Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Is anyone else not crazy about sukkah hops for little ones?
Previous  1  2

april

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 9:58 pm
Its sad, when I was a child I remember loving Sukkay hops - we would got in to different Sukkahs and make brachos on different types of foods, admire different types of Sukkahs, and often hear a story or sing a song. Now, the kids are just interested in the candy which is often given out before they even reach the door of the sukkah and the parents are just interested in the alcohol which is given out. We participate but our kids are only allowed one treat total (they can pick which sukkah to get it in) and we try to encourage them to enjoy the varieties of Sukkahs people have. I think the problem is that most Sukkah hops are not let by a Rabbi.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 3:32 pm
I made the flippant remark, in a light-hearted way, earlier in this thread, about hops being like Jewish Trick-or-Treating, but I agree with chaylizi and maryasha.
We already have to deal with the red/green non jewish holiday coming up during Kislev, now this holiday, too, seems to be going the way of the non jews.
We try really hard to make the true spirit and meaning of each holiday relevant to our children, and it seems each year it has become more and more a competition of whose sukkah is more this, has more that, and then with all the candy...its just not truly meaningful like it used to be...do I just need to lighten up and relax in this regard?
Now, if we didn't have children we're trying to imprint, I'd BYOB and partying over at Greenie's Drunken Smile !!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics