Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Do you light Chanukah candles?
Previous  1  2

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 11:04 am
Growing up, all of us lit, including all the girls starting I think at age 3, except my mother. In my own household all the children light starting at age three, but my dd stopped when she was bas mitzvah. She lit for chinuch reasons and it's fun Smile , but now she's just yotzei from the boys., like I am.

cm

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 11:14 am
Everyone lights!

b from nj

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 11:17 am
I'm yotzei with my DH but my 2 DDs & 1DS light their own!

imamiri

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 11:51 am
Both DH and I light. DD is too little still.

Happy18

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 11:54 am
Only DH lights.

ElTam

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 12:05 pm
My husband is yotze me.

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 1:09 pm
My husband lights for all of us. I do miss doing it for myself though.

My daughter has a little menorah, and she puts finger puppets shaped like candles on her menorah. (She is little, and this is fun for her.)

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 1:20 pm
my husband is motzei me and all children light. I have tended to feel a little "left out", being the only person in the room that does not light, but that is my husband's minhag. I try to feel a husband/wife unity by my not lighting. And I definitely sing Haneiros halalu and Maoz Tzur.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 8:00 pm
One thing I don't understand - people are always trying to take on more mitzvos. Wouldn't this be an easy one to take on? Especially if your minhag is NOT one per family.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 10:44 pm
Well this year I'm helping DD light because she's old enough for candles but not old enough to hold one on her own. Maybe next year I'll light my own. Smile

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 11:39 pm
Yes, of course I do.

chani8

Post Tue, Dec 11 2012, 10:33 am
saw50st8 wrote:
One thing I don't understand - people are always trying to take on more mitzvos. Wouldn't this be an easy one to take on? Especially if your minhag is NOT one per family.

Trying to take on more mitzvos? I'm trying to do all the mitzvos that I am meant to do. If you haven't taken on all the required ones, then taking on lighting when you are not chiyuv, seems silly to me.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 11 2012, 10:01 pm
I'm with dh

dee's mommy

Post Tue, Dec 11 2012, 11:36 pm
chani8 wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

Trying to take on more mitzvos? I'm trying to do all the mitzvos that I am meant to do. If you haven't taken on all the required ones, then taking on lighting when you are not chiyuv, seems silly to me.

I think the question is something along the lines of why don't some women light their own menorahs. I think it has to do with community norms. In some communities, when the husband lights, it is like his wife is lighting too, because they are "one person." This works with other mitzvos too. When he was single, my husband lit Shabbos candles. After we married, only I lit, because it was on behalf of both of us. It is like he is lighting too. When I was single, I said kiddush and havdalah on my own. After we married, my husband said it on behalf of both of us. It is like we are both doing this mitzvah. It works the same way with menorah in certain communities/ families.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics