Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Best product to IMPORT from Israel or Europe ?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 10:26 am
They have the Kugel Kal thing in 7 Mile Market in Baltimore.

dilego

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 10:49 am
´sarahd if I remember correctly the ingredient is something derived fvrom wine,I can´t remember exactly

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 4:19 pm
- Proper English mature cheddar cheese
- French cold cuts
- Ethnic Delight's sauces, chutneys, relishes (now Mrs Elswood selling 'em here)
- M&S and Next has tons of long-length skirts
- Hotwater bottles and swiss flasks? (ok you may have them in the US...)

On mayo, I prefer french one that comes in a jar, either garlic or citron one.

farm

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 4:24 pm
Quote:
What do you mean, if they go by that halacha? That's the halacha. You don't believe in batel beshishim? If a drop of milk spilled into your chicken soup, would you throw it out? I hope not, because you would be over bal tashchis.

sarahd, I'm certainly no kashrus expert, but there is a world of difference between l'chatchila and b'dieved

cassandra

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 4:30 pm
farm wrote:
Quote:
What do you mean, if they go by that halacha? That's the halacha. You don't believe in batel beshishim? If a drop of milk spilled into your chicken soup, would you throw it out? I hope not, because you would be over bal tashchis.

sarahd, I'm certainly no kashrus expert, but there is a world of difference between l'chatchila and b'dieved

That's exactly the point! It wasn't made for Jews, but it has the ingredient in it, so it wasn't being mevatel l'chatchila, it's already there and bidieved you can eat it.

The same reasoning applies to buying milk without a KLP symbol before Pesach-- because if there is any chometz in it it's mevatel when chametz is not assur, but you cannot be mevatel chametz on Pesach itself.

farm

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 4:35 pm
Quote:
bidieved you can eat it.

That's exactly the point! I'd rather not eat something that b'dieved I can eat.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 5:09 pm
DrMom wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
DrMom wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
Sarahd, thanks for elaborating. You're right about people here not buying food without a hechsher on the packaging- its not really on their radar.

I don't doubt the kashrus of thomy- I think people don't realize how much stricter the rabbanim in Europe are when allowing an item to be put on the list, vs the relative laxity when institutions like the ou here give a hechsher. I'm not putting down the ou, just saying that the standards for items on the list in Europe are a lot higher than most here.

Did the OU give Thomy a hecsher? If not, then to what specifically are you referring? Question

Sorry if I wasn't clear (on a Monday morning Wink ). No, the OU does not certify Thomy. I was comparing the general standards for kashrus in Europe to the standards applied by American hashgachos such as the OU. In other words, the Rabbanim who compile the Swiss kosher list are much stricter than many of the rabbanim who give hechsherim here in the States.

For example, Thomy is considered kosher despite a non-kosher ingredient, which is batel beshishim. The OU allows far greater leniencies on kosher products.

Hmmm... well if everyone considers it kosher and is willing to eat it, then whether any particular agency will grant it a hashgacha seems like a completely academic discussion (to me, anyway).

And unless you know that the OU does indeed grant hecshers to products with trace ingredients of treif purposely added it, then how can you claim they are lax on this matter? (still confused)

BTW, I looked found the ingredient list for Thomy. I assume the brandy vinegar is the problem.
http://www.europeanmarketonlin......html

Honestly, I'm only repeating what I've heard from someone in the kashrus world- I don't personally dabble in these issues 8) . And I'm immensely grateful for the OU and the widespread availability of food under their hashgacha. I believe part of that is related to their willingness to rely on certain kulos, but I'm not letting that stop me from eating it.

baba

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 5:15 pm
dilego wrote:
´sarahd if I remember correctly the ingredient is something derived fvrom wine,I can´t remember exactly

I just used it this evening and checked the ingredients. It doesnt mention wine or anything else that wouldn't be kosher.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 5:28 pm
energy11 wrote:
Can't wait to get my hand on some of this mayo!!

Do you know of any other product with the status of Thomy mayo in regards to the non-kosher secret ingredient? Wink

Just curious..

ribena and robinsons fruit squash (the purple ones) contains an extract of grapeskin. Some people drink it and some don't.

Come to think of it, how about importing Ribena and Jaffa cakes. (which are mysteriously called pims now) And kosher marmite from South Africa.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 9:48 pm
I'd venture to say that the best product to import would not be something specifically kosher or marketed towards the Jewish consumer. That's assuming you want to import for financial gain, and not as a personal favor towards your community.

ray379

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 11:00 pm
I miss eating kosher skittles that my madrichot from England used to bring for us when I was in sem. Yum!

de_goldy

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 11:33 pm
How about alpha chocs from australia?? and heimishe cookies while we're at it... Oh, and lego's tomato paste...

mo5

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 3:32 am
de_goldy wrote:
How about alpha chocs from australia?? and heimishe cookies while we're at it... Oh, and lego's tomato paste...

Speaking of kosher lists...leggos hasn't been on it for some time.
(and it also comes ina tube :-)

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 3:49 am
Disclaimer: I am not a kashrut expert, nor a halacha expert.

I never knew that whether or not the food in question was prepared specifically for Jews made a difference when it comes to batel beshishim.

I was taught about this concept in a very simplistic manner: If a drop of milk accidentally falls into your chicken soup pot, then if the amount is <1 part in 60, it's okay -- you can still eat it. But you can't use a chicken soup recipe that calls for the deliberate addition of a small amount of milk. I never knew that the deliberate addition of such food was okay if it was not specifially intended for a Jewish consumer.

What is the reasoning behind this? If someone can point me to a source, I'd appreciate it.

I apologize if this is something trivial to everyone else here. I did not grow up frum, so there are some holes in my background, I suppose. embarrassed

Raisin

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 3:53 am
ray379 wrote:
I miss eating kosher skittles that my madrichot from England used to bring for us when I was in sem. Yum!

not kosher anymore.

Oh, how about boil in a bag rice and tomato paste in tubes?

cc

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 4:19 am
Drmom I grew up ffb and never heard that heter to make things for non jews. I heard that you should always try to eat the most kosher possible and 1 in 60 is a heter. If you dont have to eat that pot of chicken soup with milk then better not too. If you want to rely on it fine, but if I have a choice then I'll go for the stricter opinion.

shabri

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 4:32 am
cassandra wrote:
farm wrote:
Quote:

That's exactly the point! It wasn't made for Jews, but it has the ingredient in it, so it wasn't being mevatel l'chatchila, it's already there and bidieved you can eat it.

The same reasoning applies to buying milk without a KLP symbol before Pesach-- because if there is any chometz in it it's mevatel when chametz is not assur, but you cannot be mevatel chametz on Pesach itself.

With milk and pesach its different since its not for sure that chometz fell in there, just that if chametz did, it can be batel before pesach but not on pesach itself.

In this case, you know that there is a non kosher ingredient it there. I never heard that ein mevatlin issur lichatchila only applies if it was being manufactured for Jews.

zipporah

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 4:51 am
Raisin wrote:
ray379 wrote:

not kosher anymore.

Oh, how about boil in a bag rice and tomato paste in tubes?

I saw boil in a bag rice in stores... why is it better? (I don't cook, so I don't know...) and same with the tomato paste in a tube... what is it good for? Is it also because it's easier to decorate with?

I wish we had a "like" button. Sometimes people are saying exactly what I'm thinking, but I don't want to just post "me too". embarrassed

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 4:55 am
cc wrote:
Drmom I grew up ffb and never heard that heter to make things for non jews. I heard that you should always try to eat the most kosher possible and 1 in 60 is a heter. If you dont have to eat that pot of chicken soup with milk then better not too. If you want to rely on it fine, but if I have a choice then I'll go for the stricter opinion.

Also (not saying halacha here, just a thought) I imagine it is different when you have to choose between bal tashchis (throwing out the soup you already made) and being stringent if it's okay bedieved, and going to deliberately buy something that is only kosher bedieved.

I never heard of this halacha either (that something is mitbatel if it is made for non-Jews), but surely people should be aiming for the highest possible kashrus they can. If it means paying double for a better hechsher, I can understand. But you can't buy a different, slightly-less-heavenly-tasting-mayo?

dilego

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 7:02 am
the mentioned ingredient is not mentioned on the tube b/c its less than 2 % of the whole recipy
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars