Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Welcome to THE coolest Frum fashion and lifestyle blog!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 5:42 pm
amother wrote:
Sharon,
I was always taught that dressing Tznius means dressing in a way that does not call attention to ones self.
Tznius does not mean covering up arms/leg/neck- and that is why it is possible for someone to have all the right areas "covered up" and not be dressed Tzanuah.
Nothing to do with dressing in black or dark colors etc....
Tznius is an image. The image of a Jewish Woman.
And thats why even though all of the clothing and pictures on your blog cover up the correct areas, they are not all Tzanuah.
It seems as if you have great talent and it would be amazing if you could keep the above in mind when posting your outfits.
Good Luck with your new venture!

Are you this person in real life?

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 7:13 pm
Omg! Forget the clothes and the figure- I covet your kitchen!!!! Smile Oh and what you call a mess...Wink

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 10:15 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Omg! Forget the clothes and the figure- I covet your kitchen!!!! Smile Oh and what you call a mess...Wink

I think it's time to start a two survey spinoff:
Who likes the kitchen?
And how do you define mess?

lollygirl

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 10:19 pm
DROOLING over your kitchen!!! (oh, and nice blog) LOL

yummymummy

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 10:49 pm
Wow! I think your blog is great - please don't take the tznius criticism you see here to heart, clearly your blog is not meant for those posters. For those of us who are likeminded your blog is a wonderful treat and I'd love to see more interior design posts, thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 11:31 am
"For those of us who are likeminded"

No such thing as "likeminded" when it comes to Halachah.

summerlove

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 11:37 am
Loving your blog! (although im not sure if im allowed to say so Tongue Out )

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 2:44 pm
summerlove wrote:

Well, if you noticed the amother immediately prior to you (and amother, please join in and get a discussion going! Unless you have already) you would be wise to delete your earlier post, and ask the mods to delete this one too.

(And mods, when we getting that tongue in cheek emoticon?)

yummymummy

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:

you do realize your black and white, "it's my way or the highway" approach isn't winning over too many converts, right?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 4:11 pm
yummymummy wrote:
amother wrote:

you do realize your black and white, "it's my way or the highway" approach isn't winning over too many converts, right?

Yes, this is what I was thinking.
If someone has reservations, voice them, specifically. I have.
And I have no issue with going amother either.
And I also think it's perfectly legitimate to go amother and say something like, this rubs me the wrong way, I'm sorry I can't say specifically how. Or saying something like, these are the widely acceptable standards, and I'm hesitant to try to open a discussion because I'm afraid of being talked down by better-spoken or louder-spoken imamothers.
All of that is fine, IMO.
So amother, you don't have to be so concise. Use your tisha kabin well. Go for it.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 4:24 pm
I have to admit I find the thought the response that "black and white is not winning many converts" slightly ludicrous.
halacha does not change based on whether it is winning converts it never has and it never will.
I once heard a speach from Rabbi Akiva Tatz explaining this in depth how basically Judaisim is concerned with quality not quantity.
As other posters have written. we do not have to bash others for their nisyonos but please those who have nisyonos should really refrain from "changing the goal posts".
Don't maka what is wrong right and then act as if what is clear is not so clear.
That is the tool of the Yetzer Horah as explained by many of the great mussar seforim.
To wear tight clothing is not tznius.
To wear Bright flashy clothing that is basically designed to attract attention is against the very essence of Tznius.
This is clear, perfectly clear to anyone willing to really examine the issue.
We may have nisyonos keeping this in mind every day and each and every person deals with their nisyonos in their own way.
However if we start saying what is wrong is right then it leaves the realm of a "test" and determines that it is a "fait accompli" the Yetzer Horah has won.

penguin

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 4:29 pm
As noted, this is being promoted as "Frum fashion". Someone's version of frum. But not according to many others.

A question for all of you - including OP.

Say you're going to Rav Chaim Kanievsky for a brocha (or maybe you can only meet the Rebbetzin, I'm not sure). Are you going in wearing one of the featured outfits?

I don't mean to imply you have to wear all black & look dowdy. But look into your closet, please, and tell me yourself honestly, how many outfits there you're going to feel comfortable wearing on the specified occasion?

And, for those who see some clothing you're not willing to wear to meet a highly respected Torah Sage, can you explain why not?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 4:38 pm
I absolutely love your blogging style. You seem extremely creative and I LIKE!

However, how can advertise your blog as "Tznius" and "modest"?! It completely portrays the opposite. I can not even begin to understand why most of the outfits you show are considered tznius? I really don't mean to bash, but I was really taken by surprise when I looked into your blog. If it hadn't been posted on Imamother and if it wouldn't have Jewish content written, I would have never imagined that it was blogged by a frum woman portraying ftznius and fashionable looks.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 6:13 pm
amother wrote:
I absolutely love your blogging style. You seem extremely creative and I LIKE!

However, how can advertise your blog as "Tznius" and "modest"?! It completely portrays the opposite. I can not even begin to understand why most of the outfits you show are considered tznius? I really don't mean to bash, but I was really taken by surprise when I looked into your blog. If it hadn't been posted on Imamother and if it wouldn't have Jewish content written, I would have never imagined that it was blogged by a frum woman portraying ftznius and fashionable looks.

I would appreciate if you could explain what EXACTLY is not tznius about the outfits? I dress like this and I am now beginning to feel self conscious about it, based on a few amothers here who say that it is outright not tznius. All body parts that need to be covered, are covered... so PLEASE DO EXPLAIN!
for example, what is untznius about these two work outfits??
http://kosherstreet.com/2011/0.....ooks/

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 6:21 pm
I don't think those were the looks that were objected to. The "super tight shirts and tight pencil skirts with 3 inch plus heels plus the heavy makeup and long trendy sheitel with a heavy hand of sequins and flashy accessories" look was more of the issue. That's not the entire blog, of course, just part of it. The letter of the law vs the spirit of the law was the argument.....

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 6:30 pm
whts wrong with a long sheital?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:

I would appreciate if you could explain what EXACTLY is not tznius about the outfits? I dress like this and I am now beginning to feel self conscious about it, based on a few amothers here who say that it is outright not tznius. All body parts that need to be covered, are covered... so PLEASE DO EXPLAIN!
/

To explain: As one of the amothers wrote above and which I was taught as well:

"Tznius does not mean covering up arms/leg/neck- and that is why it is possible for someone to have all the right areas "covered up" and not be dressed Tzanuah.
Nothing to do with dressing in black or dark colors etc....
Tznius is an image. The image of a Jewish Woman.
And thats why even though all of the clothing and pictures on your blog cover up the correct areas, they are not all Tzanuah. "

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 6:39 pm
well then how do you suggest one dresses in the modern world who wants to look presentable and not from the 1800's. I am 26 and would like to know what I should be wearing? I want to feel good about how I look and not be in baggy clothes which are not at all in style and make me look much Bigger.

summerlove

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 6:41 pm
[quote="PinkFridge"]
summerlove wrote:

Well, if you noticed the amother immediately prior to you (and amother, please join in and get a discussion going! Unless you have already) you would be wise to delete your earlier post, and ask the mods to delete this one too.

(And mods, when we getting that tongue in cheek emoticon?)[/quote

sorry, completely lost you! what u on about??? Confused

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 6:46 pm
There's nothing wrong with a long sheitel on its own or a few sequins on a sweater. It's when things are done in excess and put together a certain way. There's a difference between looking trendy or looking good in general and looking s-xy. Higher heels on their own aren't necessaril s-xy but put together with a tight pencil skirt and a tight shell and some sequin covered top and the heels aren't helped the tsnius aspect of the look any.
Page 7 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics