Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
S/O: leaving early on Friday
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:17 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I did not find your OP respectful at all.

I'm sorry about that. I just wanted to know what others in the situation do. I didn't expect people to get so insulted and upset. I'm sorry. Feel free to report the thread if you think it's disrespectful.

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:26 pm
Dh works in a corporate company. One of his conditions he accepted the job upon was working only half days Friday and no chol hamoed. He was very valuable to the company and they really wanted him. They agreed without issue.
I know that we are incredibly lucky though.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:28 pm
When I WORKED FOR A SHUL, I had to work past chatzos on Fridays. I guess I should have asked the Rav if this was permitted?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm sorry about that. I just wanted to know what others in the situation do. I didn't expect people to get so insulted and upset. I'm sorry. Feel free to report the thread if you think it's disrespectful.

I dont think your thread needs to be reported.

People are just saying that's its disrespectful to call something "assur" when it's not with the connotation that many people are doing something "assur" by not quitting their jobs.

Op, it's not "assur" to do most jobs on erev shobbos. Maybe not ideal, but not "assur".

And anyway, the time frame for ideally finishing work is not chatzos, but mincha with different opinions on what that means.

Perhaps edit your op to say "not ideal" or "a shaila" as others have suggested. Then instead of distracting people with inflammatory language you may get answers.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:32 pm
Chol hamoed- ok yes, it's a shaila.

Erev shabbos- never heard of this ever. I work until 3:30, even during the winter.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:33 pm
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
When I WORKED FOR A SHUL, I had to work past chatzos on Fridays. I guess I should have asked the Rav if this was permitted?

Yes actually, I'm not saying you weren't allowed to, but it's definitely something you should ask.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:37 pm
I learned that this is specifically for someone who is self-employed, and that someone who is an employee should work the normal hours, just making sure they are home with sufficient time for Shabbos.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:41 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Yes actually, I'm not saying you weren't allowed to, but it's definitely something you should ask.

The Rav hired me to work those hours on Friday. And he was our family Rav. I should have asked him if I'm allowed to take the job he was offering me? Scratching Head

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Halacha is that it's assur. If someone has to work on chol hamoed or after chatzos, they should ask a sheila. There are nuances within every Halacha.

I just googled, which of course is not a halachic psak at all, but just saying.... it seems that it is better not to work Friday afternoon so that you can get ready for shabbos, but not assur. At least according to one source.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:43 pm
I learned that this is specifically for someone who is self-employed, and that someone who is an employee should work the normal hours, just making sure they are home with sufficient time for Shabbos.

Interesting. Do you know if this applies on chol hamoed as well? Can a frum employee make is frum workers work on chol hamoed?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:44 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I just googled, which of course is not a halachic psak at all, but just saying.... it seems that it is better not to work Friday afternoon so that you can get ready for shabbos, but not assur. At least according to one source.

I learn halacha from shulchan arach and gemara.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:47 pm

Here’s another one:
Out of town, SCHOOLS often end after chatzos on Friday, and some even have full days once the clocks change and Shabbos is later….
Do I need to ask a shailah about teaching Parshas haShavua after chatzos?!?

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:47 pm
I work for a frum employer and work chol ha moed. My office doesn't just close. Our customers are all working. Its not realistic for a business to take off a week and expect that they don't go elsewhere. Maybe if your business is frum owned and you only interact with other frum jews it works but for the rest of us not really. I am lucky enough I get all yom tovim off and paid. Chol ha moed is not the hill I wish to die on.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:49 pm

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 12:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting. Do you know if this applies on chol hamoed as well? Can a frum employee make is frum workers work on chol hamoed?

I have no idea about chol hamoed. My husband and I never had to work chol hamoed when we worked for frum employers, so we never had to ask that shaila. We were told we can work if we can't take off. And we've never been employers.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 1:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I learn halacha from shulchan arach and gemara.

Here are some sources for you to read through then. Enjoy!

https://www.halachipedia.com/I.....-:3-4

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 1:06 pm
Different kinds of work have a different geder in halacha. So for example teaching isn't the same issue as business may be. And being an employee vs a business owner also makes a difference.
All the yelling and defensiveness is really unnecessary, you never heard this before? Great! Ask a Rav if this is something you need to be cognizant of and you might learn something new

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 1:11 pm
The Rav hired me to work those hours on Friday. And he was our family Rav. I should have asked him if I'm allowed to take the job he was offering me? Scratching Head

I don't understand what's so crazy "Rabbi, I'd just like to clarify regarding Friday afternoon, I'm assuming there's no issue of working after chatzos when it comes to these responsibilities, right?" Not a huge deal to ask.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 1:17 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I don't understand what's so crazy "Rabbi, I'd just like to clarify regarding Friday afternoon, I'm assuming there's no issue of working after chatzos when it comes to these responsibilities, right?" Not a huge deal to ask.

When your Rav tells you something, would you respond by saying "are you sure?" I'm sorry, but that is pure chutzpah to challenge your Rav about halacha, and yea, that is what you are suggesting, no matter how you word it.

amother
Daffodil

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 1:19 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

Really, you don’t see that as highly disrespectful! He just asked you to do the job and your saying but rabbi perhaps I know better… ridiculous. And yes I’ve worked for a shul past chatzos as well.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note