you want to know about the recovery you can PM me to hear about how mine went.

octopus

Post Sat, Mar 07 2009, 4:41 pm
recovery in children is much faster than in adults. In toddlers it's about a day. In older kids it's about two weeks. In adults it takes a while.

mamacita

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 2:10 pm
I know children heal faster, but my recovery took 6wks and after that I wasn't 100% for another month or two. I can't believe a toddler would be running around the next day. A half or maybe a fourth of the recovery, but a day?

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 2:23 pm
mamacita wrote:
I know children heal faster, but my recovery took 6wks and after that I wasn't 100% for another month or two. I can't believe a toddler would be running around the next day. A half or maybe a fourth of the recovery, but a day?

I know it's amazing. Ds had hernia surgery and he was up and walking within hours. Climbing by the afternoon, and completely better the next day. The scars took time to heal, but he was fine. Children really heal quickly. Adults are incapacitated for weeks, but children bounce back. I also couldn't believe it until I saw it myself.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 3:20 pm
OP. Does the scar completely heal or will she stay with a scar forever?

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 3:48 pm
My son had it one side, but they checked the other side- so he has two pale white lines (though at first they were red).

momomany

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 6:01 pm
My daughter had surgery on a Friday morning (at about 10months old). She never seemed to need the codeine, & did just fine on tylenol. She was tired, but seemed pain free Friday night & was crawling around the next morning. She had both sides done & I was surprised at the length of the scars on her tiny body. They were glued shut & either the bruising was bad or the glue was purplish, but they looked scary. She did not notice them. She is now two years old & there is barely any discernible scar. No bump at all & if you examine really closely, in 1 side you can discern a very faint line.

mamacita

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 7:47 pm
Incredible! I wish mine had healed that fast! Then again I did get to drive one of those little carts in Walmart Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics