Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Why don’t chassidish women wear falls?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 12:37 pm
Raisin wrote:
Chabad generally doesnt wear falls for hashkafic reasons.

Can you explain the hashkafic reason behind it? I mean, the Lubavitcher Rebbe was very much in favor of wigs that cover all hair and a fall is a type of wig that can cover all hair. So, what's the difference? Genuinely curious, as I wear neither wigs nor falls in general.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 12:48 pm
There are chasidish people that go covered so it can’t really be worn with a fall.
But there are plenty of chasidish people that wear falls - The stereotype of chasidish doesn’t really exist anymore and people don’t really get that

kiti

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 12:58 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
Can you explain the hashkafic reason behind it? I mean, the Lubavitcher Rebbe was very much in favor of wigs that cover all hair and a fall is a type of wig that can cover all hair. So, what's the difference? Genuinely curious, as I wear neither wigs nor falls in general.

If I remember correctly, the Lubavitcher rebbe said that “whole sheitals give whole brachos and half sheitals give half brachos”

The Lubavitcher women I know are very makpid on wearing full sheitals

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 1:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Not everyone pulls out hair with a fall. If someone wears a fall and pulls out hair then they don’t need a hat, headband,etc.

If you don’t show hair then you can wear a fall without a single piece showing.

With a hat fall it's easy, with a headband it's really hard not to show any hair by the ears and temples. If you hold that hair on the face doesn't have to be covered than that's fine but if you don't then you have to wear the headband really far down your ears to cover everything.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 1:11 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
I think you mean casual, not cool.

No I meant cool... but casual is fine too.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 1:28 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
No I meant cool... but casual is fine too.

The style comes and goes. So it's not necessarily cool.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 10:33 pm
Its just too trendy, with it for most chasidish ppl. The ppl that wear a fall will also wear booties which most chasidish ppl wont. Hats in the winter is a boro park/ williamsburg thing, ive never seen it in lakewood. I dont think theres a halachik aspect behind it we just try to avoid looking very with it/ trendy/ cool/ cute... whichever word u like best!

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 10:58 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Its just too trendy, with it for most chasidish ppl. The ppl that wear a fall will also wear booties which most chasidish ppl wont. Hats in the winter is a boro park/ williamsburg thing, ive never seen it in lakewood. I dont think theres a halachik aspect behind it we just try to avoid looking very with it/ trendy/ cool/ cute... whichever word u like best!
chassidish don’t wear booties? Not true afaik

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 11:00 pm
amother Almond wrote:

A fall wig comes along with denim maxi skirts. Halachically problematic? No. Typical chasidish dress code? Also not.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 11:02 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:

I also think booties is pretty common. Maybe not by the real real chasidish.

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 12:05 am
I am litvish yeshivish, husband in kollel, but not chassidish or Chabbad. I dress trendy and stylish, I also don’t wear a fall.
I was told by my husbands Rav that when wearing a Shaitel, it should be easily identifiable as such. This is because men can know that I am a married woman and should therefore be extra stringent not to look at me.
Therefore, I don’t wear a lace wig and I won’t wear a fall. A fall doesn’t show the front of the wig and therefore you can’t automatically see if the hair is coming out of a wig cap or not.
Personally, I have had a very hard time with this. I love the look of a fall and a lot of my friends have them, so I am very tempted.
I won’t say I’ll never get one, I take it one day at a time. I remind myself of the amazing reward I will receive for my decision and that it will be a zechus that my children will be yorei hashem.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 12:24 am
And I am Chassidish and wear a fall and I'm the opposite of cool. I wear them for practicality as my work requires lots of physical movement and I don't want to ruin my expensive wigs. I don't wear lace up booties, I don't wear lace top wigs, or denim and my fall is the same length as my other wigs, a little below shoulder length. (I mostly do not wear my fall outside of work as I do consider it a more casual look).
The term Chassidish is a huge spectrum. My type of Chassidish the men sit and learn, women dress Aidel and refined, but we don't do beige tights or double covered. So maybe you meant a specific Chassidish demographic where something like black tights is considered cool.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 12:38 am
What makes these women chassidish?

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 9:47 am
amother Peony wrote:

Which women ?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 10:48 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:

I'd say 5/7 years ago no one was really wearing booties. Then the short rain boots came in, it was just lighter and more practical so everyone, including those with double coverings type of chasidish started wearing them.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 10:56 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I'd say 5/7 years ago no one was really wearing booties. Then the short rain boots came in, it was just lighter and more practical so everyone, including those with double coverings type of chasidish started wearing them.

No one was wearing maxi skirts then either. You can’t even tell where the bootie ends with a longer skirt. I think that’s another reason why booties are so accepted now.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 11:00 am
amother Peony wrote:

Their husband wears a shtreimel, they daven in chassidish shuls, they identify as chassidish. What do you think makes somebody chassidish anyhow?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 11:02 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
No one was wearing maxi skirts then either. You can’t even tell where the bootie ends with a longer skirt. I think that’s another reason why booties are so accepted now.

Could be. Your run of the mill chasidish woman wouldn't be in a maxi either.
A very long midi maybe.

A wedding or shabbos robe is something else. But then there are no bototies there...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 11:06 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Could be. Your run of the mill chasidish woman wouldn't be in a maxi either.
A very long midi maybe.

A wedding or shabbos robe is something else. But then there are no bototies there...

Of course we wear maxis.

Sheitel and hat wearer here. Not flashy or wannabe in any way. Just someone with very full legs that’s very excited about the style where one gets to hide one’s massive legs.

And I’m far from the only one in my very chassidish circles that wears maxis. I never realized it was even a thing

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 11:07 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
I am litvish yeshivish, husband in kollel, but not chassidish or Chabbad. I dress trendy and stylish, I also don’t wear a fall.
I was told by my husbands Rav that when wearing a Shaitel, it should be easily identifiable as such. This is because men can know that I am a married woman and should therefore be extra stringent not to look at me.
Therefore, I don’t wear a lace wig and I won’t wear a fall. A fall doesn’t show the front of the wig and therefore you can’t automatically see if the hair is coming out of a wig cap or not.
Personally, I have had a very hard time with this. I love the look of a fall and a lot of my friends have them, so I am very tempted.
I won’t say I’ll never get one, I take it one day at a time. I remind myself of the amazing reward I will receive for my decision and that it will be a zechus that my children will be yorei hashem.

Just curious, does the same rule apply to bangs since that hides the hairline as well?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels