Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Starbucks and Kashrut?
Previous  1  2

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 5:36 pm
chanagital wrote:
Their plain coffee is kosher everything that is to be added needs an appropriate hechture on the container. there are a few rabbis who have said to avoid all their flavorings because of contamination from non-kosher sources.

Which rabbis? The flavorings are added directly from bottles labeled with an OU, so this really surprises me.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:27 am
chanagital wrote:
Their plain coffee is kosher everything that is to be added needs an appropriate hechture on the container.

everyone should ask THEIR rav. There are many places where things can be kosher without hechsher... (bh).

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:33 am
shnitzel wrote:
I've heard the hot chocolate is not kosher.
There may also be an issue with drinking lattes b/c they are hot and made with equipment that is all washed together. Rabbi Chalop of YU gives the bottled drinks a hechsher, it is a "K" but considered good by everyone and I think he says lattes are fine so DH and I kind of go back and forth on that one. You can ask to see the syrups, we do it all the time. Be careful b/c some of the topping syrups are not kosher and are different than the pump ones. We asked to see the frappuccino mixes and couldn't find a hechsher on the box. I would ask your LOR since e/o does differently

Please everyone ask their own Rav about the K and not listen to a poster, just because she says...

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 11:19 am
um - silk has an ou-d on it ... so you gals use it anyways for your coffee ?

shnitzel

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 11:30 am
This link is a better source than I am if you hold by the star-k Star k drink list it is listed under starbucks. Still ask your rav, especially about other starbucks stuff, everyone says differently

NativeMom

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 11:35 am
I've been noticing everyone has their own opinions regarding kashrut. I go there to study all the time, love it and love their coffee.

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 12:44 pm
Barbara wrote:
AFAIK, the plain coffee and espresso are fine. Every syrup I've check is OU, but I still check regularly, just in case. The mixed drinks are NOT OK, because they are blended in machines that are also used for non-kosher. As always, though, check with your rabbi.

It's not just the machine, but some of the bases they use don't have certification and "aren't recommended", but not "trief". Some rabbis will say that you can have certain blended drinks.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 1:43 pm
Ruchel wrote:
chanagital wrote:
Their plain coffee is kosher everything that is to be added needs an appropriate hechture on the container.

everyone should ask THEIR rav. There are many places where things can be kosher without hechsher... (bh).

in the US this is not generally the case. in Europe, I have yet to see a hechsher on anything that isn't a heimishe product.

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 1:55 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
shnitzel wrote:
I've heard the hot chocolate is not kosher.
There may also be an issue with drinking lattes b/c they are hot and made with equipment that is all washed together. Rabbi Chalop of YU gives the bottled drinks a hechsher, it is a "K" but considered good by everyone and I think he says lattes are fine so DH and I kind of go back and forth on that one. You can ask to see the syrups, we do it all the time. Be careful b/c some of the topping syrups are not kosher and are different than the pump ones. We asked to see the frappuccino mixes and couldn't find a hechsher on the box. I would ask your LOR since e/o does differently

Please everyone ask their own Rav about the K and not listen to a poster, just because she says...

She mentioned the name of the Rav Hamachshir. Easy enough to check out. (and yes, I second that it is considered reliable).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen