Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Challenge- Argue the Opposite Position 2010
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

sequoia

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:00 pm
shosh wrote:

* If something terrible happens, ch'v, then at least everyone gets to be in the newspapers.

Social workers say that?!

shosh

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:02 pm
sequoia wrote:
shosh wrote:

* If something terrible happens, ch'v, then at least everyone gets to be in the newspapers.

Social workers say that?!

No, just my cynical British sense of humour again, as usual! Wink

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:13 pm
seraph- spending alot of money is good.

GO!!!

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:30 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
"There are some premises that cannot be defended, either intellectually or due to one's conscience."

Touche'.

I've been trying to come up with some arguments that support cosleeping and I seriously can't. Sad

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:33 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
"There are some premises that cannot be defended, either intellectually or due to one's conscience."

Touche'.

I've been trying to come up with some arguments that support cosleeping and I seriously can't. Sad

I'm fine with cosleeping; I did it with all my kids when I was nursing till they could sleep through the night. But I'm kind of a detached parent otherwise ;-)

sneakermom

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:46 pm
The Benefits of Spanking.

In today's society we deal with issues related to kids who are very egocentric and have a skewed conception that the world begins and ends with them. Once upon a time kids understood that adults ran the world and they had to look upward to adults to learn from them and earn their parent's approval.

Children did not get stuck in a downward spiral of needing every thought or whim met by parents who bend over backwards to fulfill them. If they worked hard and succeeded they made their parent's proud if they did something wrong they were spanked and learned that mistakes can hurt and require retribution.

This instilled in children from an early age a sense of morality and responsibility. The mild physical pain of spankings brought the message clear even to a young child that doing bad doesn't pay and it created a visceral distaste for wrongdoing. Spankings also humbled a child and taught them not to be to "big for their britches", while at the same time strengthened the child because they learned they can accept punishment and still survive.

If we as a society would recognize the old time, true value of spankings our kids might come out stronger, more humble and with a better sense of morality.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:50 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Touche'.

I'm fine with cosleeping; I did it with all my kids when I was nursing till they could sleep through the night. But I'm kind of a detached parent otherwise ;-)

Sigh.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:54 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Touche'.

Sigh.

Sorry, I guess I don't know you well enough to get this, and I missed something trying to catch up after a week away.
Not sure if your sigh is because of my lack of appreciation for real cosleeping, my detached parenting quip or what.
I'll try to keep with the thread's program.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 9:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Touche'.

Sigh.

Sorry, I guess I don't know you well enough to get this, and I missed something trying to catch up after a week away.
Not sure if your sigh is because of my lack of appreciation for real cosleeping, my detached parenting quip or what.

Very Happy I don't think I'll ever be able to understand how a parent can risk this. Yes, safety precations blahblahblah. I know that I feel this way due to having had a stillborn, but it is what it is for me. It's enough for me to know that in the gemorah it says that the deepest sleep a person experiences is while breastfeeding.

bubby

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 9:28 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Touche'.

Sigh.

Very Happy I don't think I'll ever be able to understand how a parent can risk this. Yes, safety precations blahblahblah. I know that I feel this way due to having had a stillborn, but it is what it is for me. It's enough for me to know that in the gemorah it says that the deepest sleep a person experiences is while breastfeeding.

Totally OT, but here's another vote for no co-sleeping. EVER.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 9:33 pm
bubby wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Touche'.

Sigh.

Totally OT, but here's another vote for no co-sleeping. EVER.

Knowing THREE women personally that smothered their babies to death that way doesn't help me be in favor of that.

marina

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 9:41 pm
I just want to say how impressed I am with those of you who really took this challenge seriously and stepped out of your comfort zones to argue the opposite position. I am so impressed.

Yes, of course somethings are indefensible (I cannot bring myself to argue that anyone other than the police should be called in a molestation case), but for the most part being able to step out of your shoes and see the world from someone else's perspective is very intellectually healthy.

As an aside, it also makes me respect your actual opinion more because I see that you really have the ability to evaluate both sides and make an carefully-weighed choice.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 9:42 pm
marina wrote:
I just want to say how impressed I am with those of you who really took this challenge seriously and stepped out of your comfort zones to argue the opposite position. I am so impressed.

Yes, of course somethings are indefensible (I cannot bring myself to argue that anyone other than the police should be called in a molestation case), but for the most part being able to step out of your shoes and see the world from someone else's perspective is very intellectually healthy.

As an aside, it also makes me respect your actual opinion more because I see that you really have the ability to evaluate both sides and make an carefully-weighed choice.

I do tend to be able to see things from both sides, which is why I have a hard time arguing the opposite position. I mentally went through a list of stuff that I generally believe, but for most of them, I was able to see the opposite viewpoint.

crush

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 11:28 pm
--

Last edited by crush on Mon, Oct 18 2010, 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

crush

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 11:28 pm
I really liked the idea of arguing in favor of attacking under amother. Can't anybody defend that?? I'm not so good at arguing, but here, I'll try:
Sometimes people have something really important to say, or they feel that a certain poster is very wrong about something, and needs to be told that. However, they have very low self-confidence, and they know that everyone would make fun of them if they posted under their own screen name. Knowing that they wouldn't have the guts to attack under their own name, for fear that people won't like them anymore, the situation is such that they either post anonymously or don't post at all--and it really needs to be said. So, their hands are tied. They simply MUST post anonymously. Don't you understand?
Ok, that wasn't that good. But hey, this is really hard to defend. Someone else try, please!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 11:48 pm
crush wrote:
Someone else try, please!

some rules are just made to be broken. I mean, just look at this idiotic thread. a bunch of women who can't even decide which side to butter their bread on. someone's gotta set them straight. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

enneamom

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
crush wrote:

some rules are just made to be broken. I mean, just look at this idiotic thread. a bunch of women who can't even decide which side to butter their bread on. someone's gotta set them straight. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

And here we have a perfect argument...AGAINST attacking others under amother.

crush

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 12:11 am
enneamom wrote:
amother wrote:
crush wrote:

LOL I think this amother was joking, showing her support for attacking under amother. At least I hope so! Well it's funny, complete with all the eye rolls.
amother, care to say who you really are? I won't dislike you cuz of it, promise! Smile
This thread is so funny Nervous

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 12:17 am
crush wrote:
enneamom wrote:
amother wrote:
crush wrote:

LOL I think this amother was joking, showing her support for attacking under amother. At least I hope so! Well it's funny, complete with all the eye rolls.
amother, care to say who you really are? I won't dislike you cuz of it, promise! Smile

Alright. I'll come out just to tell you that it's the second time I've used amother since joining imamother, so I thought I qualified to give the rejoinder, (the other time was also on some humor thread) Smile. Oh, and the capital "I" in that post was a typo.

enneamom

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 12:31 am
poelmamosh wrote:
crush wrote:
enneamom wrote:
amother wrote:
crush wrote:

Alright. I'll come out just to tell you that it's the second time I've used amother since joining imamother, so I thought I qualified to give the rejoinder, (the other time was also on some humor thread) Smile. Oh, and the capital "I" in that post was a typo.

Oh. embarrassed
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics