Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
General Tso Chicken

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 12:59 pm
I made this a few weeks ago and really liked it. It tasted just like General Tso from a restaurant.

To make the meal go quickly prep everything the day or night before and store in the fridge. To make this easy to understand I have changed the terms to cornstarch slurry and sauce. The first is used to coat the chicken for frying, the second to coat the fried chicken. HTH I use a grater with small holes for the ginger and garlic or you can just zip all the sauce ingredients up in a blender or food processor. Enjoy!
by mama's kitchen

40 min | 20 min prep
SERVES 8
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 cups green onions, sliced
8 small dried chilies, seeds removed (chile pequin, bird's eye, etc..)

Cornstarch slurry
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 egg, beaten
1 cup cornstarch
I think it'll be easier to beat the egg, add the soy sauce, put that in a ziploc bag, coat the chicken in that, and then put the chicken in a ziploc bag with the cornstarch. Using the actual slurry mixture didn't work very well for me (DG).

Sauce
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sherry wine or white wine
14 1/2 ounces chicken broth (a can)

Place sauce ingredients in a quart jar with a lid and shake to mix. If you make this ahead of time just refrigerate until needed, shaking it again when you are ready to use it.

Mix cornstarch slurry in a large bowl- the mixture will be strange but trust me it works. Add chicken pieces to coat. Using a fork remove ONE chicken piece at a time and let the excess mixture drip off. Add it to the hot (350 degree) oil and fry until crispy. Only cook 7 or 8 chicken pieces at a time.
Drain on paper towels. Repeating until all chicken is fried.

In a separate wok or large skillet add a small amount of oil and heat to 400 degrees.

Add green onions and hot peppers and stir fry about 30 seconds. (I also added broccoli - DG)
Stir sauce mixture, and then add to pan with onions and peppers, cook until thick. If it gets too thick, add a little water.

Add chicken to sauce in wok, and cook until all is hot and bubbly.
Serve over rice.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 1:03 pm
this sounds amazing! can't wait to try it for dinner next week!

justmom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 1:14 pm
I made this also-- we must have gotten it from the same recipe on the internet-- the trust me it works line stuck with me-- if you mix the slurry enough it coats the chicken very nicely.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 1:17 pm
how do you think this recipe would work for friday night?
I usually leave my chicken on the blech/hot plate.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 1:18 pm
Did you put the slurry in a bowl and then dip the pieces in it?

I put it into a ziploc bag b/c that's how I usually coat my chicken, and it didn't work out so well that way.

I just don't have the patience to dip the chicken pieces in a bowl, so next time I'll do what someone suggested on recipezaar which was use the separate ziploc bags of cornstarch and egg/soy sauce mixture.

I think next time I'll also put the sauce on the chicken right before serving, then the chicken will stay crispy.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 1:19 pm
I made it for shabbos dinner. I kept it in the oven after I turned it off. It was good, but I think it's the type of recipe that tastes better if it's served immediately.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 2:02 pm
Suggestion: dredge the chicken peices into plain corn starch first, and then the egg-soysauce mixture. double dipping but effective.

justmom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 3:04 pm
I dipped it in a bowl-- and only a few pieces at a time like the recipe suggested-- very time consuming, and honestly, not the greatest hit with the family--kept the recipe though because I thought it was very good.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 5:01 pm
Just emailed it to DH to print. Gonna try it tomorrow night.

mimivan

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 7:25 pm
can't wait to try it..we just had Chinese tonight (Chocoloate Moose's Sesame chicken..) so I'll have to put it on the agenda for next week.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 10:29 am
Defy - I prepared the 2 sauces last night. Are you sure I'm gonna be able to dip the chicken into the slurry? It's soooo thick!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 10:34 am
I was able to do it, but that's why I gave the modification I did, because for me, it was difficult to use the slurry. I think if you put it into a bowl and dip the pieces in, you should be fine. However, next time I make it, I'm going to do the modifications I mentioned in the recipe.

Keep in mind, the slurry is supposed to be a fairly dry mixture, it's not wet. It's like dipping the chicken in a slightly wet flour mixture.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 2:59 pm
I read the whole recipe but misunderstood. I threw away the slurry & did your modification. Looks good. I'll let you know how it tasted after we eat it.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 3:25 pm
Let me know how it turns out.

Tila

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 2:33 pm
GOTCHA!!! I will try it!!! How to print this....

Tila

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 11:16 am
I made it!! The slurry was NOT hard to work with. If you do not cook with your hands and fingers I can understand that it would be difficult. Like you have to stick your fingers in the mush to seperate the pieces. It was really good!! I would use less chillis next time. As well, I would add more sugar and more ginger. I defrosted a costco size pkg of breasts (we get Chai poltry at our costco;frozen). So I made pineapple chicken and cranberry mustard chicken as well. EVERYTHING was finished by tueday!!

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 11:34 am
I'm glad to hear it came out well. Last night I made Kung Pao chicken - I really really liked it!

I have no problem with touching chicken, I'm just lazy and didn't want to dip all the pieces, so I thought that I would be able to put it into a bag and shake it - and it didn't work so well that way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey