Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do You Love Shabbos?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do You Love Shabbos?
Yes!  
 76%  [ 73 ]
Are you kidding? with the kids home all day? No way!  
 5%  [ 5 ]
only if I get to go away (or buy take-out)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I wouldn't say "love," but I do like Shabbos.  
 17%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 95

shayna82

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 10:53 am
I also love shabbos, although towards the end I get ansy to clean everything up already. but I do look forward every week, by wednesday im dying to sit and read with no computer, phone, cooking, shopping.

Tefila

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:15 pm
Quote:
love Shabbos....
I wait the whole week and look forward to it every second.

Ditto and for us it's great family time Wink during the week it's hard for us all to connect at the same time but With shabbos it forces us too. It makes one appreciate the truly important things in their life.... Tongue Out

queen

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:31 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The speaker was Shloimtzy Weiss

If this is the Shloimtzy that is from Israel, and went to Gateshead for seminary.... PLEASE PM AND LET ME KNOW HER NUMBER.

THanks!!!

cindy324

Post Sat, Jun 17 2006, 7:39 pm
Quote:
cindy324 wrote:
I agree with you MOtek

Exclamation

(Just wanted to copy this so that you can't retract later, saying you have never agreed with Motek. Very Happy

I'll have you know Crayon, that I agreed with her ONCE before, so there!
May have been even twice... Wink

Crayon210

Post Sat, Jun 17 2006, 8:15 pm
And I think you've agreed with me once or twice. Wow! Moshiach is knocking on my door! :-D

amother

Post Sat, Jun 17 2006, 8:16 pm
The highlight of my Shabbos is going to shul Shabbos morning and hearing Krias HaTorah. I also love the long Shabbos afternoons when there is time for my husband to learn with the children, and there are shiurim for my daughter. We sometimes learn Pirkei Avos together, and it's very enjoyable.

When the children were younger, and I was home on Shabbos, I enjoyed being home with the baby, and davening at home, and getting the older children ready for shul. Every stage has it's plusses. Smile

Here's the part I "don't like" the most: cleaning off the table after the Friday night meal, especially on the long summer shabbosim. It's a daunting task to find/make room in the refrigerator for all the leftover food to go back in. The soup pot, the chicken tray, the kugel tray, the fish tray,the salad etc.

it takes me at least an hour, sometimes more! On a summer Friday night, I can go to sleep at 2:00.

newu

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 10:58 am
I live for shabbos. without it I can't imagine what my life would be like. I'd never stop running around doing things. But even as a child I loved shabbos. I still remember being in elementary school and the librarian only worked 3 days a week. I guess she wasn't coming in on one wednesday and so that Tuesday, I remember her saying to someone, Have a good shabbos! I remember thinking Yay! That must mean Shabbos is almost here!

Also, sometimes as soon as shabbos is over the 1st song that pops into my mind is, shabbos is coming, we're so happy.....
It's just always something special to look forward to!

imanut

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 11:24 am
it's my favorite day of the week b/c dh can't work Smile

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
The highlight of my Shabbos is going to shul Shabbos morning and hearing Krias HaTorah. I also love the long Shabbos afternoons when there is time for my husband to learn with the children, and there are shiurim for my daughter. We sometimes learn Pirkei Avos together, and it's very enjoyable.

Lots of posters wrote about relaxing and family time. Glad to see this post about the spiritual side of Shabbos!

I can't remember when, but long, long ago, I decided no secular reading on Shabbos.
I also like hearing the kerias ha'Torah.

I enjoy the spirited Shabbos table discussions, usually about burning spiritual issues of the day (sometimes Imamother topics!). If they stay friendly, albeit passionate, they're really great.

Anybody else see Shabbos as their "spiritual" time? Any shiurim?

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 2:20 pm
Quote:

Yes a chance to each of us say and listen to a divrei torah incl me Very Happy

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 2:26 pm
I am still trying to get that guest speaker's phone number. Also, I assumed that everyone went to shiurim on Shabbos and that no one read secular books on Shabbos (except in the bathroom). I think that there are shailos about reading books that are in preparation for the work week, such as a gardening manual for a garden that I am planning. I think that if girls have let's say, a history test in secular studies, that they don't study it on Shabbos.
Am I right or somewhat off base?
I do like to take a walk on Shabbos. I feel especially lucky to be able to do that now. I really like pirkei avos but some of them I need to learn in more detail.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 2:36 pm
Motek wrote:
amother wrote:

Lots of posters wrote about relaxing and family time. Glad to see this post about the spiritual side of Shabbos!

I can't remember when, but long, long ago, I decided no secular reading on Shabbos.
I also like hearing the kerias ha'Torah.

I enjoy the spirited Shabbos table discussions, usually about burning spiritual issues of the day (sometimes Imamother topics!). If they stay friendly, albeit passionate, they're really great.

It's not always practical for mothers of young children to go to shul (what's shul? Confused ) or shiurim (many years ago Study ).

Since when did taking care of our children stop being a spiritual activity for a Jewish woman?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 7:17 pm
I finally reached Shloimtzy Weiss. She is from England, took her teachers training in Manchester and went to kiruv training in EY. She doesn't have internet but is interested in us so you can call her at 718-853-7246 if you have questions. The source that she used was the book by Rabbi Dessler called Strive for the Truth volume #4 called Sanctuaries in Time.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 7:23 pm
I will admit straight out that Shabbos is not an easy day for me because of the stresses involved in all the preparation. I do love having guests but I just cant do it to myself every week.

I am used to thinking of Shabbos as a day off, but since I have young kids, I need to start changing the way I think about Shabbos, and just love Shabbos for the day it is that Hashem gave us.

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 20 2006, 8:58 am
southernbubby wrote:
Also, I assumed that everyone went to shiurim on Shabbos

?! you did?

Quote:
and that no one read secular books on Shabbos

I'm not talking about books for tests or work, but fiction, non-fiction for one's enjoyment or edification.

mummyof6 wrote:
It's not always practical for mothers of young children to go to shul (what's shul? Confused ) or shiurim (many years ago Study ).

True, especially with no eiruv. Yet some women make a point of learning through the parsha with Rashi (can be done at home with interruptions), for example. For some, reading a Jewish newspaper like HaModia or Jewish magazine like Mishpacha on Shabbos is their spiritual lift with inspiring stories etc.

Quote:
Since when did taking care of our children stop being a spiritual activity for a Jewish woman?

I won't respond to that here, but will start a new thread on that Smile

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jun 20 2006, 9:02 am
In communities such as Detroit, mens and ladies shiurim are at different times so that the fathers can watch the kids and the moms can go to a shiur. If a mother wants to attend a shiur, it is possible. If she doesn't, she may find herself cooped up without adult company for a long period. I used to hire teenaged girls to babysit on Shabbos afternoon so that I could go to the shiur.

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 10:12 am
Dr. A. Twerski writes passionately of his love for Shabbos in "Generation to Generation":

Quote:
You have good reason to be joyful and merry. You are never more than 72 hours away from Shabbos, the great Shabbos that was or the one that will be.

Although Shabbos was a frequent celebration, it never became boring and never lost its uniqueness.

Even as a child, I do not recall envying other children whose activities were unrestricted, because they could listen to the radio, go to the movies and ball games, go for rides, or do any of the things which were prohibited for me.

By noon Friday, the aroma of gefilte fish and fresh challa filled the house. Friday night we partook of these delicacies as well as a peppered lokshen kugel. Shabbos morning I awoke to the aroma of chulent which permeated the house. Kiddish on Shabbos morning was graced by two kugels which mother made weekly, a lokshen kugel and a sweet kugel. There is probably no more potent sedative than cholent plus kugel plus kiddush wine plus eggs with onion or chopped liver, and this often resulted in an afternoon nap.

Although some toys and games were not permitted, we played word games galore or went for long hikes.

As a child, I could not understand, what do people who do not observe Shabbos do for pleasure? I am now much older and have seen a great deal of the world. I still ask the same question.

suomynona

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 11:48 am
ldd wrote:
I live for shabbos. without it I can't imagine what my life would be like.

Ditto. At then end of a busy week, when I sit down after I light candles to read, it's pure Heaven on earth.

Motek

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 10:43 am
reviving two years later

Clarissa

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 10:50 am
I love it. When my friends (very few of whom are observant) ask me what I like most about being married to my husband, who brought all of this to my life, I always answer Shabbat. It's been incredible, and I look forward to it all week.

I wrote this elsewhere on the board -- my grandfather was sickly all his life, and my parents always said that he would never have lived as long (not a long life, as he died at 60, but longer than expected) had it not been for Shabbos. The rest, the being at his shul, the disconnect from the everyday.

It's the sweetest time. Cooking, singing, eating, talking, reading, etc. As most of you know, we're a family with outside stuff coming into our home (tv, computer, etc.) so to have days with nothing like that to separate us is valuable. Sometimes just cleaning up, quietly talking, or reading out loud to the other while one cleans is special time for us.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics