Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can weight loss surgery work for an emotional eater?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 3:35 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0N-g4cS6TE

Here's a very successful lapband patient that had to have it removed after 5 years (slipped):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMWBmnhbS5Y

Woman who had her lapband removed after one year (no quality of life, lots of rushing to the bathroom to throw up):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PGG55_pYSE

These problems are very prevalent among lapband patients. Ask any lapband patient if she throws up. In the best case she will say that she does but it's worth it because of the weight loss.

exhausted

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 6:35 am
This thread is perfect timing. I was just talking to my doctor about lapband surgery and she was very against it. I'm so desperate to do something, I tried so many things, including Xenical and instead of the common side effect of diarreah (sp?), I became constipated! CM and others, can you elaborate more on the sleeve surgery? I never heard of it.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 9:33 am
Exhausted, if you have youtube access I highly recommend doing a search on "vertical sleeve surgery" and you will find so many videos with explanations, people documenting their weight loss and food intake and challenges. I highly recommend having a look at Dr. Alvarez' channel because it's very informative. Here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/user/En.....deos. Obviously, he's promoting his clinic in Mexico but he really explains things well.
All the best.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 10:59 am
My dh did the sleeve 8 months ago he lost 70 lbs from the 160 lbs that he had to loose. He didn't loose almost anything in the last 3-4 months. He didn't change his way of eating. Yeah he can't eat so much at a time, so every 2 hours he eats a meal. If you don't work on your issues it wont go away. The danger and hard recovery from the sleeve is not worth for someone not ready to work on himself. The only plus is that this 70lbs is staying off and before it came back after every diet. But its only 30% of what he needs to loose.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 11:47 am
Amother, Since you're anonymous I can correct your spelling.
It's "lose" and not "loose" weight.

Wishing your husband continued success. And, yes. A person has to be willing to work on him/herself.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 12:05 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Amother, Since you're anonymous I can correct your spelling.
It's "lose" and not "loose" weight.

Wishing your husband continued success. And, yes. A person has to be willing to work on him/herself.

He needs to see a nutritionist about eating the right foods. There's so little room in the sleeve, you don't want to waste it on the wrong foods.

People think the sleeve is magic. It's not. You still have to make good food choices.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 4:02 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I did the sleeve three weeks ago. I second everything ChossidMom says. I'm still not feeling all back to myself and I did get dehydrated (because I "forget" to drink) so I have less energy, but there's no comparison to the lap band.

Eating to vomit to eat some more is disgusting, amother above. That does not happen with the sleeve as far as I know. I am a bit disappointed that I'll never be able to eat an entire calzone in one sitting, and I hate that I can't drink while I eat a meal (I do anyway if I get very thirsty) and of course I'm still learning the ropes...but as far as emotional eating, that doesn't happen anymore.

Now if someone could get me a multivitamin that doesn't taste like cardboard, they would be my new best friend... LOL

Can I as which doctor you used, I am looking for one in the Lakewood area?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 4:03 pm
I just went in for a consult today and I think they are going to recommend the gastric bypass over the sleeve. The doctor does both.

I would love some input.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 5:00 pm
How much weight do you need to lose?

Just make sure you are an "educated consumer" and be sure you understand what the reasoning is for the bypass and not the sleeve.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 5:45 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
How much weight do you need to lose?

Just make sure you are an "educated consumer" and be sure you understand what the reasoning is for the bypass and not the sleeve.

I need to lose a 100lb to be at the perfect weight.

I was told the bypass is better because of diabetes issues, which I am prone to.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 5:55 pm
I don't understand why the bypass is better for diabetics. Do you?
Just don't let the powers that be talk you into somethiing that may be better for them. There are plenty of diabetics who have been CURED by having the sleeve. Youtube is your friend. Search for "diabetes sleeve" or something like that. There is so much information online.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 10:38 pm
amother wrote:
Can I as which doctor you used, I am looking for one in the Lakewood area?

I did not use anyone in the Lakewood area, sorry. Good luck!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 2:12 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I did the sleeve three weeks ago. I second everything ChossidMom says. I'm still not feeling all back to myself and I did get dehydrated (because I "forget" to drink) so I have less energy, but there's no comparison to the lap band.

Eating to vomit to eat some more is disgusting, amother above. That does not happen with the sleeve as far as I know. I am a bit disappointed that I'll never be able to eat an entire calzone in one sitting, and I hate that I can't drink while I eat a meal (I do anyway if I get very thirsty) and of course I'm still learning the ropes...but as far as emotional eating, that doesn't happen anymore.

Now if someone could get me a multivitamin that doesn't taste like cardboard, they would be my new best friend... LOL
OP here. Why does it not happen anymore? How did the surgery change your psyche on the emotional side of food? I just dont get how that could happen, thats one of the reasons why I am hesitant about this surgery.

allrgymama

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 4:25 pm
I could be wrong, but it makes no sense that the Bypass is better for diabetes, as you get much more of an issue with Dumping Syndrome, I thought?

The Sleeve or Lap Band is better for diabetes, to the best of my knowledge.

I have a miserable quality of life with the Band and wish I would have done the Sleeve when I had the chance (I was mistakenly informed, based on one's person experience, that it was much worse than the Band and I've regretted correcting my Band ever since -- a whole two years now).

I will echo what others have said: you have to work on the issues you have. Surgery won't fix your bran. BUT it will get you to a far healthier and comfortable place while you're working on your brain. My husband is still an emotional eater, but he's not carrying around 100+ extra pounds anymore. He can get down on the floor to change a diaper, and carry in things from the car, and go up and down a flight of stairs -- I mean, he has an actual life now.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. Why does it not happen anymore? How did the surgery change your psyche on the emotional side of food? I just dont get how that could happen, thats one of the reasons why I am hesitant about this surgery.

It doesn't happen because she only had her surgery recently. In the first few months after surgery it is virtually impossible to eat emotionally because you have to re-learn how to eat and can eat very small amounts. After the first few months it becomes very important to make the right choices because you don't have that much room in your stomach so you want to make every meal count.

But, the emotions are still there and I, for one, found that there was alot of frustration for me right after the surgery because I was used to using food emotionally and I was no longer able to. I definitely developed a shorter fuse. This phase passes eventually. Today, I am almost a year and a half out and I can totally eat emotionally again, if I want to. Sometimes I do. But like I said before, my capacity is still less than it was before and I am in a better place all around so I'm much less likely to binge like before. The physical change does affect the psyche.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 10:17 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
It doesn't happen because she only had her surgery recently. In the first few months after surgery it is virtually impossible to eat emotionally because you have to re-learn how to eat and can eat very small amounts. After the first few months it becomes very important to make the right choices because you don't have that much room in your stomach so you want to make every meal count.

But, the emotions are still there and I, for one, found that there was alot of frustration for me right after the surgery because I was used to using food emotionally and I was no longer able to. I definitely developed a shorter fuse. This phase passes eventually. Today, I am almost a year and a half out and I can totally eat emotionally again, if I want to. Sometimes I do. But like I said before, my capacity is still less than it was before and I am in a better place all around so I'm much less likely to binge like before. The physical change does affect the psyche.

Interesting post, ChossidMom. I nibbled while I served my kids supper today and when I sat down to my own portion I was full already. I almost cried. Crying I had been looking forward to that food all day. Not because my stomach was hungry, but because my sister sent supper and I love that dish and here I was with a whole pan of it and no room in me to eat it. My head wanted more but my stomach said "Uh-uh."

If that's what you mean by a shorter fuse, it's more frustrating because I'm making so many mistakes. Who thinks that after 4 or 5 nibbles from your kids' plates you'll be done with supper?

To the posters thinking about the sleeve--and to those PMing me and hearing all about my aches and pains, I just want to mention that it seems to be getting better. I have many more good days than weak ones lately and B"H I am starting to see the benefits of the surgery, I think. Nutritionally speaking, I probably should have passed on that bite of irresistible peanut chew...but it was just that--a bite and no more. I only took that bite because my mind saw good food and I think my mind is still in the mode of "See food, gotta have it" but I know physically more than one bite won't be good for me, so I have just a bite for the taste. Surprisingly, it satisfied me.

Otherwise, I try to stick to proteins. Cashews and other nuts make great snacks--and I only need an ounce or two to get full. When was the last time I stopped at a handful of nuts and felt satisfied??

So it seems to be working. Sorry I'm blabbering--just trying to get my thoughts down so you can get the picture clearer.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 2:19 am
I think that it is great that you are putting your thoughts down here because it is giving people a real picture of what one particular person is going through right after surgery. I am giving the picture of what is going on after a year and a half. It think this does people a great service.

It also happens to me that my eyes and brain want more and my stomach says "no". Sometimes I listen to my eyes and then I pay - I feel nauseous or some other discomfort. The trick is to listen to our bodies and in the past we didn't do such a great job of it. Luckily, the sleeve talks pretty loudly. It lets you know when you are doing something you shouldn't. That's why it's good to really listen to it during the first months/year. Because later on in the game, the capacity to eat grows. I can definitely eat larger amounts now. Nothing near what I used to but more. I also have much more cravings. So, I feel like a "regular" person now, who has to watch what I eat or I'll gain weight. But my stomach is smaller than it was, so I don't NEED as much food and I fill up more easily. So, I can never go back to my old ways. Also, I am working on my brain. My health plan is offering a 10 session workshop for bariatric patients for a low fee and it will be run by a socail worker and a nutritionist. I signed up. I hope it will be worth something for me... I really do enjoy meeting up with other sleeve people and giving/receiving support.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 4:37 pm
I am also considering the sleeve surgery. I have a little baby though and was wondering how it works with nursing...?

ange

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 8:06 pm
Please don't be offended, I am truly confused.

If are having all these surgeries one still has to limit certain foods, and learns. New way of eating, why go through all the dangers and body changing effects of a surgery. Wy don't people just do the new way of eating and lose weight that way?

I am asking because a relative of mine recently had the lap band I think. She had to be on a liquid diet prior, and is limited after as well. So if she was able to exert the self control to do that, than why not just do it with the help of a dietician, coach, etc. and not have the surgery?

Another person I know had it too and she also has just a handful of foods she can eat now, so why not just eat the handful and skip the surgery if you're going to have to eat that way anyway?

And another relative did it too and 10 years later looks just the same..she never changed her eating habits so her weight loss was negligible.

I am sorry if anyone is offended...that is truly not my intent, its just something I never understood.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 2:01 am
ange wrote:
Please don't be offended, I am truly confused.

If are having all these surgeries one still has to limit certain foods, and learns. New way of eating, why go through all the dangers and body changing effects of a surgery. Wy don't people just do the new way of eating and lose weight that way?

I am asking because a relative of mine recently had the lap band I think. She had to be on a liquid diet prior, and is limited after as well. So if she was able to exert the self control to do that, than why not just do it with the help of a dietician, coach, etc. and not have the surgery?

Another person I know had it too and she also has just a handful of foods she can eat now, so why not just eat the handful and skip the surgery if you're going to have to eat that way anyway?

And another relative did it too and 10 years later looks just the same..she never changed her eating habits so her weight loss was negligible.

I am sorry if anyone is offended...that is truly not my intent, its just something I never understood.

You are basing your opinions on people with the LapBand. Have you ever spoken to anyone that did the sleeve?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise