Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When you see a child on a leash...
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 4:53 am
I can understand why a parent would use one. Fortunately the question has not yet arisen in our family.

But as a child who grew up abused, whose mother regularly tied my brother to the dining room chair with a leash, I don't think I could do it. too much emotional stuff attached to it.

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 5:54 am
I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, it doesn't feel 100% right. On the other hand, I know he's 100% safe, and that his safety trumps anything else. We DON'T have one of the cute ones; we have what I could find when I needed it.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 6:00 am
I have one but never used it.

tsiggelle

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 6:07 am
are you using one that is strapped to the back? or to the wrist? the back one is safer, and good for you for using it if the child's behaviour asks for it.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 8:33 am
In theory, I think its better not to use them. I do think there are kids that need them to stay safe in public.

As long as you aren't dragging your kids along on their leash, its no big deal to me.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 8:35 am
I used it once, My child laid down on the sidewalk and cried. Never again. I've taught all subsequent children to hold on to the carriage or my hand, if they don't they get strapped in. (My kids are not easygoing kids and they are active, they know I will strap them in if they misbehave, so they don't.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 9:00 am
I have a Mommy's Helper for the stroller (I got it a couple weeks ago), because I was running out of room for all my kids to hold onto the stroller without bumping into each other. My oldest loves it, and started calling it a leash (I never, ever used that word)...he feels like he has more freedom away from the stroller without being able to go in the street by himself. But I'm not sure if you guys would compare that to the teddy bear harness things...

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 9:09 am
in terms of safety, ive heard the harness is better than the wrist leash, because less chance you may accidently yank the kids arm and dislocate it, plus a harness is harder for them to remove

momo4

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 9:46 am
I love it I have the harness, I wouldn't feel right to use it every day. But I definitely love it when I go to the mall, my dd feels free rather than sitting in the carriage for hours, and I have no worries that she'll get lost

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 1:25 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I used it once, My child laid down on the sidewalk and cried. Never again. I've taught all subsequent children to hold on to the carriage or my hand, if they don't they get strapped in. (My kids are not easygoing kids and they are active, they know I will strap them in if they misbehave, so they don't.)

And my ds loves his. He hangs it around his neck when he wants to go out without the stroller. I take it off to put his coat on and he screams until I put it on him. There is no teaching this kid to hold onto a stroller. I make him hold my hand to cross the street and he screams and throws himself down on the ground. That leash is a lifesaver, though I try not to let him see it regularly because I prefer having him in the stroller.

cm

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 3:33 pm
My toddler didn't like to hold hands, and didn't really walk in a straight line either. We got a harness leash when we were invited to a bar mitzvah that would require a long walk on a city street. She didn't care one way or the other, and it helped my peace of mind. I've seen people use them at the airport, mall, etc - it makes sense anywhere a child needs a little mobility but can't run around at will for safety reasons.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 7:33 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

And my ds loves his. He hangs it around his neck when he wants to go out without the stroller. I take it off to put his coat on and he screams until I put it on him. There is no teaching this kid to hold onto a stroller. I make him hold my hand to cross the street and he screams and throws himself down on the ground. That leash is a lifesaver, though I try not to let him see it regularly because I prefer having him in the stroller.

That's what I used to say, but the reality even the worst offender can be taught, With the first kid all I had to do was ask if he wanted the harness....then he very nicely held on. He was incredibly offended by the idea of it.

If the kid likes it its different.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 7:56 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
the world's best mom wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

That's what I used to say, but the reality even the worst offender can be taught, With the first kid all I had to do was ask if he wanted the harness....then he very nicely held on. He was incredibly offended by the idea of it.

If the kid likes it its different.

They can be taught if they have:

a-some concept of cause and effect, and

b-the ability to control their sensory seeking impulses that are always telling them to run.

Since ds is extremely sensory, non-verbal. and has very little concept of cause and effect, he's not very teachable just yet.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics