Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What time does your shul finish?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:39 am
We daven vatikin, and we're makpid to finish in time for people to get home and make kiddush before chatzot. So starting around 5:15, and finishing somewhere between 11:30 - 12:00.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:43 am
amother Ginger wrote:
4:30/5:00

That’s horrendous. How do people eat lunch? Do people just stay and go straight to mincha?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:44 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
I think we win award for latest/longest davening. Around 6. Chassidish shul in Brooklyn.

I don’t understand. When do you eat lunch?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:50 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
That’s horrendous. How do people eat lunch? Do people just stay and go straight to mincha?

They daven mincha then come home for the meal and then go back to shul.
I wouldn't call it horrendous. It's what we do.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:55 am
amother Babypink wrote:
They daven mincha then come home for the meal and then go back to shul.
I wouldn't call it horrendous. It's what we do.

Do you literally eat lunch at 6pm?

Does the whole family fast all Day?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:57 am
Do you literally eat lunch at 6pm?

Does the whole family fast all Day?

No there’s a break men take something to eat then. And women if they want but when at home they eat no one starves

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:58 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:
No there’s a break men take something to eat then. And women if they want but when at home they eat no one starves

What does ‘a break’ mean? When do you eat lunch? (Also when is tashlich done?)

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:59 am
My shul, around 1-1.30. My Dh shul, around 3-3.30, could be later. This is why we have no guests and also why we don't go to the same shul. Just because he's willing to put up with craziness doesn't mean I have to. I make kiddish and eat by myself and he does his thing when he gets back, whenever that may be.

It's assur to fast on a YT, you can't eat before davening, I don't hold with eating in the middle of davening, and forcing people to fast past chatzos is matriach the tzibbur.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 2:09 am
What does ‘a break’ mean? When do you eat lunch? (Also when is tashlich done?)

You don't need to sound so upset. If we're ok with it, you can be too.
Theres a break for the men before shofar, usually between 30-45 minutes. That's when they make Kiddush and eat.
Woman can eat the whole day if they want to, no one is forced to starve.
We finish at 4-4:30, so we have our meal at 5.
There's an inyan not to sleep anyway so it's not like anyone needs to nap. They go back to shul whenever we finish our meal.
Clear now?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 2:12 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
My shul, around 1-1.30. My Dh shul, around 3-3.30, could be later. This is why we have no guests and also why we don't go to the same shul. Just because he's willing to put up with craziness doesn't mean I have to. I make kiddish and eat by myself and he does his thing when he gets back, whenever that may be.

It's assur to fast on a YT, you can't eat before davening, I don't hold with eating in the middle of davening, and forcing people to fast past chatzos is matriach the tzibbur.

You don't eat together with your husband or as a family? That's horrendous.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 2:51 am
We finish around 2-2:30.
Chabad

We do Shofar during musaf and another full set after davening.

But by the time we actually finish the meal, there's only about 1/2 an hour left to do Tashlich. Looking forward to the first day this year since no Shofar or tashlich.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:04 am
amother Babypink wrote:
You don't eat together with your husband or as a family? That's horrendous.

Nothing horrendous here.
It’s rosh hashuna, the Yom hadin. We are in shul all day davening. Some people will make kiddush between shachris and shofer, especially the women. But in my family the men don’t eat before mussaf, and everyone does fine bh.
Yes, we eat the seudah very late, and we all survive.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:09 am
Regarding tashlich, our minhag is not to go on R’H. We go in aseres yemei tshevuah.

tweety1

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:30 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
Nothing horrendous here.
It’s rosh hashuna, the Yom hadin. We are in shul all day davening. Some people will make kiddush between shachris and shofer, especially the women. But in my family the men don’t eat before mussaf, and everyone does fine bh.

Stop excusing yourself. It's something we understand because we grew up this way. I can see why someone has a hard time understanding this "way of life". Reality is that the only reason we're ok with it and don't mind it is because we don't understand a different way.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:49 am
tweety1 wrote:
Stop excusing yourself. It's something we understand because we grew up this way. I can see why someone has a hard time understanding this "way of life". Reality is that the only reason we're ok with it and don't mind it is because we don't understand a different way.

Sure I understand different ways, but I’m respectful to our way to my husband’s connection to his shul/rabbi. Because it’s ok to eat late and survive!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 5:26 am
Around 12:30

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 5:39 am
It’s Rosh Hashana!

If someone wants to stay in shul all day to daven for a good year, then good for them!

Not something I’d personally call horrendous. I wouldn’t do it either but I definitely respect it.

Let’s not forget how profound the day is. The meal can wait. No one is starving to death

Golde

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 5:50 am
Wow, I never knew this!
We finish around 1:30 and I always thought that was late...

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 6:07 am
The chassidishe shuls in Brooklyn that don’t finish until very late, are also starting late too.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 6:26 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
Nothing horrendous here.

Before you jump down my throat, I was responding to amother snapdragon who thinks it's hurrendous that our chassidish shuls finish at 5.
I was just protesting the use of the words hurrendous. It's no one's place to call anyone's minhagim hurrendous.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur