Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Am so uncomfortable making myself public PLEASE READ!!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
Hope the novel has a proofreader.

Clearly these were auto-correct / typographical errors and....this is an online forum.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 3:34 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Wow! I can see the headline: Ultra-Orthodox Jewish lady writes terrific crime novel!

You might look at this as an opportunity to be a kiddush Hashem.

Maybe ask your Rav what he thinks. If he gets on board, this shouldn't present a shidduch or other social problem for you.

Thats great advice! And knowing my rav im sure he will get on board!
Thanks didnt think of that

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 3:45 pm
I don't know who Lemony Snicket is. I mean, I'm sure I could google who he is, but I probably wouldn't remember the name easily. So if I met him I would be unlikely to recognise him.

I think using a pen name is a good idea and will help preserve your identity. Maybe real fans will know who you are, but they might think it cool anyway.

momX4

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 7:14 pm
Please post the name of the book when its published. I would love to read it.

professor

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 9:16 pm
wow, this is hard... I did not read the whole thread, but the op has a very hard situation. on one hand, op is proud of a really good novel which can be a bestseller (!)
otoh, she doesnt want to become the next JK Rowling.
I wouldnt know what to do!
this is a big nisayon, I think.? I would say to ask a moreh halacha

gp2.0

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 11:11 pm
Op I'm curious, how long did it take you to write the book? And I would also love to know the title once it's published so I can read it!

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 6:08 am
Professor said it perfectly!
Although having a net worth of $1 billion would aid my tuition paying, chasuna making, borsalino and breindy kaminer buying lifestyle Wink
Thanks for putting the rav in perspective..a poster above (maybe it was gp.0 I dont remember) also mentioned a rav so thanks you two!
Im planning a chat with him Smile

gp2.0

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 8:36 am
Raisin wrote:
I don't know who Lemony Snicket is. I mean, I'm sure I could google who he is, but I probably wouldn't remember the name easily. So if I met him I would be unlikely to recognise him.

I think using a pen name is a good idea and will help preserve your identity. Maybe real fans will know who you are, but they might think it cool anyway.

Lemony snicket is the supposed biographer of the Baudelaire children in a series of unfortunate events. The author used it both as a pseudonym and a literary device as the character made a brief appearance in the series. He had a disguised author photo too. But of course people eventually found out who he was - they were curious.

J.D. Robb is the pseudonym of Nora Roberts, who wrote chiefly romance books and wanted to break into the crime novel genre.

JK Rowling as Robert Galbraith - again the deception didn't last very long.

smilingmom

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 9:15 am
I think you have to read your contract.
I have been published by a major (non-Jewish) publisher and I had no say in the marketing.
My publisher was free to market the book anyway they wanted. They basically owned the book and I had no rights, other then getting my percentage of sales.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 10:16 am
smilingmom wrote:
I think you have to read your contract.
I have been published by a major (non-Jewish) publisher and I had no say in the marketing.
My publisher was free to market the book anyway they wanted. They basically owned the book and I had no rights, other then getting my percentage of sales.

That would be cool with me. Just curious what kind of advance did you get?

smilingmom

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
That would be cool with me. Just curious what kind of advance did you get?

I wrote a non-fiction (legal) book.
I received a few thousand dollars as an advance after the first chapter was accepted and a percentage of gross sales. I had a choice to get a higher percentage of net profit, but then I would need an accountant to interpret the numbers.

I am in middle of a novel now, but I write best under the pressure and deadlines of a writing course or editor and I cannot find an appropriate course right now.

Boysrock!

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 10:37 am
Smiling mom, were you able to stay anonymous?

Could we know the title of you book?

smilingmom

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 10:42 am
Boysrock! wrote:
Smiling mom, were you able to stay anonymous?

Could we know the title of you book?

I would never want to remain anonymous.
I originally wanted it to be part of the 'Dummies' series. "The Dummies Guide to Child Support", something for the general public.
My publisher wanted to sell it to professionals and sold it as "The Paralegal Guide to Child Support" at $75 for a paperback.
This was twenty years ago.

perquacky

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 1:28 pm
You should never do anything you're not comfortable with, but if you decide to do book signings, TV appearances, etc., your publicist should coach you on what to do and what to say. I'm not a published author, but I do work in publishing, and I have heard how our publicity department has been able to take unpolished, geeky authors and turn them into diamonds.

(I'm not saying you're unpolished or geeky! I'm sure you're neither. But if you're not comfortable being in the limelight, a good publicist can teach you how to get there.)

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:23 pm
perquacky wrote:
You should never do anything you're not comfortable with, but if you decide to do book signings, TV appearances, etc., your publicist should coach you on what to do and what to say. I'm not a published author, but I do work in publishing, and I have heard how our publicity department has been able to take unpolished, geeky authors and turn them into diamonds.

(I'm not saying you're unpolished or geeky! I'm sure you're neither. But if you're not comfortable being in the limelight, a good publicist can teach you how to get there.)

Sorry if I wasnt clear. Its not that im not comfortable within myself to do signings and tv appearances I actually think that would be a lot of fun!
It just really doesnt sit well with me hashkafically.

perquacky

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:24 pm
Ah. Understood. Reading quickly to get through as many posts as possible on my lunch break. Guess I didn't read yours carefully enough.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:32 pm
Are you a member of any organizations like Sisters in Crime, etc.? There's an American writer, Rachelle Majer Krich, who wrote some mystery novels and might have some insights.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:42 pm
Never lose sight of your original objective.

You wrote it for fun.

Don't do anything that's not fun.

TO HECK with the other people's problems. You didn't write it to make them a living. OF COURSE they want what's good for them. Fine. That's their right. But you don't have to think that way. They aren't your cousins. How much they make off the book is not your problem.

The professionals have to work on YOUR terms. Why? Because you're the artist, that's why. You rule.

Stay right with your original intent.

Yes. Amazon self publishing might be an idea.

Unless I am missing something I don't see any particular Kiddush Hashem potential here. I share OP's uneasiness.

OP, if you allow your face out the door, it will be recognized on the street, and there goes your peace. No face.

Have fun. Start the next one.

Stay in control. Others are trying to pull you. Don't let them.

sequoia

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 3:04 pm
If Elena Ferrante can write under a pseudonym and never do any publicity, so can you!

That said, if YOU think that signings and interviews would be fun, I don't see what's so very wicked about it.

Some of the links and references may be of interest: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....rante

return2You

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 4:49 pm
I'm in awe!!!
I'd love to know the title of your book
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club