Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Do you make cholent in the summer?
Previous  1  2  3

sarahd

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 8:20 am
Ruchel wrote:
My dh made shabbes osso bucco this week. Despite the huge heat we finished it!

Osso bucco in the morning? I loooove osso bucco, but I only make it for Friday night.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 8:29 am
sarahd wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Osso bucco in the morning? I loooove osso bucco, but I only make it for Friday night.

No for dinner and lunch.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 9:38 am
Well we don't eat beans, dh doesn't eat cooked carrots and we don't use oil. We have one child who doesn't eat chicken or meat so it has to be vegetarian. so....we really haven't had one for about a year and a half anyhow, it's not that great, just some stewed onions with some potatoes and barley and covered with water, no big deal and during the summer the thought of something that hot....

During the summer we have chicken and kugel and homemade potato (baked) fries. Cut potatoes into chips, put in oven pan with garlic and paprika and bake for 2 hours at 225 degrees, flipping every 30 minutes. Works with sweet potatoes two for half the time. Also cold salads. Dh grew up eating only cold on shabbos so he couldn't care less. The kids don't like my cooking so I end up eating the kugel myself and they eat challah and chumus and salads.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 7:46 am
I'm very strict about exactly what weeks cholent is served. Having said that, I must say the best cholent I've ever had in my entire life was at Singapore shul, where of course it's 35C with 80% humidity throughout the year...

pina colada

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 7:58 am
Ruchel wrote:

what is that?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 8:04 am
pina colada wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

what is that?

A traditional shabbes dish in italy.
http://www.tripadvisor.fr/Show......html

suzyq

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 12:22 pm
I almost never make cholent - I don't like it and my DH doesn't care one way or the other. I usually make meatballs in the crockpot for Shabbos lunch, or some kind of chicken in the crockpot so that we do have warm food. And I always have chicken soup for Friday night - I love my chicken soup and can't imagine Shabbos without it. But we do have good A/C Wink

dora

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 12:30 pm
It wouldn't be shabbos without it no matter how hot it is. I make tons of it because it's also for Friday lunch. My married kids stop by with their wives and children to say gut shabbos and eat cholent, so almost everyone gets to see each other every week. It's a party and we love it.

dora

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 12:36 pm
I'm reading all the posts here and love our diversity.

yummydd

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 2:03 pm
By us its also part of friday lunch. (with potatoe kugel, lukshen kugel and farfel )
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus