Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Just curious
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Choose one of these that best fit your description
Lubavitch  
 40%  [ 32 ]
chassidish  
 22%  [ 18 ]
litvish  
 7%  [ 6 ]
yeshivish  
 15%  [ 12 ]
modern orthodox  
 15%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 80

ShiraMiri

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 3:54 pm
I put Litvish because my husband has a solid Yeshivah background but he works. He calls us centrist orthodox.

redhot

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 3:59 pm
decided to delete.

momofgirls

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 4:36 pm
Ok, when I split chassidish & lubavitch was since lubavitch is a chassidus not chassidish. In my book chassidish=shtreimal/spodek of those sorts not just hats.
Why does everything have to become an argument, you all know excatly what I meant.
I was just simply curious what the majority of imamother is.

technic

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 4:51 pm
momofgirls wrote:

Why does everything have to become an argument, you all know excatly what I meant.

bcos thats just how it is in imamother world!!! Rolling Eyes

(and 4 the record - modern ortho Wink )

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 4:55 pm
me and Mindy and countless others have tried to explain it a few times already.
Yes Lubavitch are Chassidim. but different kind of Chassidim..
the chasiddish that the OP meant, is Satmar, Belz, and the like..
lubavitch is Chassidish and satmar is Chaseeeeeeeeeedish.

it's a different kind of chassidish, but yes, lubavithcers are chassidish, they are not chaseedish (at least most of them don't go dressed chaseedish).

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 4:58 pm
You mean, Chabad Chassidim don't wear Chagas levushim.

What sets Chabad apart is not gashmious or chitzonius, but pnimius.

redhot

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:07 pm
SaraG wrote:

I will have to disagree with that statement sarag. While I am sure Chabad is very special in what it stands for (I.e. pnimius) , there is also a clear 'look' to the typcial lubavich male. It is VERY different that a typical 'chasidish' male and a modern orth, or litvish, or yeshivish.

So, consequently- chabad is set apart in its chitzonius as well. Just ask anyone to pick out the lubavich guy, and it can be done quite easily.

(This is not a negative post at all. Just noting an observation. I quite like the look of a guy in jeans with a long beard. I happen to find it adorable )(not to say that ALL lubavich males dress that way of course!!)

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:07 pm
Lubab, litvish-friendly

gryp

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:15 pm
Quote:
I quite like the look of a guy in jeans with a long beard.

thats not quite the look, you know. Rolling Eyes

Crayon210

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:16 pm
sthillmom wrote:
SaraG wrote:

I will have to disagree with that statement sarag. While I am sure Chabad is very special in what it stands for (I.e. pnimius) , there is also a clear 'look' to the typcial lubavich male. It is VERY different that a typical 'chasidish' male and a modern orth, or litvish, or yeshivish.

What SaraG meant is that that's not the ikar of what sets us apart. There's more to Chabad Chassidus than levush, or lack thereof. Confused

Quote:
So, consequently- chabad is set apart in its chitzonius as well. Just ask anyone to pick out the lubavich guy, and it can be done quite easily.

That doesn't make Chabad more or less chassidish (not addressing the poster in this case, just explaining).

Quote:
(This is not a negative post at all. Just noting an observation. I quite like the look of a guy in jeans with a long beard. I happen to find it adorable )(not to say that ALL lubavich males dress that way of course!!)

That's NOT Chabad "levush". shock

redhot

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:18 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
sthillmom wrote:
SaraG wrote:

What SaraG meant is that that's not the ikar of what sets us apart. There's more to Chabad Chassidus than levush, or lack thereof. Confused

Quote:

That doesn't make Chabad more or less chassidish (not addressing the poster in this case, just explaining).

Quote:

That's NOT Chabad "levush". shock

it may not be chabad livush.. but am I the only one who notices that the younger lubavich men are the only ones around who would wear jeans with a long beard?? maybe im totally off. im sorry if I offended. I just htought its nice how these men will be careful with keeping their beards, even when they want to dress more 'modern'. I thought it was a good thing. Sorry.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:18 pm
momofgirls wrote:
Ok, when I split chassidish & lubavitch was since lubavitch is a chassidus not chassidish.

Do you realize how silly that sounds? Chassidish is just the adjective form of the noun Chassidus or Chasid, meaning "like chassidus or a chasid".

Quote:
In my book chassidish=shtreimal/spodek of those sorts not just hats.

Well that's not what chassidish means, so your book is not correct.

gryp

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:35 pm
Quote:
but am I the only one who notices that the younger lubavich men are the only ones around who would wear jeans with a long beard??

youre talking about some people who want a more modern lifestyle, so yes, it is a good thing that they (the ones you know) still have kept their beards.

come visit Crown Heights or another Lubavitch community. Jeans is not on the list of acceptable appropriate clothing!

carrot

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:49 pm
I don't know, jeans may not be "on the list of acceptable appropriate clothing" but I know lots and lots of Lubav guys who have full beards and at times wear somewhat casual clothing. Let's say polo shirts. I suspect it is a uniquely Lubavitch look and I don't see anything wrong with it, especially when not all settings call for the penguin suit.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:57 pm
There might not be anything wrong, but I don't think the Rebbe would define Chabad levush as jeans and a polo shirt.

red sea

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 6:38 pm
I don't know which to vote, I dont fit squarely in. Ok, I think my subcategory has got to get itself a name Exclamation

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 6:49 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
There might not be anything wrong, but I don't think the Rebbe would define Chabad levush as jeans and a polo shirt.

Maybe the Rebbe wouldn't define Chabad levush as jeans and a polo shirt, but it's known that Lubavitchers dress more casually and more trendy than their chassidishe counterparts.

If there was a roomful of "chasseedishe" men, a Lubavitcher would stick out like a sore thumb.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 6:55 pm
That doesn't change the fact that the Chabad levush is not jeans and a polo shirt, and that Lubavitchers are chassidish.

carrot

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 6:58 pm
why does everything come down to ideaology?

bandcm

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 7:06 pm
If he was mainstream Lubavitch, he would stick out because his jacket is short and his hat is a fedora and not, I donĀ“t know, what is the material that Poylisher chassidim wear on weekdays?
Those are the only differences.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics