Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning lady threw out my cake
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 7:56 pm
I know this is nothing in the grand scheme of things and not worth getting upset over, but I worked hard on DS' birthday cake! I baked it from scratch last night and then this morning I iced and decorated it. It was, of course, exactly the kind he requested. I am also baffled as to why in the heck she thought to throw out a complete cake that clearly said "Happy Birthday [DS]!" sitting neatly on the dining table in a cake dome. I should not have had to explicitly tell her not to touch the cake, but I came home to find the cake gone and the dome washed and sitting in my dish rack. This lady has only been with us a few weeks, but some things are just common sense, and this obviously doesn't speak too much for her brains. But I feel so silly steaming about it. DH just bought a cake from the bakery on the way home, and everything was great, but I'm still feeling upset and frustrated that all my hard work went in the garbage...Anyway, thanks for letting me vent here.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:01 pm
what an amelia bedelia!

my husband who is the baker in the family was mortified when I read this to him. my 13 yo daughter said ' I would not want anyone that stupid to work for me!'

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:10 pm
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think I can take it
Because it took so long to make it

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:15 pm
Your cleaning lady isn't the brightest crayon in the box, to put it mildly. I would be REALLY upset about that. Are you sure it's in the garbage and not just relocated?

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:15 pm
I would be really upset too! Does she speak English?

Maybe she mistakenly knocked it on the floor and didn't have the skills to leave you a note apologizing and explaining?

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:35 pm
Maybe she tasted a sliver and ate the whole thing

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:47 pm
yep, she ate it.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:50 pm
Maybe she thought you left it for her, so she transferred it to a paper plate, washed out your pan, and took it home?

bananasplit

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:52 pm
I agree it probably looked really good and she couldnt resist the temptation so she ate it or packed it to go!

b from nj

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:54 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
Your cleaning lady isn't the brightest crayon in the box, to put it mildly. I would be REALLY upset about that. Are you sure it's in the garbage and not just relocated?

Yup, it relocated to her tummy LOL !

amother

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:03 pm
I found this post on imacleaninglady.com:

my boss made me this beautiful cake for my birthday. and it was delicious too! I don't know how she knew it was my birthday. I also don't know why she thinks my name is yanky (y'know, she's not the brightest crayon in the box). I wonder if she expected me to wash out the cake dome, I did it for her anyway.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:07 pm
Thats crazy and very dumb. Did you ask her where the cake went? Im sure it bothers you!

sequoia

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:10 pm
Maybe she put it on another plate and into the fridge?

anonymom

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:10 pm
Look down at the bottom of the page at how many things cleaning ladies have thrown out. It's a common occurence. But this one takes the cake!

Tova

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:11 pm
My thought was that it got knocked over/ruined and she cleaned it up and washed out the pan.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:26 pm
OP here- thanks for the laughs everyone LOL I never thought of that possibility that she ate it/took it home with her. But it is definitely gone. Not in the fridge or pantry- believe me, those were the first places I checked. Definitely gone whether by garbage or otherwise.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:29 pm
oh - please ask her where the cake is and tell us what she said! Also, I would NOT leave a lady like that alone in my home - you never know what she will rid rid of next!

Meglmom

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 10:24 pm
You are entitled to be really mad, its totally unfair..but I would definitely not trust her alone anymore.

Chanamiriam, thanks for the laughts! It reminded me from good old days when us to read these books!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 11:03 pm
This is weird. Maybe you don't want a war, but it seems to me you don't want her, either. How much malachim do we have to be? Not acceptable. Get another one. This one stole your time, effort and trust. Might be a genuine nut case, too. I am outraged and quite creeped out.

shiffycc

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 11:23 pm
imasinger wrote:
I would be really upset too! Does she speak English?

Maybe she mistakenly knocked it on the floor and didn't have the skills to leave you a note apologizing and explaining?

I am so totally impressed with this limmud zchus!

Op, I really feel for you. Sometimes I wonder if its really worth the agmas nefesh to have cleaning help. Sometimes I want to pull my hair out from frustration.

Just look at the bright side. A little boy can forget about the cake his mother slaved over. But this is a story you'll be laughing over with his children around the shabbos table! I agree that you should ask her what happened to it(maybe someone you know speaks her language?) First, she should know to pay more attention(or that you would notice if something was missing, as it were). Second, because it will be so much funnier a story if you can quote her!
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics