Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! DD regularly makes #2 accidents
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:
oh we've been thru that too! didn't wanna make my post too long I know ppl dont like that. but for a few weeks there she was offered every kind of incentive. even told her she can choose anything she wants- she chose family should go to chuck e cheese. so we went in the car, and showed her we'll come back here when you make. nothing. bought her favorite toys and told her will only get when she makes JUST ONCE but she still didnt.

then we tried other extreme- told her she cannot come out of bathroom till she makes. was there for hour till DH said enough, she prob doesnt need to go now. took her out, within 3 min she had accident.... tried few times telling her will have to change herself. she is a very clean child overall, so when she was dirty and I insisted she has to clean herself she was horror stricken. cried forever but refused to change and I didnt wanna give in either. ended with DH doing for her... she then just didn't go for days cuz was scared I wont change her. but still did not go in the toilet!! and it just led to more constipation on top of it all Sad

Ya this really sounds like encopresis. They cannot control it no matter how much they ant to. And it's really not her fault. It's as scary and sad and traumatizing for them as it is for us. I used to be very strict about it but when I understood better I started being more understanding and changing him. As he matured he wants to change himself, but so young she needs you to do it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 11:39 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Yes very much so.

Also the the poster who's child was having pee accidents, also encopresis.

I don't have time now to post more, I will try tonight.

There is a great book called "bed wetting and accidents are not your fault" by Steven Hodges.

Also great video of you have YouTube, "the poo in you".

Have been dealing with this for 3 years I can talk about all the different meds and why miralax may not work. But I don't have time now I try to check back tonight to answer

would you be able to tell me in short what you learned from the book and video? I'm at my wits end, this sounds like something that can be helpful. also need more info on mirilax- how do I know if I'm getting somewhere and how long should I wait to see results? can wait for tonight when u have more time.. I really appreciate it

CPenzias

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:25 pm
I don't have any advice but I wanted to tell you that you sound incredible. You're trying so hard and really looking into everything. I hope it settles down soon đź«‚

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
would you be able to tell me in short what you learned from the book and video? I'm at my wits end, this sounds like something that can be helpful. also need more info on mirilax- how do I know if I'm getting somewhere and how long should I wait to see results? can wait for tonight when u have more time.. I really appreciate it

Ok, I'm back.

So I knew a lot about encopresis before I found the book and video but it would have helped me a lot in the beginning if I didn't know anything. They both talk about why accidents happen and how to help them stop.
They will be tremendously helpful, I strongly encourage watching them. This journey is very difficult, I have been at my wits end many many times.

So the thing with miralax-

The reason that accidents happen is because there is a block of stool in the colon which blocks the sensation and poop just slips out around it. So giving miralax when there is still that buildup only makes more poop accidents because it's even looser so it can slip out easier.

The key Is to be sure the colon is fully cleared out and only THEN start a regimen of something (many do miralax and exlax). Miralax is a softener. Generally on it's own it's not enough. Exlax is a stimulant which forces the colon to go. So together this can be a good combination, a softener and a stimulant. But again this is only once the colon is fully clear (we term thus in encopresis language- a cleanout).

This is the simplified version. I'm happy to answer any more questions. If Hashem gave me this very difficult journey, at least I hope I can use it to help others who are new to it.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:28 pm
You need to do a full clean out and then have her sit on the toilet on a set schedule every day.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:47 pm
Ok, I'm back.

So I knew a lot about encopresis before I found the book and video but it would have helped me a lot in the beginning if I didn't know anything. They both talk about why accidents happen and how to help them stop.
They will be tremendously helpful, I strongly encourage watching them. This journey is very difficult, I have been at my wits end many many times.

So the thing with miralax-

The reason that accidents happen is because there is a block of stool in the colon which blocks the sensation and poop just slips out around it. So giving miralax when there is still that buildup only makes more poop accidents because it's even looser so it can slip out easier.

The key Is to be sure the colon is fully cleared out and only THEN start a regimen of something (many do miralax and exlax). Miralax is a softener. Generally on it's own it's not enough. Exlax is a stimulant which forces the colon to go. So together this can be a good combination, a softener and a stimulant. But again this is only once the colon is fully clear (we term thus in encopresis language- a cleanout).

This is the simplified version. I'm happy to answer any more questions. If Hashem gave me this very difficult journey, at least I hope I can use it to help others who are new to it.

thanks this is so encouraging!! and validating!! I understand now why miralax didnt help, but dont understand- how do I clean out her colon? I guess I should watch the video to understand this better, can u post a link?
thanks loads for your time- you are literally saving me. !!!! Hug

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 8:51 pm
Have you tried giving her alternatives to the toilet? Like offering her a potty, diaper, or pull up just for when she needs to poop? Just in case there’s something that doesn’t feel good for her about pooping on the toilet.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:08 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Have you tried giving her alternatives to the toilet? Like offering her a potty, diaper, or pull up just for when she needs to poop? Just in case there’s something that doesn’t feel good for her about pooping on the toilet.

you can be sure I did!!
offered pull up, private bathroom (none of the other kids were allowed to use that one, only her, ), etc.
thanks tho for trying to help

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:10 pm
Just did a clean out with my child under the guidance of a GI. It’s a pretty rough day! Basically the child is given a lot of miralax and exlax throughout the day, and eats only a clear liquid diet. Makes everything extremely runny and come out…until there’s nothing left in the colon. Then after that the child is usually given miralax daily for a long time to give the sphincter muscle a chance to relax and heal from all the stress!

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:10 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....3U%3D

Btdt with a child from age 4-11

We did enema, for the clean out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

Good Luck

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:15 pm
You need a pediatric gastroenterologist to deal with the encopresis. I had this with a child of mine 20 years ago.
You need a special drink the type you take before you have a colonoscopy to clean out the child. May have to done more than once. And then regular MiraLAX, or benefiber. And may take a while.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks this is so encouraging!! and validating!! I understand now why miralax didnt help, but dont understand- how do I clean out her colon? I guess I should watch the video to understand this better, can u post a link?

So I didn’t get into the clean out specifics because it varies a lot.
You really need to go to a GI. We have done 8caps Mira lax and 4 exlax. Again, that’s the simple . But you really need to work with a doctor who specializes in it

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:26 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

For a child with encopresis this is actually detrimental. It’s really import to stay the course and let them know that there is no alternative and they have to work on this

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:27 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
You need a pediatric gastroenterologist to deal with the encopresis. I had this with a child of mine 20 years ago.
You need a special drink the type you take before you have a colonoscopy to clean out the child. May have to done more than once. And then regular MiraLAX, or benefiber. And may take a while.

Yes we’ve done many many many cleanouts.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:28 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SgBj7Mc_4sc&pp=ygUOdGhlIHBvbyBpbiB5b3U%3D

Btdt with a child from age 4-11

We did enema, for the clean out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

Good Luck

Usually though an enema alone is not enough to be fully cleaned out. It can aid in the clean out and also be used for maintenance

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:29 pm
amother OP wrote:

The video does not discuss a clean out really. That you need to Do with a doctor

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:07 pm
The video does not discuss a clean out really. That you need to Do with a doctor

will do! thanks all.

can anyone recommend a good pediatric GI? I live in Monsey but can travel

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:10 pm
For a child with encopresis this is actually detrimental. It’s really import to stay the course and let them know that there is no alternative and they have to work on this

Except that determining its encopresis was not done yet, unless I missed a post (which I might have), so bringing this up was sensible. Coprophobia can have the same symptoms, but the intestinal clean out will have no effect. Sometimes changing the atmosphere or giving options CAN help for coprophobia, and exposure therapy to help with the rest.

Regardless, OP already responded that she tried it, so moot point.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:18 pm
also, how can I prevent this from happening? to same DD again in the future or to my other children.. are there any known causes?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
also, how can I prevent this from happening? to same DD again in the future or to my other children.. are there any known causes?

Well I’m not sure what you mean by to same DD. It’s an ongoing thing, it doesn’t “happen again” it just is a multi year process until it’s better.

For other children- I wish I knew
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics