Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Do the teachers wipe your children in school?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do the teachers wipe your children
no  
 42%  [ 25 ]
yes  
 45%  [ 27 ]
other - details please  
 11%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 59

jba

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 6:02 pm
DD is 4 and they don't wipe her at school. She comed home every day with a 'hurt tushi'. I clean her (every day) and usually before bed I have to put cream on. I hate the system but I can't figure out how to teach her to clean her self better.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 6:20 pm
My daughter is 3. She somehow knows when to go: AT HOME!! 8)
I guess I should say B"H because I know she will be wiped and clean!
I don't know what the policy is at her school...
How would I teach her to wipe herself?? She gets so nervous when I tell her to take a wipe or tissue and try.
She says: "I can't reach!"
Can't imagine her walking around all day at school smelling like #2! shock

campmommy

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 6:27 pm
I've taught my 3-4 yr. olds, plus I give them a bath every day. I have no idea what the school policy is, but if they do a half decent job themselves and then you bathe them in the evening, they shouldn't have any problems. Plus, like others said, many children just don't go in school. (I know I didn't as a kid, even as a teenager, cause I couldn't stand being in a public bathroom for more than two minutes!)

mamacita

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 7:53 pm
My dd says that the morah will wipe if the go #2 but won't wipe for #1, which makes sense to me. I still have to figure out a way to teach her to wipe better because she gets itchy down there pretty often these days and even with me cleaning her at home we haven't kept ahead of it. Poor thing!

bubby

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 7:54 pm
I really hope not...he's 20!

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:14 am
bubby wrote:

This thread is in the preschoolers subforum.

Marigold

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:18 am
My 4 yr old doesn't get wiped either and I'm not that much bothered by it. Maybe it's bec. she doesn't do the #2 business in school for precisely the above reason. (that's what she said)

It'd be nice though to have the teacher wipe her nose or wash her face when she comes home. Now don't get me started on that! Mad

amother

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:28 am
When I toilet trained, I taught how wiping is part of going to the bathroom. Same with washing hands afterwards. It needs to be intilled and engrained from the start.
In playgroup, up until dc was 3 years old the teachers helped them in the bathroom. (At the beginning of the year they changed diapers.)
In nursery dc was more than 3 and was expected to use the bathroom herself. At that point she knew how to wipe herself from being wet, and was learning how to wipe herself when soiled.
I give baths every night so it was okay if she came not perfectly clean.
At home she uses baby wipes when she is soiled, and slowly she has learned, through my prompting and repeating over and over "first wipe. then look at the baby wipe. if it's comes out dirty then take another wipe and wipe again. keep wiping until the baby wipe comes out clean."
At this point BH she can wipe herself beautifully even at home.
It CAN be done.

Merrymom

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 2:40 pm
I know it's hard for teachers to be wiping all day long but it's not reasonable to expect it from a 3 year old. I wouldn't send to a place that can't keep them clean.

octopus

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 4:19 pm
campmommy wrote:
I've taught my 3-4 yr. olds, plus I give them a bath every day. I have no idea what the school policy is, but if they do a half decent job themselves and then you bathe them in the evening, they shouldn't have any problems. Plus, like others said, many children just don't go in school. (I know I didn't as a kid, even as a teenager, cause I couldn't stand being in a public bathroom for more than two minutes!)

If a child has very sensitive skin, even with the bath every night, a child's skin can be very irritated. I know from my own very sensitive skin children.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 4:20 pm
octopus wrote:
campmommy wrote:

If a child has very sensitive skin, even with the bath every night, a child's skin can be very irritated. I know from my own very sensitive skin children.
Your should try to find out about sending baby wipes for your child to use in school.

boymom

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 7:23 pm
This whole "no wiping kids" business is so ridiculous! I cant believe schools are actually that way. I am a headstart teacher in a legal school and everyone there is expected to wipe the kids - 3-5 year olds. we even have to change them if they have an accident. like if your disgusted then u shouldnt be a teacher for kids.
about the poster that said its impossible to wipe bec. there are other kids to manage... well if its during circle, the kid will wait a few min. cuz your circle shouldnt be so long anyway. there is always a solution. kids should not be getting rashes....is that called taking care of them????
im like rambling on bec I was so annoyed when I read the original post.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:55 pm
bh in my kids school, the teachers wipe the kids.
even so my 4 yr old tells me that she never does #2 in school.

it just bothers me that when I wipe my 3 yr old, he bends over all the way. my dd used to do this as well. theyre obviously being told to do that in school
its not that I dont trust the teachers, and I understand that it makes it easier to wipe, but it just feels uncomfortable for me.

gem

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:21 pm
boymom wrote:
I am a headstart teacher in a legal school and everyone there is expected to wipe the kids - 3-5 year olds. we even have to change them if they have an accident.

This is interesting. I used to teach in a headstart program. We were told that according to program policy, when children were in the pre-k class (which I taught), we were no longer allowed to wipe. Younger children (in toddler and preschool classes) got help wiping, and of course infants were changed. But the policy for the pre-k class was that we were no longer allowed to wipe (although if a child had an accident, we helped him/her get cleaned up and changed). I imagine the policy had more to do with preparing the children for entering kindergarten than anything else.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 2:28 am
This has nothing to do with helping a little ki or not helping.. I have been a teacher for many yers from little kids all the way up/.. No I would never wipe a kids bottom. I wont even help a boy with his snap pn hi s pants five an older...I wont touch a child. The mother comes out in us and we want to help but I would never never put myself in a situation where I got near a childs private area..not its the year 2010 and many inocent people have gone to jail for something a kid made up. sorry teach your kid to take care of themselves or u do it when they get home...not me..and I love kids and I love to teach and I have many kids and grandkids but I have seen to much.

boymom

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 5:31 pm
gem wrote:
boymom wrote:
I am a headstart teacher in a legal school and everyone there is expected to wipe the kids - 3-5 year olds. we even have to change them if they have an accident.

This is interesting. I used to teach in a headstart program. We were told that according to program policy, when children were in the pre-k class (which I taught), we were no longer allowed to wipe. Younger children (in toddler and preschool classes) got help wiping, and of course infants were changed. But the policy for the pre-k class was that we were no longer allowed to wipe (although if a child had an accident, we helped him/her get cleaned up and changed). I imagine the policy had more to do with preparing the children for entering kindergarten than anything else.

what do you mean by pre k. how is it different than preschool? I thought pre k was preschool?
the school where I teach its only preschool.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 5:42 pm
Hmm... in my school the teachers certainly would help a child who needs help wiping (wearing gloves, of course), the same way we change diapers that need changing. In my experience though, the vast majority of the children are able to wipe themselves - which makes me surprised to read this thread. Now I am wondering if there are kids in school who tell us they are fine on their own, whose parents are upset that we are not helping them. If that is the case, we are certainly not aware.

gem

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 1:39 am
boymom wrote:
gem wrote:
boymom wrote:

what do you mean by pre k. how is it different than preschool? I thought pre k was preschool?
the school where I teach its only preschool.

The school where I was had preschool as younger 3s and pre-k as older 3s and younger 4s. The real difference was in the way the classes were structured. The pre-k was focused more on skill-building in preparation for entering the more academic kindergarten setting. It's a very large headstart center-- more than 300 children and families receive services (infants, toddlers, preschool, pre-k as well as prenatal classes and home-based services).

bubby

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 5:23 am
the world's best mom wrote:
bubby wrote:

This thread is in the preschoolers subforum.

C'mon....lighten up! Rolling Eyes J O K E

Merrymom

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 7:01 am
amother wrote:
This has nothing to do with helping a little ki or not helping.. I have been a teacher for many yers from little kids all the way up/.. No I would never wipe a kids bottom. I wont even help a boy with his snap pn hi s pants five an older...I wont touch a child. The mother comes out in us and we want to help but I would never never put myself in a situation where I got near a childs private area..not its the year 2010 and many inocent people have gone to jail for something a kid made up. sorry teach your kid to take care of themselves or u do it when they get home...not me..and I love kids and I love to teach and I have many kids and grandkids but I have seen to much.

It's really hard to take this post seriously but on the half of a one percent chance that this is actually a legit post, well I'm so glad you're not my kid's teacher because that is one of the most loony things I ever heard of in my life.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers