Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Are so many people really that rich? What am I doing wrong?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

giftedmom

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 1:54 pm
The people I see in stores debate every item endlessly and drive the sales ladies insane. I don’t think everyone buys everything you describe

amother
OP

The school raised tuition enormously. DH called the administration about it, they said that it doesn't look like people can't afford it! This is what those high standards are causing, a raise in tuition for everyone.

amother
Watermelon

amother Peony wrote:
Dont you understand that high standards create peer pressure? Especially when those become community norms?

I agree that the standards have gotten too high.
But people won't change from this thread.
This thread just hits me the wrong way.

If someone can afford designer they will buy it.
If someone beats the system to afford designer they will buy it, too.

Everyone does what is important to them.

Signed, someone who pays a fortune in taxes. And receives no government benefits.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 1:56 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
I agree and have been seeing this constantly. It drives me crazy. I believe they are all trying in different ways. But at the same time, I hear and feel your jealousy aching for more. We all want what we don’t have. It’s completely normal to feel this way. My family members always say why can’t we have this, why can’t we go here ect? Yes, it stings like he:: when we are jealous. And hurt more so when we see it being flaunted in our faces.

I'm not jealous! I don't want to spend on those things!
I'm just trying to understand the mentality.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 1:57 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
I agree that the standards have gotten too high.
But people won't change from this thread.
This thread just hits me the wrong way.

If someone can afford designer they will buy it.
If someone beats the system to afford designer they will buy it, too.

Everyone does what is important to them.

Signed, someone who pays a fortune in taxes. And receives no government benefits.

What happens is when so many people live on high standards, the schools think everyone is rich and raise tuition by alot.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 1:58 pm
You see what people spend, not what they can afford.
Or they’re window shopping.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 1:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not jealous! I don't want to spend on those things!
I'm just trying to understand the mentality.

For some reason, these self righteous posts usually there is a smidgen of jealousy deep deep down.
If you are really honest with yourself you will recognize it, too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:00 pm
For some reason, these self righteous posts usually there is a smidgen of jealousy deep deep down.
If you are really honest with yourself you will recognize it, too.

You deciding that I'm jealous, doesn't make me jealous. I don't care if you think I'm jealous, it doesn't change anything. I don't even want to spend those prices, even if I can afford it.
Questioning crazy standards, doesn't make one jealous.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
The school raised tuition enormously. DH called the administration about it, they said that it doesn't look like people can't afford it! This is what those high standards are causing, a raise in tuition for everyone.
Dh and I went down to the administrator's office to ask for a tuition break. He looked both of us up and down and then said OK. I was thankful but a little embarrassed Confused It helps to see them in person because then they can see you're not one of those spending money.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:02 pm
I agree.

For those asking "well how do you know"

When you see a family with multiple kids leave a store with tons of bags and you know the cheapest item there is at least x amount....

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:03 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
They say real rich people don't buy that stuff...I could afford that stuff if I wanted to but my kids wear beautiful hand me downs from my nieces and nephews that are 1 size bigger than them. I don't understand why people create this insanity for themselves. And then cry about prices of tuition and food.

I just saw this IRL. Someone I know always complains loudly that she is so broke. On Purim, she said she can't afford to give more than 2 very basic mishloach manos. She complains loudly about the cost of kosher food and tuition. She complains loudly that she needs help and asks people to pay for things for her. None of this is private. She also just posted online a purse she bought that costs close to 3k. She showed herself going into the store - it's not a dupe.

She should enjoy every second with this purse! I'm happy for her! I'm NOT happy when I see someone claiming they can't afford the basics and then spend 3k on a purse and make a show of it. If you are broke, I get it. If you are blessed with a windfall, I get it. If you are loud about it, I do not get it, and it makes people feel like they are doing something wrong, such as OP.

Everyone spends on what it important to them and I fully get that and support it. I do not support the ones who do it so loudly.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:04 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Dh and I went down to the administrator's office to ask for a tuition break. He looked both of us up and down and then said OK. I was thankful but a little embarrassed Confused It helps to see them in person because then they can see you're not one of those spending money.

They know us well. We didn't want to ask for a break, we wanted to hear an explanation as to why tuition went up this amount. The answer was that it doesn't look like people can't afford it. Because they know us welk, they told us that we can continue paying what we paid till know. We didn't even ask for a break.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
You deciding that I'm jealous, doesn't make me jealous. I don't care if you think I'm jealous, it doesn't change anything. I don't even want to spend those prices, even if I can afford it.
Questioning crazy standards, doesn't make one jealous.

The title of your post says it all.
'What am I doing wrong?'

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:05 pm
It's difficult for me to understand too
I grew up OOT but am raising family in tri-state area, & also scratch my head at certain communities kid's shoes prices, Michelle watches. The 18Forty podcast, by Rabbi Dovid Bashevkin, has some interesting episodes about finances & the orthodox world, there's a series on it you can find if you google or browse the list of previous episodes.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
They know us well. We didn't want to ask for a break, we wanted to hear an explanation as to why tuition went up this amount. The answer was that it doesn't look like people can't afford it. Because they know us welk, they told us that we can continue paying what we paid till know. We didn't even ask for a break.
Then what's the problem?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:07 pm
The title of your post says it all.
'What am I doing wrong?'

Says all what??
It seems that I'm doing something wrong that I'm not interested in spending those prices and aren't grabbing expensive clothes off the shelves.....

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:11 pm
Part of the issue is, in my community, that more and more stores stopped bringing in cheaper lines and only carry expensive brands. People that want cheaper brands are looked at as "nebs".

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:17 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
They say real rich people don't buy that stuff...I could afford that stuff if I wanted to but my kids wear beautiful hand me downs from my nieces and nephews that are 1 size bigger than them. I don't understand why people create this insanity for themselves. And then cry about prices of tuition and food.

There are also rich people that do buy those stuff

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:17 pm
Op you’re seeing high spending. That’s not reflective of how much money someone actually has or how rich they are.

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:19 pm
One of my best friends wears thousands of dollars of outfits every day. She also rented a house for years and years once she got married (eventually divorced but another story) she had the money to own a house. She had the money to do whatever she wanted and she spent it on clothing instead of saving it and buying a home. IyH I'm looking into an apartment in Israel and not a soul would be able to tell by looking at me.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics