Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Ice cream made with Mother's milk
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 1:50 pm
Excuse me while I go puke.

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 1:51 pm
oh btw - once when nursing my baby another kid wanted to taste the milky - said it tasted like ice cream ... Nervous

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 2:03 pm
PETA just makes these outrageous statements for attention to their cause. It's just for shock value. Believe me, there isn't going to be ice cream made with human milk in the freezer section of your local grocery any time soon.

Last edited by MiracleMama on Fri, Sep 26 2008, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

leomom

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 2:10 pm
from the article:

Quote:
Ashley Byrne, a campaign coordinator for PETA, acknowledged the implausibility of substituting breast milk for cow's milk, but said it's no stranger than humans consuming the milk of another species.

"We're aware this idea is somewhat absurd, and that putting it into practice is a stretch. At the time same, it's pretty absurd for us to be drinking the milk of cows," she said.

All they're trying to show is that if we're disgusted by the thought of eating ice cream made from human milk (which is intended for human babies), we should be really disgusted by the thought of eating cow's milk.

Also, that just as people would not like to be "milked" all day by machines, neither do cows.

(And just to clarify, I do eat dairy but if I think about it, I do think it's gross. And a few days ago I watched cows being milked by hand on a farm, and I can't say I found the whole thing appetizing, even though the cows were being treated just fine...)

PIP

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 2:11 pm
Get your pumps out everyone!

fantabulous

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 2:14 pm
greenfire wrote:
I heard about it ... Puke Puke Puke

and what is PETA proposing ... we put women on a farm now ... MOO !!! shock

I was surprised you wer ethe first one to use these smilies in response to this article...

Mostly this one shock. Then after it sinks in, some of this one Puke

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 3:06 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
How do you know that the cow is healthy?

Cows don't have HIV.

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 3:07 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
So they could control this as well.

Even if a woman test HIV negative, she can technically still be infected and show seroconversion at a later date.

Pineapple

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 3:11 pm
That is just gross Puke

chaylizi

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 3:21 pm
I can't imagine life without ice cream and chocolate, but if the industry starts using breast milk in dairy products I will go cold turkey instantly. yuck! does not express my feelings well enough. I also cannot express enough contempt for an organization that will use holocaust photos in a campaign to stop animal slaughter. it might be cruel but animals are not humans.

square_peg

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 4:00 pm
PrettyInPink wrote:
Get your pumps out everyone!

I wonder what the going rate would be...

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 4:56 pm
1.I had to pump & Dump for 24 hours now dueto a cat scan and let me tell you, being attached to a pump every 2 hous for 24 hours is really painful. ouch.

2. Idont think breastmilk from a nonjew would be kosher, esp. since the food she consumes turns into breastmilk. And I dont know any frum women who would be willing to get paid to sit and pump all day. you get about 4 ounces from a pumping session. that isnt enough for a tablespoon of ice cream!!!

Crayon210

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 5:09 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
How do you know that the cow is healthy?

Cows don't have HIV.

So that means they don't have other diseases?

NativeMom

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 5:47 pm
MommyLuv wrote:
I think Peta went too far on this one. Come on. Cows don't suffer when they produce milk, it's what they're born to do.

Not only that but its really harmful if they don't get milked.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 6:01 pm
NativeMom wrote:
MommyLuv wrote:
I think Peta went too far on this one. Come on. Cows don't suffer when they produce milk, it's what they're born to do.

Not only that but its really harmful if they don't get milked.
Maybe in all-natural circumstances, where the cows that are milked are milked when they naturally reproduce and lactate. In dairy farms, the conditions are completely unnatural, and rather cruel. I love dairy, but it's the truth.

Anyway, since everyone is so grossed out by this, I do have some ideas where mother's milk might work but not pose a possible hazard.

What if it's custom made-to-order for each family? I ship out a gallon of my frozen milk, they make a custom-made quart of Rocky Road for my family? Then I'd truly be giving of myself to my family. So much more personal than baking a cake. Imagine being my guest for Shabbat: Enjoying that ice cream, Malka? Clarissa made it herself, and I mean she made it herself!

But some people aren't lactating. For those people, they partake of ice cream made from milk derived only from nuns who recently left the convent and married priests, who recently left the priesthood. Much less chance of something with that group, right? Also, they leave the church but have no means of support -- the nuns were probably working in parochial schools, the priests were doing the kind of local church stuff that doesn't qualify them for much else. So hooking the ex-sister, now mother, up to a milking machine might be a way to support the family? And we can enjoy the ice cream, so it's a win-win for all.

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 6:31 pm
woah clarissa ... Scratching Head

mama bear at least the milk would be cholov yisroel ...

of course then it would be segregated into private milking forums ...

chutzpah - ever heard of MAD COW disease - not exactly a flavour of ice cream ...

WeAreOne

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 1:24 pm
There would be one advantage to using breastmilk. The ice cream will be pareve. LOL

Zus

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 2:16 pm
I would eat it. why is it any yuckier than cows milk?

Raisin

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 4:27 pm
Clarissa wrote:
[

But some people aren't lactating. l.

Any women who gives birth can go on lactating basically forever.

Zus

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 4:33 pm
Raisin wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
[

But some people aren't lactating. l.

Any women who gives birth can go on lactating basically forever.

yep, like they do with cows.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics