Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Am so uncomfortable making myself public PLEASE READ!!!
1  2  3  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 7:38 am
So I've written a novel. My agent id in love with, the publosher predicts a bestseller!!
They want me doing book signings, going on tv and doing a photoshoot for a nice photo at the back of my book with a small bio.
Im so uncomfortable with this but theyre trying to coerce me into it but im just a regulaf frum woman.
What if I have to do this and someone I know spots me? I thought I could just publish under a pseudonym and retain my anonymity!
Have any of you been in this sticky situation? Would love some advice really.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 9:26 am
I've seen many books without a picture, just a short bio. Why do they want all this publicity?
Signings are one thing, pictures and tv appearances are something else.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 9:59 am
If you don't feel comfortable with something don't do it.

Laiya

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 10:01 am
Publishers are supposed to promote your book, but whatever promotions the author can do, all the better. Publishers will invest much more publicity into a small percentage of the books they publish, than into the rest, because they think those few books will be "winners".

OP, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do--but you may sell fewer books that way. Good luck!

sourstix

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 10:14 am
personally I wouldnt put my face on the book and not go on tv. I guess thats me. why cant a book be good without all this publicity. dont do something you feel is wrong. I wouldnt publicize myself like this. again its my opinion and you should do what is good for you. publicizing like this brings so many different things you wouldnt have otherwise. so what if you sell a few books less, keeping yourself private to me is more important.

Boysrock!

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 10:20 am
Now I'm all curious - is this book being published through a secular publishing house? (I guess so - tv appearances and all....) What is the novel about if I can ask?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 10:35 am
Harry Potter was published with no picture, bio, or tv appearances...

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 10:57 am
Boysrock! wrote:
Now I'm all curious - is this book being published through a secular publishing house? (I guess so - tv appearances and all....) What is the novel about if I can ask?

Its a crime novel. Totally clean if thats what you're asking!

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 11:00 am
amother wrote:
So I've written a novel. My agent id in love with, the publosher predicts a bestseller!!
They want me doing book signings, going on tv and doing a photoshoot for a nice photo at the back of my book with a small bio.
Im so uncomfortable with this but theyre trying to coerce me into it but im just a regulaf frum woman.
What if I have to do this and someone I know spots me? I thought I could just publish under a pseudonym and retain my anonymity!
Have any of you been in this sticky situation? Would love some advice really.

Hope the novel has a proofreader.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 11:01 am
sourstix wrote:
personally I wouldnt put my face on the book and not go on tv. I guess thats me. why cant a book be good without all this publicity. dont do something you feel is wrong. I wouldnt publicize myself like this. again its my opinion and you should do what is good for you. publicizing like this brings so many different things you wouldnt have otherwise. so what if you sell a few books less, keeping yourself private to me is more important.

I totally agree. I think the publisher just wants to sell more I really dont care. Its just my creative outlet
Thanks for the support everyone

fbc

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 11:06 am
A frum publisher wouldn't make you do that. Why not go frum? Is the actual content, even tho clean, something that wouldn't sell in the frum world? If it's clean, why not?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 11:13 am
fbc wrote:
A frum publisher wouldn't make you do that. Why not go frum? Is the actual content, even tho clean, something that wouldn't sell in the frum world? If it's clean, why not?

The characters arent jewish. Theres no spiritual epiphany...no shidduch struggle...its not even based in israel lol!
I just dont see a jewish publisher going for it even though im sure many jewish ppl would read it.
Have you read the alex riders by anthony horowitz? Theyre clean but a jewish publisher wouldnt publish it

Laiya

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 12:18 pm
If it's just for your creative outlet, maybe look into selling through amazon's self-publishing / e-books. You charge less, but maintain control over the product and supposedly keep more of the profit (disclaimer: I haven't done this myself, but it sounds interesting!)

gp2.0

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
Hope the novel has a proofreader.

[I] hope the novel has a proofreader. [sic] (Don't be mean.)

OP, congratulations!!! While you don't have to do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable, promoting your book is good for sales which is why publishers encourage it. If your book really does become a bestseller, writing it under a pseudonym won't help you as eventually this information is made public (lemony snicket, J.D. Robb, etc.)

If there really is nothing questionable in your book, would it really make a difference if people knew? Do you live in a community where it would affect your kids' schools or your reputation negatively? If not, go for it - nothing wrong with a nice author photo, book signings are very parve, even a TV interview is not necessarily an issue, though that may depend on your personal hashkafas.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 1:09 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
[I] hope the novel has a proofreader. [sic] (Don't be mean.)

OP, congratulations!!! While you don't have to do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable, promoting your book is good for sales which is why publishers encourage it. If your book really does become a bestseller, writing it under a pseudonym won't help you as eventually this information is made public (lemony snicket, J.D. Robb, etc.)

If there really is nothing questionable in your book, would it really make a difference if people knew? Do you live in a community where it would affect your kids' schools or your reputation negatively? If not, go for it - nothing wrong with a nice author photo, book signings are very parve, even a TV interview is not necessarily an issue, though that may depend on your personal hashkafas.

First of all thanks for sticking up for me Smile
I think people might think its weird that I write especially for a non jewish audience even though many people might find it cool.
I dont want to take the risk- I have kids to marry off!

Boysrock!

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 1:10 pm
Op, how did you find an agent?

Thank you

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 2:08 pm
Boysrock! wrote:
Op, how did you find an agent?

Thank you

On curtisbrown.co.uk
They have a lot of excellent agents there who are real professionals and will advocate for you, get you a great advance etc
Good luck!

JMM-uc

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 2:20 pm
The trouble of the rich and famous. Sigh

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 2:51 pm
Wow! I can see the headline: Ultra-Orthodox Jewish lady writes terrific crime novel!

You might look at this as an opportunity to be a kiddush Hashem.

Maybe ask your Rav what he thinks. If he gets on board, this shouldn't present a shidduch or other social problem for you.

Laiya

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 2:56 pm
JMM-uc wrote:
The trouble of the rich and famous. Sigh

Loved this comment! Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club