Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Trio, TTI, Touro, Sara Schenirer, WITS, EEC, New seminary
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 4:27 pm
Out of town yeshivish a lot of girls are very happy at wits.
I went over 10 years ago and it was an amazing environment, I'm very grateful that I had the opportunity to bridge from seminary to my graduate degree in a torahdik wholesome but down to earth environment.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 4:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
To work in an ABA office for example. I meant an ABA therapy office, not a secretary type of job.

Was just a career example, but not the particular career she decided on. We haven't worked with our career coach to decided what she wants to do yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need a BA to be an ABA assistant.

Except for a few unique specific fields (which you'd need a unique BA for) a BA by itself is pretty useless nowadays. You do need a BA for title 1, but they don't care at all where it's from. They just want the piece of paper.

SG18

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 4:29 pm
I loved Touro. Great college experience, I got a full year of credits from seminary through their Israel option, and a good education. Very happy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 4:35 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need a BA to be an ABA assistant.

Except for a few unique specific fields (which you'd need a unique BA for) a BA by itself is pretty useless nowadays. You do need a BA for title 1, but they don't care at all where it's from. They just want the piece of paper.

We aren't looking specifically into ABA, was just an example that we used Smile

We just wanna know which frum college programs offer accredited degrees that my daughter can get great jobs with. Considering that we are out-of-towners and she may need to work in a regular company than in a frum one.

We also wanna know which college programs has the best educators and helps their students individually when they need help. And how long the different college programs tend to take. Which one is the fastest and which one takes the longest?

Regardless of specific careers, we just wanna know the pros and cons of each program.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 5:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
We aren't looking specifically into ABA, was just an example that we used Smile

We just wanna know which frum college programs offer accredited degrees that my daughter can get great jobs with. Considering that we are out-of-towners and she may need to work in a regular company than in a frum one.

We also wanna know which college programs has the best educators and helps their students individually when they need help. And how long the different college programs tend to take. Which one is the fastest and which one takes the longest?

Regardless of specific careers, we just wanna know the pros and cons of each program.

There's no one size fits all answer without considering the career, and you're not locked in to any particular frum program at all degree levels.
The way these programs work is that they partner with different non Jewish colleges for each Master's degree. So you really need to compare the specific degree programs, rather than the overall frum company that's providing them.
And I don't think you need to worry so much about the BA having any impact on her temporary job. The only consideration is probably scheduling based on how flexible or lengthy the degree is.

dena613

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 6:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
It appears to be from my understanding that excelsior degrees aren't as accredited as other degrees. But I might be totally wrong.

Anyone have an excelsior degree that wanna let me know if their Bachelors degree was accepted by great jobs?

I'm that I'm totally clueless over here. I'm a newbie to the frum college world since I'm a Baal Teshuvah. But my daughter is regular BY type school graduate, and is Yeshivish

You mean [I]respected[/I].
Meaning, a frum degree might not get you into a prestigious Masters program. I believe that most, if not all, of these programs partner with another college and the degree comes from them.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:13 pm
I have a dual BA in ed and psych from Touro. It is the longest program- unless you cram maximum credits (15) per semester- in 3 semesters per year.
This is hard to do if she plans to work full time.

If your dd wishes to work in imaging- Methodist in Brooklyn has a great program- radiologist degree. They accepted yeshiva credits.
We found that the jewish programs guided the girls better than the other colleges.
Many colleges do not accept some credits from some schools.
If you are eligible- all schools accept fafsa and pell/ tap for undergrad. This is a huge help.
Also be advised that degrees do not transfer easily to other countries like Israel, and sometimes in other states.

There are thise ppl who a degree is really not important because they have a special feel for the field they choose to work in. And there are those who have an amazing degree but are not good at what they do. One should choose something that suits their character, aptitude and abilities.
So sit down, discuss and plan.
One more program that was not mentionedYIEP.
Hatzlacha rabbah

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:26 pm
amother Pink wrote:
I have a dual BA in ed and psych from Touro. It is the longest program- unless you cram maximum credits (15) per semester- in 3 semesters per year.
This is hard to do if she plans to work full time.
Our oldest received her masters in special ed from sara schenirer over 12 years ago. She worked full time and attended classes on Sunday and evening. She barely had time to breathe. Our youngest dd graduated from touro with a BA and went on to receive a masters in forensic psychology from Jon Jay in Manhattan, while working full time. Another dd attended kingsboro college, stopped with an AA, is now continuing oot towards a masters in education through the school she is working in.
If your dd wishes to work in imaging- Methodist in Brooklyn has a great program- our son graduated with a radiologist degree. They accepted yeshiva credits.
We found that the jewish programs guided the girls better than the other colleges.
Many colleges do not accept some credits from some schools.
If you are eligible- all schools accept fafsa and pell/ tap for undergrad. This is a huge help.
Also be advised that degrees do not transfer easily to other countries like Israel, and sometimes in other states.

There are thise ppl who a degree is really not important because they have a special feel for the field they choose to work in. And there are those who have an amazing degree but are not good at what they do. One should choose something that suits their character, aptitude and abilities.
So sit down, discuss and plan.
One more program that was not mentionedYIEP.
Hatzlacha rabbah

I agree with this post.
I also have a dual ed/ psych degree from Touro. It’s definitely the longest program especially if you’re coming in without seminary or other credits….
As someone that got degrees from both frum programs and secular colleges - I completely agree that frum programs are much better at advisement Smile

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:46 pm
First figure out what she would like to go for and then you can drill down which programs even offer those degrees and work from there.

Many times what’s more important than the college the person attended is the clinicals/experience they had during and after college.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:54 pm
As of now, she's considering going to Human Resources.

There isn't really a "human resources bachelors"
Usually, people who wanna do HR get a bachelors in either Business administration or Psychology.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 9:22 pm
amother OP wrote:

Usually, people who wanna do HR get a bachelors in either Business administration or Psychology.

Found this for you. Penn state. Human resources degree. Online.
https://www.worldcampus.psu.ed.....tions

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 9:24 pm
amother OP wrote:

Great, then you can narrow it down to the frum programs that have one of those bachelors.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 10:18 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Great, then you can narrow it down to the frum programs that have one of those bachelors.

ALL of the programs offer bachelors in Business Administration and in Psychology. Smile

We're just trying to figure out which one is the best/what the pros and cons of them are so we have make an informed decision.

Its a little hard for us to pick when EVERY single frum college offer those two bachelors...

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 10:28 pm
amother Maple wrote:
All of their different programs have pros and cons, so depending what she wants to come out with is how I would choose.

some questions to think about after deciding what Undergrad/Grad options seem to be the best fit.

How much is self study vs live classes vs prerecorded classes. Are there exams and tests from the college or do they take college level tests like cleps etc. Is she self motivated?

Some are easier to get financial aid from if that's a consideration/some give grants or scholarships.

Most of these programs are through other colleges, If she is going to work in a secular workplace, find out if the degree will say the frum college or the random college they work through.

A side note, I was told if you go to one frum program for undergrad, then it's very hard to gte into a different program for grad school. I did not find that to be the case. I switched back and forth between Touro, Sara shenirer, TTI, and Touro. They tell you they may not take you, because they want you to stay with them.

Touro undergrad seems to be the longest. most of my friends who went there seemed to finish their BA the latest.
Since TTI and Sara Schenirer accept Cleps and each others courses, you can do a lot of self work and finish pretty fast. I finished BA SS in 11 months (part time- I was working full time). No grad school's batted an eye at where my degree was from. I ended up moving to Israel so did Touro's online school for my masters, in 10 months.

It matters what you are getting a Masters in. Some take longer than others.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 12:41 am
Bump

J

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 6:54 am
OP, the New Seminary in Brooklyn is affiliated with Adelphi University, which is a prestigious school. If your daughter is going for Business Administration, it might make a difference what college she is getting a degree from. Same goes for nursing.

wiki

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:24 am
If she begins college and still doesn't know what her career path is, then Touro is a better option than many of these places because she'll have a bit more time to decide, and a bit more broad options of majors and career paths. If she wants to be a doctor or dentist or PA, Touro has enough courses in the hard sciences to take her on a path to these careers, too.

The quicker options make a lot of sense for someone who has a very concrete plan.

For example, Sara Schenirer can take a student very quickly to a Doctorate in Occupational Therapy. But you'd have to know that this is the career you want to pursue.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 2:28 pm
Anyone know if Sara Schenirer is somewhat selective about who they accept? They seem to only take people will 3.0 GPAs (according to their website)

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 2:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone know if Sara Schenirer is somewhat selective about who they accept? They seem to only take people will 3.0 GPAs (according to their website)

Why don't you call each program and ask them your list of questions? You'll get farther that way.

eezee

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 6:02 pm
I did Trio and got my BA in under a year. Was SUPER happy with it!
PM me if you have specific questions
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics