Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Cheapest meat for meal with 8 adults?

Mollydolly

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 3:57 pm
Hey guys,
any ideas for Cheapest meat for meal with 8 adults?

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:05 pm
I would say turkey.. at least that’s what I saw today when I was out shopping..

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:08 pm
The actual cost per person is going to depend on how the meat is prepared.

In general if you are serving meat "plain" then the cost per serving will be high because typically the portions are higher and the meat isn't stretched.

Less expensive recipes "stretch" the meat protein by combining it in delicious ways so that you need to serve less meat per person. Stews, dishes using chopped meat, stir Frys all stretch meat. Even a dish that appears to be "meat heavy" like a meatloaf is typically less expensive per serving because you use a binder which bulks it up - many recipes add some form of veggies - and chopped meat is less expensive than the kind of meat you would use for a roast.

ap

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:09 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
Where do they sell? Thanks

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:21 pm
Well.. chicken is the cheapest
Probably ground beef is next
Meat ends (often used for Chulent) is cheaper and you can make a stew out of it

yachnabobba

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:26 pm
I vote chopped meat . I remember a story in one of the magazines about almost pareve meatloaf… you get the idea
I actually made a pinwheel meatloaf with kishke on the inside
I have also done it with instant mashed potatoes.

ap

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:47 pm
yachnabobba wrote:
I vote chopped meat . I remember a story in one of the magazines about almost pareve meatloaf… you get the idea
I actually made a pinwheel meatloaf with kishke on the inside
I have also done it with instant mashed potatoes.

Please can you share your recipe for the pinwheels? Sounds delicious

Mollydolly

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:48 pm
Amarante wrote:
The actual cost per person is going to depend on how the meat is prepared.

In general if you are serving meat "plain" then the cost per serving will be high because typically the portions are higher and the meat isn't stretched.

Less expensive recipes "stretch" the meat protein by combining it in delicious ways so that you need to serve less meat per person. Stews, dishes using chopped meat, stir Frys all stretch meat. Even a dish that appears to be "meat heavy" like a meatloaf is typically less expensive per serving because you use a binder which bulks it up - many recipes add some form of veggies - and chopped meat is less expensive than the kind of meat you would use for a roast.

correct. was thinking some type of roast?

yachnabobba

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:56 pm
ap wrote:
Please can you share your recipe for the pinwheels? Sounds delicious

You need: a cookie sheet and a piece of parchment paper the same size
Make your basic meatball mixture, then add a generous squirt of ketchup. Flatten it on the cookie sheet and put in the fridge to set. When your meat is set put your filling over it; either instant mashed potatoes or defrosted frozen kishke (or make your own) then using the parchment paper and carefully roll it up . Bake
If you want to get fancy - put a pan of water underneath with herbs so there is a gentle herb flavor (I’m not so fancy)

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 5:05 pm
Most roasts shrink in size. Sometimes I make oyster steak. Oyster steak isn’t very cheap but it doesn’t shrink when you cook it. It cuts perfect slices.
Also kalachel. That’s shoulder meat.Pretty much stays the same size and cuts very even slices with no effort. I don’t think it’s expensive for meat.

chaya678

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 5:09 pm
You can buy a steak and make a stir fry/lomaine

ap

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 5:11 pm
yachnabobba wrote:
You need: a cookie sheet and a piece of parchment paper the same size
Make your basic meatball mixture, then add a generous squirt of ketchup. Flatten it on the cookie sheet and put in the fridge to set. When your meat is set put your filling over it; either instant mashed potatoes or defrosted frozen kishke (or make your own) then using the parchment paper and carefully roll it up . Bake
If you want to get fancy - put a pan of water underneath with herbs so there is a gentle herb flavor (I’m not so fancy)
Thank you! How long do you bake for?

yachnabobba

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 5:26 pm
ap wrote:
Thank you! How long do you bake for?

45 min? An hour? About that

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 5:39 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:

Depending on which stores you have nearby, turkey isn’t that cheap any more. You can get nice roasts on sale for pretty much the same price or even cheaper.

egam

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 5:59 pm
Where are you located? Bingo had top of the rib recently for $5.99 lb. Not sure if that sale is still on.
You can make nice stew type dish out of kolichal. Curry, Korean beef, lots of Persian recipes.
London broil is not the most expensive and you can make a steak salad with it.
And obviously ground beef. You can easily stretch it. Make shepherds pie, moussaka, stuffed peppers, zucchini, tomato, cabbage.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 6:00 pm
Check back in here when you're at the market. Let us know what's the most economical this week at your shop, and we'll let you know if there's a good way to prepare it.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 11:39 am
Mollydolly wrote:
correct. was thinking some type of roast?

The least expensive cuts of beef would be chuck or shoulder.

Because they are tough cuts, they are typically braised - classic would be a pot roast although if you cut the meat up in chunks, then you would have make a stew.

But per serving a pot roast which is sliced is probably more expensive than using it as a stew because typically the serving of stew would be stretched with vegetables and a very tasty liquid portion that is also filling.

With sliced meat the typical portion would contain much more "meat"

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Jun 11 2024, 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 12:09 pm
Ground meat

teachkids

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 12:12 pm
You can make a cheap cut into pulled beef and then make pulled beef pizzas

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 12:19 pm
I think you need to go to the store and see the prices as it will all depend what is on sale.

But be aware that while brisket may be cheaper than ground beef (makes no sense but I have receipts to prove) ground beef can be stretched and brisket shrinks.

It also depends on what you want to serve and how much work you want/are available to do. Nothing like dumping a jar of sauce on a brisket and putting it in the oven for 3 hours on 300. (But then again it ties up to it oven.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics