Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Considering how many people throw away/recycle mm....
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 11:22 am
amother wrote:
For me, it's not a question of $, or what's stickier or less sticky. It's a question of junk food vs non-junk food. If someone gives me a clementine and a juice box I keep it. I have, unfortunately thrown away plenty of expensive stuff. I feel badly. I am on a limited budget and throwing away food is horrible. But sugar is particularly bad for me and younger DD, and doctors are more expensive than Belgian chocolate. I As to giving it away, in my neighborhood there are limited places to give it away, and they do not want candy or junk food. They want bottled or canned sealed drinks or food (but not junk food - real food), PERIOD. Even in terms of those, they reach capacity very quickly and refuse to take more.

I think that's original OP's point (unless I misunderstood, in which case I apologize) was that the whole MM thing is out of control and people are wasting money on items that are being thrown out.

In my opinion, people should cut WAY back and send something someone who will know who sent it. Those are the best ones anyway. Remember it says "ish le-ray ahu."

Please contact a local homeless shelter. They are usually very happy to have treats for their residents. I know my friend who works with the homeless always asks for post-Halloween donations, so I'm sure she would appreciate post-Purim as well.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 11:33 am
Our local homeless shelter takes canned and packaged food/drink. No candy. It's been tried.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 12:32 pm
I’m surprised at how many people are indignant about throwing away actual bad-for-you candy. One of my (very frum) teachers used to say that dumping soda down the drain isn’t baal tashchis.

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 12:56 pm
[quote="Rachel Shira"]I’m surprised at how many people are indignant about throwing away actual bad-for-you candy. One of my (very frum) teachers used to say that dumping soda down the drain isn’t baal tashchis]
That soda that your very frum teacher thinks is fine to throw away represents money that someone spent to buy it for you. At the very least, bring it to the local firehouse. Such a slap in the face to your “friend” who bothered to bring it to you to say “I dont even consider this to be food and its going down the drain”.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 1:26 pm
Your actually eating something that is bad for you or you won't enjoy doesn't really make any difference. The friend who gives you the candy and soda won't know you threw it out (unless you tell them, Watergirl). I agree that it is in a sense a waste of money, but there isn't much to do about it.

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
Your actually eating something that is bad for you or you won't enjoy doesn't really make any difference. The friend who gives you the candy and soda won't know you threw it out (unless you tell them, Watergirl). I agree that it is in a sense a waste of money, but there isn't much to do about it.

Like I said. Give it to someone who wants it. Dont throw someones money in the trash.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 1:31 pm
[quote="watergirl"]
Rachel Shira wrote:
I’m surprised at how many people are indignant about throwing away actual bad-for-you candy. One of my (very frum) teachers used to say that dumping soda down the drain isn’t baal tashchis]
That soda that your very frum teacher thinks is fine to throw away represents money that someone spent to buy it for you. At the very least, bring it to the local firehouse. Such a slap in the face to your “friend” who bothered to bring it to you to say “I dont even consider this to be food and its going down the drain”.

TOTALLY agree on this one!

giselle

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 1:34 pm
Firstly I go all out bec I enjoy doing so.

Re throwing junk out - you’re not a garbage can either so better than eating it.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 1:37 pm
Some of us believe that treats and soda are okay in moderation. You can pass them on to a family who will dole them out sparingly without feeling like you are destroying their children's health. (And as a family that lives very OOT with little to no nosh available locally and even less money to buy it with, I am very grateful for whatever Purim nosh we get.)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:

With all due respect but now I'm very upset.

It's not a sense of waste of money. It IS a very real waste of money. Don't tell me "there isn't much to do about it" Redistribute what you don't want to someone who will appreciate it.

It is obvious that you come from a society with a heck of a lot of abundance and that you have never known what it is to lack anything edible. People coming from poor backgrounds know to appreciate if they are being given something edible and they don't send it to the garbage just like that.
Baal tashchit is in my eyes to get something from G-d and discard it. Spitting on your gifts.

And I send you a blessing: May you never know what poverty is until 120.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:11 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
With all due respect but now I'm very upset.

It's not a sense of waste of money. It IS a very real waste of money. Don't tell me "there isn't much to do about it" Redistribute what you don't want to someone who will appreciate it.

It is obvious that you come from a society with a heck of a lot of abundance and that you have never known what it is to lack anything edible. People coming from poor backgrounds know to appreciate if they are being given something edible and they don't send it to the garbage just like that.
Baal tashchit is in my eyes to get something from G-d and discard it. Spitting on your gifts.

And I send you a blessing: May you never know what poverty is until 120.

Someone gave me pot. They obviously spent a lot of money on it. I shouldnt throw it out. Thats a shame. Ill give it to a poor persons kid.
I mean its poison for my kids brain. But they are poor so.....

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
Someone gave me pot. They obviously spent a lot of money on it. I shouldnt throw it out. Thats a shame. Ill give it to a poor persons kid.

As much as you feel that veganism is the only true answer, it doesn't make meat poison.

The corrollary should be self-understood.

(And, btw, medical marijuana can be a lifesaver for the right person in the right dose.)

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
As much as you feel that veganism is the only true answer, it doesn't make meat poison.

The corrollary should be self-understood.

(And, btw, medical marijuana can be a lifesaver for the right person in the right dose.)

True true I was being hyperbolic. But a link for the nutritional or health benefits of Red 40 would be appreciated.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
True true I was being hyperbolic. But a link for the nutritional or health benefits of Red 40 would be appreciated.

Nobody will argue for the direct health benefits of trans fatty acids, red #40, or high fructose corn syrup.

However, the psychological benefits when having these as part of a special treat on occasion may outweigh the minor possible health impact.

Note that you won't find many to argue for the nutritional benefit of chemical preservatives, bleached white flour, dough conditioners or pesticides either. Do you throw out all non-organic produce?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:30 pm
As it happens, and not that it's any of your business, Bnei Braq, I am a young widow with kids and while definitions of poverty can differ, I am without a doubt constantly struggling financially. When I buy my groceries I count exactly how many apples I need. I am sorry that this whole thing has you so terribly incensed, but that still doesn't give you the right to judge or make assumptions. My kids eat healthy food bc I can not afford to take them to the Dr and a cavity is a crisis. I am sure others here are in a similar situation. You may wish to dial your righteous indignation back a few notches and try not to judge those of us who are struggling, over the "waste" of some laffy taffy.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:33 pm
If you are in Israel, bring the extras to an army base. Soldiers on active duty burn calories like mad and are usually very grateful for the goodies.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:33 pm
We love getting mishloach manos! And we love giving! We give around 50 (not including the kids) at around $1 per MM. Usually real food, nothing elaborate but tastes good and presented nicely.
We end up with TONS and no we dont throw it away. Candy gets saved for shabbos party (sold over pesach). Everything else gets eaten or saved.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:

You know very well that food and pot is not even to be compared, right?
I suggest you read what Emerald wrote in post higher up on this page. She used the word grateful. To a person like Emerald I will gladly send my MM.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:
As it happens, and not that it's any of your business, Bnei Braq, I am a young widow with kids and while definitions of poverty can differ, I am without a doubt constantly struggling financially. When I buy my groceries I count exactly how many apples I need. I am sorry that this whole thing has you so terribly incensed, but that still doesn't give you the right to judge or make assumptions. My kids eat healthy food bc I can not afford to take them to the Dr and a cavity is a crisis. I am sure others here are in a similar situation. You may wish to dial your righteous indignation back a few notches and try not to judge those of us who are struggling, over the "waste" of some laffy taffy.

Ah, yes. Because telling people that allowing their kids to enjoy an occasional soda or sugary treat is treating them like they're garbage cans; referring to those foods as "toxic"; and comparing allowing your kid to eat a laffy taffy to giving him weed is certainly not at all over the top, self-righteous, or -- frankly -- downright nasty. Its only suggesting that maybe you could share foods that your family doesn't eat with others who might enjoy them that's nasty and judgmental.

Today is backwards day, is it not?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:47 pm
amother wrote:

Although I disagree with you that eating a taffy and brushing teeth afterwards will cause cavities, I wanted to share my admiration for you being such an amazing, attentive and caring mother under what are obviously very difficult circumstances. May Hashem bentch you with you true Purim joy, more than you ever imagined.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics