Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Do you make cholent in the summer?
1  2  3  Next

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 3:52 pm
I've been skipping it, especially during this heat wave.

If you're not having cholent, what are you having for your main course for lunch?

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 3:54 pm
yes, we do

shaini

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:00 pm
In the summer I try to put my crockpot in a room where the heat will not make much difference to the rest of the house. Also if I remember, I put it on a time clock so that it can go off during the afternoon. If I don't have cholent I make shnitzels and salads or cold meats or I'm luck and my family likes cold pickled tongue as something different.

mindyme

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:04 pm
Yes, it would not be Shabbos for my dh if I didn't!!! The truth is, by the time we get to the Cholent, everyone has cooled off and it's fine. I do put the crockpot in my basement laundry room, so the kitchen isn't as hot.

IloveHashem613

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:05 pm
absolutely not. the last thing we wanna eat on a boiling hot day is hot cholent with meat and potatoes... I usually have chicken on shabbos during the summer

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:18 pm
Yes. Cholent's good in the morning before my husband comes home from shul.

Tova

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:23 pm
Yes, cholent or something else in the crockpot. We like hot food. Also, it makes my Shabbos prep very easy. Shabbos lunch is challah, homemade chummus, salmon and some sliced veggies, cholent and leftover kugel from the night before. Dessert.

lizard8

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:25 pm
Of course!

Ronit

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:40 pm
Yes.

You can serve cold cuts, cold tongue...

MommyZ

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:56 pm
Yes but fruit soup instead of chicken soup.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:59 pm
unless we have guests, no. honestly some fish or meat/schnitzle and salads and dips and kugel is plenty. we are not such big eaters (except me embarrassed ) and are full after one course.

plus my crockpot broke so I have to do it on the stovetop.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 5:02 pm
Always. Part of our shabbos tradition.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 5:27 pm
Absolutely, always. DH is very makpid on hot food and insists on cholent (I don't touch it). Once when crockpot time was set wrong and cholent wasn't cooked, he ate my leftover chicken, then went to DD's house to have some hot cholent.

And, chicken soup is an always too. I remember when we were first married (over 35 years ago) and only had a window a/c unit in our bedroom -- we would sit with sweat almost dripping into the soup.

Laughing Bag!

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 5:36 pm
Defenetly! whats shabbos without Cholent or chicken soup!?!?!? not that I always eat chicken soup but cholent I would't eather pass up. And Besides theres a reason behind having HOT Food for shabbos. Its To show that the group of poeple ( which I forgot what they were called) Were wrong for not having any light or heat at all during shabbos. The Chachomim tell us to have it on before. (Sorry If im not remembering exactly anyone can help remind me).

SingALong

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 6:30 pm
rivkyf: I think that group of people you're talking about were apikorsim, someitme around bais hamikdash 2 maybe, historia lessons are a bit fuzzy, their exact name is on the tip of my tongue.

anyways I always have cholent. we all love it. even if I'm too hot to eat it my DD will she loves it. and I save some for sunday supper so it wont go to waste even if we don't eat it.

a couple of times when I'm not in the mood of cholent, I may have a hot cup of tea instead. that way I'm still having something hot but not as heavy as cholent.

Yakira

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 6:32 pm
This will be the first week that we are purposefully skipping it! I'm excited. A few weeks ago we went to a family that served a huge course of salads and loads of trimmings plus deli and it was yum. We felt much lighter afterward. We will do something similar but also have chicken (grilled). Not sure how to warm it up though.

SingALong

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 6:34 pm
could it be TZIDOKIM? now its gonna get me nervous till I remember

RedRuby

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 7:43 pm
Nope.

No cholent, no soup.

More salads, though.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 7:52 pm
Yes we do.
(We only eat chicken soup friday night. Still trying to figure out the best way to keep that warm without keeping the stove/blech on. I wish I had a thermous.)

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 8:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
(We only eat chicken soup friday night. Still trying to figure out the best way to keep that warm without keeping the stove/blech on. I wish I had a thermous.)

A few mintues before you betch licht put it up to boil then turn off the flame and right awy wrap a towel around it very well - we do this and when I open up the pot its steaming
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus