Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Another s/o about middle class affording Pesach
Previous  1  2

amother
Lightblue

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 9:29 pm
There is a discount shopping thing that I've gone to in the past. Anyone can go, but this year seemed so much more full than usual.

I'm sad that the amount of need is clearly going up.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 9:55 pm
Yes, it was Baltimore.
And I agree that the sale for mechanchim used to be extremely disorganized. I have a relative who went and she said the same as someone above. When the doors opened, people ran in and grabbed things off the shelves. It seems like they created a better system over the years and it works out much better.

I hope that this secondhand store does the same.

The relative of mine who is a kodesh teacher in one of the girls schools has a husband in an extremely high paying job. I'm not there to judge them but I know for a fact that their income is more than double ours. Hence some of the resentment.

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 10:13 pm
We ordered beautiful Yom Tov dresses on Shein for $8 to 15 a dress. (Not sure if Shein Israel has different dresses than Shein USA. Ill put the link so American mothers can tell me if it'd the same or different.

It's good quality, the girls love it. They have outfits that are their style and unique as it's not from local stores or Yom tov gemach where everyone shops. They have all measurements so it's easy to know of ot will fit her body type.

https://m.shein.com/il/pdsearc.....46213

amother
Peru

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 10:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, it was Baltimore.
And I agree that the sale for mechanchim used to be extremely disorganized. I have a relative who went and she said the same as someone above. When the doors opened, people ran in and grabbed things off the shelves. It seems like they created a better system over the years and it works out much better.

I hope that this secondhand store does the same.

The relative of mine who is a kodesh teacher in one of the girls schools has a husband in an extremely high paying job. I'm not there to judge them but I know for a fact that their income is more than double ours. Hence some of the resentment.

Double the income does not meant that they are struggling less than you. We give tzedaka all the time to somebody who earns a lot more than we do. They just can't seem to manage their finances well and we're naturally gifted in that area. They suffer so much.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 11:01 pm
The chinuch/kollel sales raised the standards so now the middle class (who were previously content with Zara , hm, next..) became more needy... The whole rat race is pathetic and I hate going to these 'chaptzeims' and being treated like cattle.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 11:51 pm
The chinuch sales/ discounts are often a perk for teachers and mechanchim who draw a pitiful salary. So pitiful that many teachers I know here in Lakewood have transferred to office jobs despite their love for teaching because they make close to double starting salary. The more perks we can give to keep qualified teachers from leaving the field the better.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:14 am
Give if a few years and they'll run back to having vacations same time as their kids and summers off

Signed,
A former office worked\mom who couldn't hold down the job with kids

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:02 am
amother Ivory wrote:
The chinuch sales/ discounts are often a perk for teachers and mechanchim who draw a pitiful salary. So pitiful that many teachers I know here in Lakewood have transferred to office jobs despite their love for teaching because they make close to double starting salary. The more perks we can give to keep qualified teachers from leaving the field the better.

This isn't so true... the perks, cash bonuses, tips etc make it so that teaching is way more lucrative than my profession. But where I live I can't teach. They are picky but at the same time desperate. I trained in mental health and it doesn't translate to teaching (at least according to schools...).
I have a Masters and make so little, no benefits, no perks. I am a licensed therapist working in a clinic. And keep hearing on here how we need more qualified therapists with advanced trainings accepting insurance/ low fee... I have those skills. Been licensed for years. And get paid pennies at the clinic. When I told someone my hourly fee they were shocked. Medicaid and insurance pay so little I make less than teachers!! Plus Work longer hours, have work to do at home (paperwork, session notes... Medicaid and insurance require a lot!!)

But can't make it so going private and charging my worth is my only way to stay above water.
Maybe if the community supported those providing all community services at significantly reduced rates- I will be able to stay in the clinic. But without the "chinuch benefits" I dont have a choice.

miracle

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 3:00 am
Check out Suzy Kahati's session on "How to save money on food this Pesach" she gave such great tips
You can find the replay for free www.powerupforpesach.org

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 6:38 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
This isn't so true... the perks, cash bonuses, tips etc make it so that teaching is way more lucrative than my profession. But where I live I can't teach. They are picky but at the same time desperate. I trained in mental health and it doesn't translate to teaching (at least according to schools...).
I have a Masters and make so little, no benefits, no perks. I am a licensed therapist working in a clinic. And keep hearing on here how we need more qualified therapists with advanced trainings accepting insurance/ low fee... I have those skills. Been licensed for years. And get paid pennies at the clinic. When I told someone my hourly fee they were shocked. Medicaid and insurance pay so little I make less than teachers!! Plus Work longer hours, have work to do at home (paperwork, session notes... Medicaid and insurance require a lot!!)

But can't make it so going private and charging my worth is my only way to stay above water.
Maybe if the community supported those providing all community services at significantly reduced rates- I will be able to stay in the clinic. But without the "chinuch benefits" I dont have a choice.

I’m sorry you aren’t making a living wage. I have friends who are therapists. Most started out in clinics and planned to transition to private practice as soon as they could. Working in a clinic does not bring in enough per hour to support a family. Private pay brings in anywhere from 3 to 7 times the salary of my niece who is an experienced full time teacher.

I would suggest you transition to private and allow other newly starting out therapists to provide clinic based services.

Our schools need teachers with years of experience and competence. We need the best of the best to teach and inspire our children.

Years of abysmal compensation and in many cases the loss of dignity of having to beg for pay that was owed led many experienced teachers to migrate to other fields, or even the secular education system. Would be entrants to the field were reluctant to enter the teaching profession, and those who did often took courses in other fields in the side, and were out of the teaching field in a couple of years.

To this day there is a stigma of teaching when it comes to Shidduchim. It is seen as a profession that can’t support a family.

All of this has resulted in many schools struggling to fill teaching slots with experienced qualified teachers, and retaining the fresh out of seminary teachers for more than a couple of years so that they become experienced and qualified. Our children’s education is at stake.

The small perks that teachers are being provided with by these organizations aren’t nearly enough to solve the issue. But they are a boost to morale and a small boost to the teachers take home income. Something is better than nothing. To claim that everyone who is low income should be entitled to the teachers perks is to misunderstand the purpose of those perks and what they were meant to address.

As worthy of help as you are, you are no more entitled to them than to use the copy machine in the teachers room. May Hashem send you proper parnassa soon.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 7:12 am
Baltimore: How does someone get to go to the mechanchom sale? Is it only teachers or kollel too?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics