Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How far can you trace back
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Belz for 7 generations, basically on all sides.

Wow! I'm assuming that's unusual. Anyone else? I've never met anyone who can say that about themselves even 3 generations.

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 2:26 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
I am a direct descendent of the GRAs brother on my mother’s side, the family tree goes way back several generations before him, and it states that there was a ktav yuchassin that went back to David Hamelech. I am 3/4 parts Litvak on my mother’s side, and 1/4 lapsed Gur chassid (my great grandfather).
On my father’s side it’s a mix of Eastern European Jews, from Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, and Ost Yuden German - but they weren’t really frum, so no clear derech - probably just plain frum before they became just plain Jewish.

Hello cousin, I am a direct descendent of the GRA. It is traced back through my fathers mother. My fathers fathers family are Litvaks traced back to Lithuanian/Russian towns. My mothers father is a Litvak as well traced back to Litvish towns in Russia/Lithuania. My grandmothers parents from my mothers side came from Satmar before the war. They did not keep the chassidish dress and customs when they came to America.

gr8Life

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 3:10 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
We are direct descendants of Baal Shem Tov and now are staunch yekkes
Go figure.

Just found out that I'm a descendant of Baal Shem Tov. Would love to learn more about your family tree, please pm if feel comfortable

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 3:23 pm
From my father's side we come from the Alter Rebbe / Baal Hatanyas brother. He comes from the Maharal all the way to Dovid Hamelech. However, there was a ksav yichus that said we came from the Baal hatanya but it was lost in the Holocaust. So now we just have the ksav yichus from his brother.

My mother's side from all her great-grandparents were kohanim.

My husband's family comes from the Maharsha.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 3:35 pm
I've got you all beat.

I was at Har Sinai! Very Happy

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 3:42 pm
chocolatecake wrote:
Hello cousin, I am a direct descendent of the GRA. It is traced back through my fathers mother. My fathers fathers family are Litvaks traced back to Lithuanian/Russian towns. My mothers father is a Litvak as well traced back to Litvish towns in Russia/Lithuania. My grandmothers parents from my mothers side came from Satmar before the war. They did not keep the chassidish dress and customs when they came to America.

My husband's family is from a small town outside of Satu Mare, that's since been incorporated into Satu Mare.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 3:47 pm
My husband traces his roots back to the expulsion from Spain.

I trace my roots back to peasants in Belarus and the Ukraine.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 3:49 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
My mother's father was a Kohen, and my father is a Levi. So I guess my family goes a ways back.

Cousin! Me too!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 3:58 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
My husband's family is from a small town outside of Satu Mare, that's since been incorporated into Satu Mare.

My father was born in Satu Mare.
He is a direct descendent of the Taz, ben achar ben.

My mother A"H was a descendent of the Shlah HaKadosh, and the Shlah apparently could trace his lineage to David Hamelech.
On my paternal grandfather's side, my great-great-great grandfather was a Chassidish Rebbe known as R' Hershele Lisker. He was the Rebbe of the more famous R' Shayala Kerestirer.
My maternal grandmother was descendent of a famous Rav in Czekoslovaki area known as the Mareh Yecheskal. He was the Rebbe of Dhez.

My grandmother A"H was very into all this stuff, so I heard alot of family stories from her as a child. I find history fascinating.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 3:59 pm
on my moms side relatives can trace back 6 generations
on my husbands side we recently discovered thru ancestry that he has relatives in england my mother in law was not happy about that

giselle

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:09 pm
Chayalle wrote:

My mother A"H was a descendent of the Shlah HaKadosh, and the Shlah apparently could trace his lineage to David Hamelech.
On my paternal grandfather's side, my great-great-great grandfather was a Chassidish Rebbe known as R' Hershele Lisker. He was the Rebbe of the more famous R' Shayala Kerestirer.
My maternal grandmother was descendent of a famous Rav in Czekoslovaki area known as the Mareh Yecheskal. He was the Rebbe of Dhez.

My grandmother A"H was very into all this stuff, so I heard alot of family stories from her as a child. I find history fascinating.

I am also a descendant of the Shela Smile I did not know that we are therefore descendants of Dovid Hamelech. I wonder if my father knows. He is the type to know but never mentioned it, so I doubt he does.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:31 pm
My Yekke grandfather always said that his family left Spain in 1492. They were very proud to not have even fake converted, but rather they left with their heads held high and made a new life for themselves. I believe that much of the yekke community in the region that he hailed from were originally from Spain at the time.
My cousin’s Mexican Catholic wife recently announced that she is from Jewish decent and did a ton of paperwork/research to show that her family were Marranos who fled Spain to the new world in 1492. She actually went so far as to go to Spain last year and file paperwork for Spain reparation citizenship for her family as persecuted Jews who fled.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:04 pm
On my mothers side we have a family tree that goes all the way back to before 1492. I think the first family on the tree is the one that fled Spain, from then on they lived in Morroco. They lived in Morroco till they left in the second half of the 20th century. My mother was a child but her grandparents and older siblings had left already before then and were living in Israel. Even before that time though many of the boys in the family had travelled to the UK to learn in yeshiva. My mothers generation, all siblings and cousins are sefardi aside from 1 sister whose husband is from Germany. My generation, which is knh very large I dont even know all my cousins, is probably mostly sefardi, but many married ashkenazi too.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:06 pm
Chayalle wrote:

That makes you Rebbish Smile

sabertooth

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:13 pm
My side traces back to rashi and my husband’s to the Baal Shem tov

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:15 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Is your father satmar?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:23 pm
My husband's mother's family can trace back to the Vilna Gaon
And his father's side can trace back to Trotsky Wink (that one always just makes us laugh)

In my family, I have a relative who has made a family tree going back quite a few generations, but religious observance and that sort of thing, is all over the place really.

Lady A

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 7:38 pm
I am a giyores. I still have family in Ireland ( where my family is from) and Facebook them. As far as we know, we have been there since Adam haRishon.

My husband’s family is Yekki and not sure with his mother’s side other than traditional, Yiddish speaking from Russia.

samantha87

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 7:51 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
My Yekke grandfather always said that his family left Spain in 1492. They were very proud to not have even fake converted, but rather they left with their heads held high and made a new life for themselves. I believe that much of the yekke community in the region that he hailed from were originally from Spain at the time.

Interesting. Which region? Alsace?

Quote:

My cousin’s Mexican Catholic wife recently announced that she is from Jewish decent and did a ton of paperwork/research to show that her family were Marranos who fled Spain to the new world in 1492. She actually went so far as to go to Spain last year and file paperwork for Spain reparation citizenship for her family as persecuted Jews who fled.

Does she consider herself Jewish, or does that leave her a catholic with an unusual background? Sounds like she already married Jewish.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 7:55 pm
How funny, my German grandfather also always said his family originated from Spain, that they left in 1492. Probably a lot of German Jews would say the same.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics