Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning lady threw out my cake
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Inspired

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:45 am
That is very sad. I would be super annoyed if it happened to me. kudos for you for taking it so calmly. I agree with Shiffy, ask her about it.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 2:35 am
OP, please find out when you see her next what exactly happened. I have dealt with many housekeepers over the years and they have done many flakey things, many baffling things - but this is just wow. I have to know!!!

Peanut2

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 2:58 am
My first thought was also that she accidentally knocked it over or otherwise unintentionally ruined it.

You should ask her.

I'd cry.

freidasima

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 5:44 am
which is why despite dh's requests to get someone to help me, I won't have a cleaning lady until I absolutely have to healthwise.

sarahd

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 5:59 am
I also figured she knocked it down by mistake. Let us know if that's what happened.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 7:07 am
Sayonara, cleaning lady.
I wouldn't wait until the next incident happens - I'd be constantly worrying what crazy unpredictable thing she'll do next. BTDT but nothing as bizarre as this cake story.
My kids absolutely loved Amelia Bedelia but it just irritated me that her employers kept her on despite the damage that she caused. (I know, I know, she baked great pies).

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 9:51 am
my cleaner threw out a brand new bouquet of roses my dh brought for YT. he had put it outside for it to get some air and she just cut the steams and threw it in the bin.

Very curious about what happened to the cake.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 11:12 am
OP, I cannot, for the life of me, fathom why you didn't ask her about it??

You should've... OK too late for shud've cud've... You might still want to approach her in a polite, non confrontational manner and say something like;
"Maria dear, you know the cake I baked for Avi's birthday, I placed it on the table this morning and can't seem to find it. Did you perhaps you pack it away somewhere? frig? freezer? pantry somewhere? I can't seem to find it...

marina

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 12:56 pm
etky wrote:
Sayonara, cleaning lady.
I wouldn't wait until the next incident happens - I'd be constantly worrying what crazy unpredictable thing she'll do next. BTDT but nothing as bizarre as this cake story.
My kids absolutely loved Amelia Bedelia but it just irritated me that her employers kept her on despite the damage that she caused. (I know, I know, she baked great pies).

Jeez, I hope you never make a mistake at work.

And I hate Amelia Bedelia. She's a total moron, constantly gets things wrong, and, of course, she rescues her self by...baking a cake. That's a role model for my kids.

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 12:59 pm
marina wrote:
etky wrote:
Sayonara, cleaning lady.

And I hate Amelia Bedelia. She's a total moron, constantly gets things wrong, and, of course, she rescues her self by...baking a cake. That's a role model for my kids.

Yes. I find the making fun of this woman, who has no chance to defend herself, to be incredibly distasteful.

BTW, I figure she saw what she assumed to be leftover food just sitting on a table, and threw it out.

sequoia

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:00 pm
Lol marina characters don't have to be role models. Sometimes a book is just for fun.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:10 pm
Barbara wrote:
marina wrote:
etky wrote:
Sayonara, cleaning lady.

Yes. I find the making fun of this woman, who has no chance to defend herself, to be incredibly distasteful.

BTW, I figure she saw what she assumed to be leftover food just sitting on a table, and threw it out.

How would one think that a whole cake looks like leftover food? And who throws out leftover food that can still be eaten?

I think that when you hire someone to do a job, it's fair to assume that they have a minimum of the common sense that's necessary for that job. If it's a job in a technical field, you can train them, but for housekeeping, it's really, really hard to tell someone all the commonsense knowledge that they'll need to know in order to perform satisfactorily.

Like freidasima said, stories like this are the reason that I don't have hired help, even though I badly need it.

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:16 pm
marina wrote:
etky wrote:
Sayonara, cleaning lady.

There are mistakes, and there are idiotic mistakes. If I do any of the latter, yes, I will lose my job. Disappearing a whole cake, especially one that was in a cover, and clearly untouched, falls into the idiotic category. Better the humor than the invective.

I don't like Amelia Bedelia either.

punchike

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 3:56 pm
Op, I totally get it. My cleaning lady dumped a huge pot of freshly cooked chicken soup before yomtov. Carefully cooked and simmered for hours.

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 4:06 pm
punchike wrote:
Op, I totally get it. My cleaning lady dumped a huge pot of freshly cooked chicken soup before yomtov. Carefully cooked and simmered for hours.

my cleaning lady once threw away chicken soup too. In her defence it was defrosted chicken soup so there were no vegetables or anything. I guess she thought it was a pot of leftover cooking water.

despite the occasionally stupid things my cleaning lady does I still need her more. I try not to have her do stuff she is clearly not capable of eg putting away clothes.

sequoia

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 4:32 pm
OP, ask her already. What are we guessing for?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 6:30 pm
Op here. I called her today to tell her I was missing a cake and did she come across it and put it away. She said she had seen it and thought it was garbage since it wasn't in the fridge shock Like I said, fully frosted, with writing and sitting in a cake dome! How she could have thought that is beyond me. Seems I'm now on the lookout for a new person. Oh well, as a previous poster said, a few years from now, it will be a funny family story...

skinny

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 7:05 pm
garbage shmarbage she either took it home or ate the whole thing on spot

Nicole

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 7:07 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. I called her today to tell her I was missing a cake and did she come across it and put it away. She said she had seen it and thought it was garbage since it wasn't in the fridge shock Like I said, fully frosted, with writing and sitting in a cake dome! How she could have thought that is beyond me. Seems I'm now on the lookout for a new person. Oh well, as a previous poster said, a few years from now, it will be a funny family story...

what an idiot.

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 7:11 pm
skinny wrote:
garbage shmarbage she either took it home or ate the whole thing on spot

Yeah. And your husband stole that money. That's right. He's a thief. He belongs in jail.

No, I have no evidence. But I say it. And I want everyone to know it. Better yet, I'm going somewhere online that you're not on, and going to tell the world about it. I'm going to be nasty and mean about you. And you'll never have a chance to defend yourself.

So there.

You should be ashamed of yourself. You should all be ashamed of yourself. We're supposed to be all DLZ when a Jew pleads guilty to stealing tens of thousands of dollars. But when a cleaning woman sees food lying on a table, and thinks it must be trash, she's an object of ridicule.

You make me sick. All of you.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics