Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Best secret for "melt in your mouth"meat?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 10:23 pm
Aizer K'negdo in progress wrote:
I USED A
CHICAGO STEAK cut (cooked in my dutch oven)
a roast (beef) cooked in my dutch oven and another one in a pressure cooker
chicken wings (in the oven)

so here I was in front of all those pieces of meat (at different time of course) and they were not the best Crying

I left the roast and the chicago steak on the hot plate for shabbos on a grill to be sure it would not over cook

I can assure you I followed the recipes suggested.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????

Did you taste the meats after they were done cooking? Were they alright then?
How long did they warm for on the grill over the hot plate?
I have a feeling that it's the rewarming process that is resulting in hard meat.

Aizer K'negdo in progress

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 11:39 pm
I tasted th meat once I cooked it already it was too cooked. It stayed the same after it was re-warmed.

I left the meat for about an hour on th grill over the hot plate.

As per the roast I tasted it again right after the cooking process and it was already overcooked,
As per the chicken thighs (iM sorry I wrote wings earlier) they were undercooked!!!

So what am I doing wrong?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 1:08 am
I tasted th meat once I cooked it already it was too cooked. It stayed the same after it was re-warmed.

I left the meat for about an hour on th grill over the hot plate.

As per the roast I tasted it again right after the cooking process and it was already overcooked,
As per the chicken thighs (iM sorry I wrote wings earlier) they were undercooked!!!

So what am I doing wrong?

Can you post the recipes so that maybe we can figure out what went wrong?
Just trying to help Tongue Out

Merrymom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 1:20 am
Get a minute roast or a delmonico/french roast. Look for lots of fat running through the meat as this will keep it soft and juicy.

Slice up two onions and layer your pan with it.
Place roast on top of onions
Add 1/3 cup of dry red wine (this breaks down the meat fibers and makes it soft).
Add 2 bay leaves, a whole head of peeled garlic cloves, 1 packet of onion soup mix, 1/3-1/2 cup apricot jelly, 1/4 cup ketchup, and 1/3 cup of water.

Cover pan very tightly with a double layer of foil and put in your hot 400 degree oven ( I believe that's farenheit, U.S. standard). Bake for 1 1/2 hours and do not look at it! After this time go and turn it over and reseal the pan and continue baking for another 2 hours.

Serve and enjoy!

P.S. Buy an oven thermometer to make sure your oven temperature is accurate.

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 1:46 am
I am SURE they are all delicious when they are done by you ladies but somehow I ruined them.
IT IS NOT YOUR RECIPES IT IS ME!!!!

I do not think posting the recipes I've done specifically will help anybody and most probably will hurt the "recipe giver" who shared so generously their recipe.
lets just say I only used th recipes posted on this thread, and I messed them up.

Maybe it is the quantity of meat I use, maybe the cooking time is different for the amount of meat I do ie I usually do 2-4 pieces of chicago steak or a roast for 6-8 people.
Maybe the browning process is wrong?
maybe my simmer is too high or too low?
Maybe it is the dutch oven? (kitchen aid)
Maybe the pressure cooker is too strong (lagostina)
Maybe it is my oven (yet it is new and apparently a good on KA'H' it'S a Kitchen aid)
Who knows?

ALL I KNOW IS THAT I NEED HELP PLEASE

P.S.
FYI the meat is fresh I not frozen, and usually fresh from the day. B'H'

Last edited by Aizer K'negdo in progress on Mon, Apr 19 2010, 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 1:49 am
Merrymom wrote:
Get a minute roast or a delmonico/french roast. Look for lots of fat running through the meat as this will keep it soft and juicy.

Add 1/3 cup of dry red wine (this breaks down the meat fibers and makes it soft).
Add 2 bay leaves, a whole head of peeled garlic cloves, 1 packet of onion soup mix, 1/3-1/2 cup apricot jelly, 1/4 cup ketchup, and 1/3 cup of water.

Cover pan very tightly with a double layer of foil and put in your hot 400 degree oven ( I believe that's farenheit, U.S. standard). Bake for 1 1/2 hours and do not look at it! After this time go and turn it over and reseal the pan and continue baking for another 2 hours.

Serve and enjoy!

Thank you for your recipe.

How big is the roast ie how many pounds?

Is it possible to change the apricot jam for something not sweet?
My family is not big on sweet things with main courses Smile

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 7:23 am
400 sounds very high to me. I cook mine covered on 300 for 4 hours.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 11:21 am
I also think 400F seems a bit too high.

Aizer k'negdo, are you sure you have enough liquid in the dutch oven? I tend to simmer over low heat and there's always enough liquid/gravy to cover meat. Browning can't get get things wrong--it's just to avoid meat shrinking too much. HOW LONG do you cook your meat?

You might want to try it for during the week and see if it comes out better. If so it's probably the way you keep it warm for shabbat. I didn't quite get what you mean by leaving on the grill on a hot plate. Grill is usually strong heat, I always have difficulty keeping lambchops or steaks from overcooking (but not getting too cold) for shabbat. Stew/braised meat dishes are more suitable for shabbat.

As for chicken wings, they don't need to be slowcooked in the oven. I'd marinate them in BBQ sauce or teriyaki sauce, and I usually bake them like 380F or 400F for 30min, then check to see if it's done, if necessary flip over and continue cooking the other side.

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 12:07 pm
Mrs Bissli,

What I meant by putting a grill over the hot plate is that a put a metal grill to elevate the meat pot for it NOT to be directly in contact with the blech/ hotplate for it not to over cook.

as pr the recipe I do EXACTLY what thy told me.
So you can see the recipes and judge by yourself what the recipes are all about.

For the testing it is difficult because besides shabbos, YT and Rosh Chodesh we do not eat meat.
So my experiences are on those days!

Maybe I can cook for shabbos a few days b4 this way I know what I got myself into !!! Wink

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 12:27 pm
Didn't read through the whole thread, so forgive me if I repeat a suggestion...

Beer tenderizes brisket very well. I pour about a half a bottle of beer for a 3 pound brisket. Season it with fresh onion and/or garlic and whatever other spices you like and bake on 325* F for about 3-4 hours turning it over occasionally.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 12:27 pm
Merrymom wrote:

Serve and enjoy!

Thank you for your recipe.

How big is the roast ie how many pounds?

Is it possible to change the apricot jam for something not sweet?
My family is not big on sweet things with main courses Smile

I can't remember now how much it weighed but it served about 8-10 people. The minute roast was really great because I expected it to shrink quite a bit but it hardly shrunk at all.

The bay leaf, wine, and onion soup mix really balanced the sweetness so it didn't taste sweet to me but use the lower amount if you're worried about it. This roast is so unbelievably delicious and I honestly don't see how you can mess it up. The fat really keeps it from drying out so long as you keep it really tightly covered.

Tech_mom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 1:06 pm
I did not read through the whole thread.

There is no substitute for good quality meat. You can make a cheaper cut taste good, but a good cut is a no-brainer. I am a cheapskate when it comes to most things, but I won't skimp on a good cut of meat. There is just no comparison. BTW: you will find that the cut is more expensive but it will have much less waste. That doesn't cancel out the higher cost, but is a consideration.

This is the order of highest quality from best on down:
Delmonico (sometimes called Brick or Brick French)
French
Minute
others...

If you have a Delmonico, do the following:
Buy a Reynolds Brown - n - bag. Put the roast in it - nothing else! Seal it. Bake it at 350 for 1/2 hour per pound.
When done - it is melt in your mouth. Let it cool. Slice the meat and reheat. Use the gravy from the roast when serving.

You will taste the meat not all the sauces that mask the taste. Think of a good steak - it doesn't need to be sitting in a pool of sauce in order to enjoy it. The meat tastes good on its own.

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 2:46 pm
Tech_mom wrote:

There is no substitute for good quality meat. You can make a cheaper cut taste good, but a good cut is a no-brainer. I am a cheapskate when it comes to most things, but I won't skimp on a good cut of meat. There is just no comparison. BTW: you will find that the cut is more expensive but it will have much less waste. That doesn't cancel out the higher cost, but is a consideration.

French
Minute
others...

Buy a Reynolds Brown - n - bag. Put the roast in it - nothing else! Seal it. Bake it at 350 for 1/2 hour per pound.
When done - it is melt in your mouth. Let it cool. Slice the meat and reheat. Use the gravy from the roast when serving.

You will taste the meat not all the sauces that mask the taste. Think of a good steak - it doesn't need to be sitting in a pool of sauce in order to enjoy it. The meat tastes good on its own.

I am so clue less!
I never knew there was delmonico's steak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delmonico_steak

so what do you consider as such bc there seems to be different cuts that are all called delmonico!.

I am hesitant to take such an expensive piece of meat if I'm going to ruin it C'V'S'

Tech_mom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 2:51 pm
I think you misunderstood. I wasn't referring to making Delmonico Steak. Most steak that I am familiar with is rib steak. I was merely making an analogy. Just like a good steak doesn't need too much done to it, a good cut of beef (roast) doesn't need so much done to it either.

Try Delmonico once. See if you like it. In my neighborhood it is 15.99/lb - yes very pricey. I would only buy it for yomtov and even so- I need to take a deep breath.

You can get French for 7.99-9.99/lb

Minute 6.99 when its on sale

Merrymom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 4:13 pm
Tech_mom wrote:

French
Minute
others...

I am so clue less!
I never knew there was delmonico's steak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delmonico_steak

so what do you consider as such bc there seems to be different cuts that are all called delmonico!.

I am hesitant to take such an expensive piece of meat if I'm going to ruin it C'V'S'

OP, are you trying to make a steak or a roast? They are not cooked at all the same. A steak is only cooked for a few minutes and the inside needs to still be somewhat pink to taste good at all.

I personally would never cook with plastic, all kinds of horrible chemicals will just end up in your food.

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 4:20 pm
For all newcomers to this thread,

Here is the issue

I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO COOK MEAT,
ANY CUTS
ALMOST ALL THE TIME
IT COMES OUT LIKE OVER BOILED PIECE OF ERRRRK!

I NEED "MEAT THERAPY" or something Rolling Eyes

I need help, any Help!

Last edited by Aizer K'negdo in progress on Mon, Apr 19 2010, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 4:24 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:

Beer tenderizes brisket very well. I pour about a half a bottle of beer for a 3 pound brisket. Season it with fresh onion and/or garlic and whatever other spices you like and bake on 325* F for about 3-4 hours turning it over occasionally.

Thank you for the advice so far the tomato, acidity like vinegar,.. did not help my "condition"

For how many ppl do you make 3lbs of briskets?
ie is it for 6-8ppll?

If we are less can I just half the recipe?
Do I have to change the cooking time ?

thanks

Merrymom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 4:27 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:

Thank you for the advice so far the tomato, acidity like vinegar,.. did not help my "condition"

For how many ppl do you make 3lbs of briskets?
ie is it for 6-8ppll?

If we are less can I just half the recipe?
Do I have to change the cooking time ?

thanks

Aizer, I think it's time to "borrow a Bubby" or someone that you know is a good cook. Watch them make it and you'll know how to do it yourself.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 4:37 pm
Why didnt you just buy a brisket?
I am still not sure what kind of meat you are buying. As others have mentioned, there is a big difference between cooking a steak and cooking a roast/brisket.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 7:27 pm
For all newcomers to this thread,

Here is the issue

I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO COOK MEAT,
ANY CUTS
ALMOST ALL THE TIME
IT COMES OUT LIKE OVER BOILED PIECE OF ERRRRK!

I NEED "MEAT THERAPY" or something Rolling Eyes

I need help, any Help!

Okay, first of all, as Mirabelle said, it depends what kind (cut) you are using. And her suggestion of just using a brisket is not a bad idea. Start with any kind of cut that needs longer cooking covered in a liquid. That is most foolproof. Try either a chuck eye roast, a top rib, a french roast, a dekel roast or a brisket (since brisket is most costly you might want to try one of the others first). Other roasts (like delmonico) that need dry roasting are a little harder to get right.

Use any of the recipes mentioned above that cook the meat covered with at least some liquid. If you want specific recipes, let me know.

Cook the meat with whatever other ingredients are used, covered tightly at 325 degrees. For a 3-4 lb. roast, cook for 2½-3 hours, for larger, add another 30-60 minutes depending how big. It's better to cook less than more because you can always cook it longer after slicing it.

After removing it from the oven, cool it, then refrigerate it overnight to be able to slice it easily. Then remove hardened fat and slice meat thinly. Return it to pan juices, cover and cook for at least 30 minutes more or until soft. As long as there is liquid and it is covered tightly, you can keep it in the oven even for a very long time and it will still be great (though it may fall apart as it gets very soft).

Let me know if you have any questions.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics