Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Loooong voice notes
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:12 pm
Honestly, I think voice notes are the worst. Send a text, do voice to text if you don’t want to type. I can’t listen to your voice note at work but I can read a text. I can’t listen to your voice notes while I am with my kids, family, or friends, or at a shuir or watching a movie with DH -or if he is even in the room as it both disturbs him and may be private. Send a written text!!!!

username11

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:12 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
That's exactly why I never ever voice note. I get stuck and start rambling.... I express myself much better when I write and it makes everyone's life much easier, no one needs to listen to me!

I commend you for being so self aware Applause

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:13 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
And I would much rather listen to voice note, so I think somebody that really doesn’t like it needs to share that. I have a friend that doesn’t, and honestly I don’t communicate with her too much because it’s too hard for me to voice type clearly, and then she says what I don’t understand what you’re saying even when I try my best because it takes me just to type it out with my fingers on my phone. And someone else told me her audio doesn’t work, so obviously she doesn’t want the voice notes because I don’t believe it but I don’t really communicate with that person she’s alwa usually help her because it’s just too hard for me to always type out my response

I like voice notes too, they’re very useful when they are short and sweet and considerate

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:15 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
That sounds so annoying!

I only send voice notes when I have a very young baby. My hands are full, I don’t have patience or time (to type) and organize my thoughts.

I don’t know what you mean by a young baby, but often I don’t have time to listen to someone ramble and especially if your thoughts are not organized. By the time I am done listening, I have no idea what to it point was or what you need me to do for you.

username11

happyone wrote:
Me too!!! I don't even listen to long voice notes. I do respond with I'm not in a place I can listen, kindly text.

Love this idea

Goldengoose

just skip them. you're not obligated to listen to the whole long thing.
you can respond, cant listen please text or will try to listen soon. either you will or you wont. but it's not offensive.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:16 pm
Omg yes.

It triggers something in me too, like deeply.
I feel like jumping out of my skin when I get long voice notes. I stopped listening and just say I can’t listen now, please type.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:19 pm
I send a few voice notes a year and mainly to my sons therapist vs talking on the phone. Its usually for a situation when I feel that I cant express what I want to say via writing it out. I actually would rather voice note then a phone call that can get socially awkward and rambley. If I have to choose voice note or phone call Ill take Voice Note. Ill always take text/email as my first choice.

Maybe its my own personality but I have had some phone calls with rebbeim, my sons chavrusa where I felt a little socially awkward. They either don't text or don't WhatsApp so I daven before I call I wont sound like a weirdo. But a VN lets you cut the fluff and delete if you sound bad.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:21 pm
Goldengoose wrote:
just skip them. you're not obligated to listen to the whole long thing.
you can respond, cant listen please text or will try to listen soon. either you will or you wont. but it's not offensive.

This is a person older than me, they usually need something simple, so I can’t skip them and I don’t knew where the important bit is lol thanks everyone for validating me, I give myself a Bracha it should be my biggest problem

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:22 pm
amother Pink wrote:
Omg yes.

It triggers something in me too, like deeply.
I feel like jumping out of my skin when I get long voice notes. I stopped listening and just say I can’t listen now, please type.

Yess, jumping out of skin feeling . Like literally can’t stand it

Cheiny

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
This person is family but has a habit of dominating a conversation talking a lot and not letting me get a word in edge wise so it annoys me even more. It’s usually to ask one question but will ramble on and on about everything going on in their life before getting to the question.

Guess that’s her way of being able to dominate without you being able to get a word in, literally. I agree with the idea then to write back, “Sorry, I’m so busy I don’t have time now to listen to this… is it anything important you need?” If she sees you respond that way a few times, she’ll hopefully get the hint that you won’t listen to loooong messages,

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Venting here because I can’t vent to the actual person. Please stop sending 4 to 5 minute voice notes!!!!!!! Do you really think I have time to listen to you ramble until you finally get to your point. If I’m recording a voice note and it goes beyond one minute I delete it immediately. It’s so annoying it triggers something deep in me lol please tell me I’m not crazy

Aaaannndddd theeeeeyyyy taaaaallllllkk soooooo slooowww,
Even on X2.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:45 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
Aaaannndddd theeeeeyyyy taaaaallllllkk soooooo slooowww,
Even on X2.

Lol, I keep pressing the speed button hoping it’ll go faster and then it resets back to normal speed

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:00 pm
Feel free to skip them. But tell the person now that you are not going to be listening to any VN that's longer than x amount of time so they don't waste their own time recording it.

I have no issue with long VNs although the only time I send or receive them is from my two best friends.

My sister sends me VNs all the time and when I send back, she tells me she has no patience to listen to it so she wont - so now I let her know I only listen to hers if I feel like it.

spikta

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 3:07 pm
My friend's whatsapp status is "I don't listen to voice notes, don't bother sending"
She's my hero LOL

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 3:19 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
Honestly, I think voice notes are the worst. Send a text, do voice to text if you don’t want to type. I can’t listen to your voice note at work but I can read a text. I can’t listen to your voice notes while I am with my kids, family, or friends, or at a shuir or watching a movie with DH -or if he is even in the room as it both disturbs him and may be private. Send a written text!!!!

This times 1000000. Seriously. Every word!

I hate voice notes so so much. I wish WhatsApp had a way to disable them. Seriously, if you don’t want to type, do voice to text. The exception would be if it’s something where most of the message is going to be random Yiddish or Hebrew words, and the phone won’t get it, then maybe I could understand doing a voice note instead, but otherwise? Don’t send me a five-minute voicenote of yourself rambling and saying “um” 47 times and only get to the three words of whatever you actually needed to tell me at the very end.

Plus, I am a visual person. Having to listen to a voicenote makes it much harder for me to retain the information, and then I have to go back and listen to the darn thing again, and possibly a third or fourth time, while I write down whatever it is that’s actually important from the message. So it’s not “just” a five minute voice note - it’s 15-20 minutes of my time and a heck of a lot of frustration. If it’s important enough to you to say, keep it under 10 seconds and don’t get offended if the person receiving it doesn’t have time to listen to it.

I know some voicemail systems have an option where it will transcribe the message, I wish there were something similar in WhatsApp.

Stars

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 3:21 pm
I’ve had people leave me 15-20 minute voice notes which I think is just insane.

“I can’t listen right now, I’m sorry.”

And they reply with whatever they wanted, or they reply with it’s not an emergency, and I listen when I’m washing the dishes or folding laundry.

I’m not a hatzalah member and if someone really has something important to tell me they will call me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 3:40 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Guess that’s her way of being able to dominate without you being able to get a word in, literally. I agree with the idea then to write back, “Sorry, I’m so busy I don’t have time now to listen to this… is it anything important you need?” If she sees you respond that way a few times, she’ll hopefully get the hint that you won’t listen to loooong messages,

Going to do this next time

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 3:42 pm
Stars wrote:
I’ve had people leave me 15-20 minute voice notes which I think is just insane.

“I can’t listen right now, I’m sorry.”

And they reply with whatever they wanted, or they reply with it’s not an emergency, and I listen when I’m washing the dishes or folding laundry.

I’m not a hatzalah member and if someone really has something important to tell me they will call me.

15 - 20 minutes?! That’s a whole lecture

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 3:48 pm
https://www.thehindubusinessli...../amp/

What's up has heard the concern and apparently in a beta version of iOS to transcribe voice notes
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette