Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Leave tag on if got bris gift from TJ Maxx?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:20 pm
If you're buying me a $25 paci clip, you're throwing $ in the garbage. Well, not really because you're supporting a local frum business.
But it definitely won't get used.
If you get me a stretchie from TJ Maxx, it's likely to be used and even if it's not good for the baby, I can exchange it for something else that is good for him or someone else.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:42 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
If you're buying me a $25 paci clip, you're throwing $ in the garbage. Well, not really because you're supporting a local frum business.
If you get me a stretchie from TJ Maxx, it's likely to be used and even if it's not good for the baby, I can exchange it for something else that is good for him or someone else.

So it helps to know your audience. I don’t get many gifts altogether but the one or two that come beautifully wrapped give me butterflies:)

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:49 pm
Is it because of the wrapping?
Learn to wrap yourself.
You can do just as good as a job
And get them something useful as well.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:54 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
So it helps to know your audience. I don’t get many gifts altogether but the one or two that come beautifully wrapped give me butterflies:)

You don't get gifts if there are these obscene expectations.

I wrap all gifts myself. So I buy the pretty wrapping and do my best. But honestly- the wrapping gets thrown out. What gives me butterflies is knowing someone took the time to think of me, want to share in my Simcha, and give me a gift.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:58 pm
I totally get this and I would cut off the tag. Unless your friend is extremely not snobby LOL
I bought my friend who had her third matching outfits for all 3 kids from shein and I told her to lmk if she wanted to return anything. Her kids never wear anything fancy. My other friend who had her 3rd girl got matching hairbands because that's all I could afford from a Jewish store and I knew I couldn't get away with Shein for her - her kids wouldn't be caught dead in that (this was before the war, I'm not talking about Palestine, I'm talking about cheapwise)

michimochi

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:58 pm
Side note, what's a stretchie?

Trademark

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:01 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:

If you need a pacifier clip and got one as a gift why wouldn't you use it? And how would you know the price anyways?

I'm not the type to buy this expensive items for myself but if I get one as a gift I would use it.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:02 pm
I see nothing wrong with gifting from tjs and I’m happy to get anything but I realized I feel better giving a 25$ paci clip from the local store (prettt bag and exchange slip included then a stretchie set from a discount store.

Wow.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:04 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Personally I would not mind a TJ Maxx gift. Or a regift. I do it and got them and loved those gifts. Sorry but what am I to do with a baby gift given after my son outgrew it? I would rather another baby enjoy it now before it goes out of style than to collect dust in my closet until one day maybe I have another baby boy... plus I am happy someone thought of me and gave me anything.

But for those from those circles where it is unheard off (I can't imagine) leave the tag but rip it in a way so they can't see the store name. So they know it is new.

That I would just give away, I wouldn’t give it as a baby gift. I would only regift something that was never used.

Trademark

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:05 pm
michimochi wrote:
Side note, what's a stretchie?

A onesie.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:06 pm
As per the answers on this thread you see it depends who you are and who you are gifting to.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:13 pm
Trademark wrote:
A onesie.

Stretchies are footed pajamas.

Onesies are undershirts with snaps by the crotch.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:24 pm
Trademark wrote:
If you need a pacifier clip and got one as a gift why wouldn't you use it? And how would you know the price anyways?

I'm not the type to buy this expensive items for myself but if I get one as a gift I would use it.

Because my babies don't take pacifiers. Smile

It's not that I won't use it because of the price, but I just don't find it useful for me at all, even in the cheaper version. And if I did, a plain one would be fine too.

Which is why outfits from tjmaxx makes more sense for me. Because even if the particular outfit doesn't work, there's something else I can exchange for.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:26 pm
Trademark wrote:
A onesie.

I call the ones with arms and feet strechies (some call them pajamas) and the ones with short sleeves and no leg I call onesies- what you put under their clothes.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:28 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
You don't get gifts if there are these obscene expectations.

I wrap all gifts myself. So I buy the pretty wrapping and do my best. But honestly- the wrapping gets thrown out. What gives me butterflies is knowing someone took the time to think of me, want to share in my Simcha, and give me a gift.

lol. What’s the obscene expectations? Why are you getting nasty and worked up?

I genuinely appreciate any gift (randomly the way life worked out I didn’t get many even though I always give- we moved twice right before I had a baby bh. )

My babies were long awaited gifts so that’s all I ever needed. Zero expectations. But when a friend got me a sweet paci clip in a gorgeous wrapped bag- I enjoyed it.

No one ever made me supper either (again being new and not particularly needy cuz we were a small family). A neighbor sent muffins and another 2 containers of chicken soup, I can still taste both:)

But yes, everyone appreciates different things and we all can only guess what the other person would want.

Trademark

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:29 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I call the ones with arms and feet strechies (some call them pajamas) and the ones with short sleeves and no leg I call onesies- what you put under their clothes.

That's my mistake. I just call them undershirts.

Last edited by Trademark on Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sewsew_mom

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:29 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:

It's not that I won't use it because of the price, but I just don't find it useful for me at all, even in the cheaper version. And if I did, a plain one would be fine too.

Which is why outfits from tjmaxx makes more sense for me. Because even if the particular outfit doesn't work, there's something else I can exchange for.

You can exchange a pacifier clip in the Jewish stores and you have $25 towards anything else you can use.
Seems the same to me. It's the gift receipt that the receiptient has value over.
I would be thankful with anything! I guess I don't get gifts much. And I think it's beautiful when anyone goes out of their way to think of another regardless what they get.

Trademark

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:31 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:

But the gift giver wouldn't know that you don't need it. It's a pretty typical gift.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:37 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
Nooo.
Only have gift receipt etc if it’s from a regular store I would be so turned off if someone gifted me from tj maxx, but it could be we run in different circles

If you have a baby, just tell everyone what you said here, or please put it on a sign outside your door. I promise I would not give you anything from tj maxx. Or anywhere else. And I would likely never talk to you again. But I would be happy that you were honest instead of being "so turned off" and thinking "we run in different circles."

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 8:38 pm
lol. What’s the obscene expectations? Why are you getting nasty and worked up?

I genuinely appreciate any gift (randomly the way life worked out I didn’t get many even though I always give- we moved twice right before I had a baby bh. )

My babies were long awaited gifts so that’s all I ever needed. Zero expectations. But when a friend got me a sweet paci clip in a gorgeous wrapped bag- I enjoyed it.

No one ever made me supper either (again being new and not particularly needy cuz we were a small family). A neighbor sent muffins and another 2 containers of chicken soup, I can still taste both:)

But yes, everyone appreciates different things and we all can only guess what the other person would want.

I will rephrase for her. You don’t get gifts if there is an expectation. Period. End of sentence.
-wrap it
-get from a certain store/stores
-spend a certain amount of money minimum
(This is in general, not directed at you or anyone else specifically)
(These are just some expectations that there may be, there are many more)
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics