Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Meaning of the name Ita?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Blossom

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:41 pm
I think it's a very cute name and the 2 people I know with this name happen to be very cute!!
Many Yiddish names are derived from a Hebrew root name and as others above have mentioned this one probably is too.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:
Chocolate Moose, I didn't ask your opinion of the name.

Amother at 2:10 gave HER opinion and I don't see her being reprimanded.. ..at lease I wrote under my own name.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:58 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:
Chocolate Moose, I didn't ask your opinion of the name.

Amother at 2:10 gave HER opinion and I don't see her being reprimanded.. ..at lease I wrote under my own name.

Are we in second grade? Someone posted anonymously saying they didn't like the name and hasn't posted since with any other negative remarks. I was able to casually look over her comment because it was easy to overlook. You keep posting your negative comments, despite the fact that I said its become really bothersome, frustrating, and hurtful. And why take so much pride that you wrote it under your own name? Good for you. Everyone posts however they feel most comforble. Atleast that person was embarrassed that they didn't like the name, or atleast didn't want to post under their name when saying it. I personally think its worse to repeatedly post rude remarks under your own screen name. Please just move on already.

gigi

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:00 pm
well I think chocolote moose is hurting inside..
so we can't judge her either...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:01 pm
no good deed goes unpunished.

anyway, I know who you are, OP.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:11 pm
Maybe you're right gigi. I don't know what must be going on inside. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything at all and I should have overlooked comments that have been bothersome and hurtful. This thread has clearly gone off topic, and its not serving any purpose anymore. Thanks to all those who helped me unlock the name mystery, and I apologize Chocolate Moose if I said anything that hurt you. Please just try to be more sensitive to others when you post your feelings or thoughts. Maybe others won't appreciate some things you say or interpret them the way you (hopefully) intend them.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
Is it just me who feels this way? Am I completely crazy here for thinking this? Or does anyone else see how ridiculous this is becoming?

No, no, yes. 8)

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:36 pm
Although some names may initiate as a derivative of another name, that is not to say that it hasn't got a life of it's own. We are taught that the life-force (chayus) of a person is drawn down, and channeled through the letters, and letter combinations of his/her name. A name is at the same time a revelation and a concealment of the person's essence. a concealment because the essence of someone cannot be totally revealed, yet that which is revealed is reflected through one's name.

The Baal Shem Tov's name R. Yisroel alludes to the collective name for our nation, which was in a state of crisis and which his mission was to awake and revive from that crisis. When someone faints, one whispers their name in their ear, this calls forth their essence and revives them. The name of the Baal Shem Tov similarly evoked an awakening and revival of the Jewish nation, which had just suffered the worst progroms in known history till that time, the "Gezeiros Tach v'Tat" (5408-5409), when over 600,000 Jews were massacred.

A name calls forth, reveals the essence of that person's neshomah. The letters draw down Divine life-force to the person, much in the way the world was created and is sustained by the Ten Utterances and the combinations of the letters of those ten utterances. There is much more to a name than what meets the eye! So there is no such thing as a name that has no meaning, unless it is not a name that is hallowed by Jewish tradition.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
different amother here.
It does sort of seem that when one posts well over 20,000 posts in under 2 yrs, about double anyone else, and around at least 5 times other ppl, that the posts might tend to lack content if you know what I mean. And it cant be such a far-fetched thought if more than 1 or 2 ppl have commented on about it, and moderators have put restrictions on...
\

she says she does all this from "worK"

shanie5

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 6:37 pm
GR wrote:
shanie, in my book it says Necha, Nechil, Nechla, and Nishka are all nicknames for Nechama.

thanx gr. I'm glad we went w/ the name chana in the end.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:24 pm
OP amother, sometimes I pretend that people on here are trolls. I don't answer them even if I know they're legit, because I know it will never end. Some people just don't know how to not reply.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:27 pm
My niece and my sister's middle names are Ita. I never liked it but I got used to it and now I really like it. I also like Nechie. I guess I just like Yiddish names.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:33 pm
I'm thinking ita > ida > yehudis?

not sure but just a thought.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks Lani22. The name is after a loved one, but I was advised by a prominent Rav to look into the Hebrew equivalent for various reasons.

and it seems to be pointing in the direction of yehudis, which you said you can't use.

why does the Rov have an issue with the name as it is?
if its after a loved one then the meaning of the name (to you) can be what the loved one personified and meant to you
Smile

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:11 pm
EstiS wrote:
amother wrote:
Thanks Lani22. The name is after a loved one, but I was advised by a prominent Rav to look into the Hebrew equivalent for various reasons.

and it seems to be pointing in the direction of yehudis, which you said you can't use.

why does the Rov have an issue with the name as it is?
if its after a loved one then the meaning of the name (to you) can be what the loved one personified and meant to you
Smile

Our Rav said in the name of Rabbi Chaim Kanievski that when possible, it might be preferable to use the Hebrew version of a Yiddish name. I don't want to start a whole discussion about using/not using Yiddish names, I personally like them and wouldn't mind using them had it not been for what our Rav told my DH.

shanie5

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:15 pm
GR wrote:
My niece and my sister's middle names are Ita. I never liked it but I got used to it and now I really like it. I also like Nechie. I guess I just like Yiddish names.

I have no problem w/ the name nechie, just could not find a source for it-what it means. and nechama in our family is out of the question.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:18 pm
I don't think nechie is an actual name. I believe its a nickname.

ita on the other hand has evolved from whatever it was to be an actual name.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:25 pm
Esti, Nechie's from Necha.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:26 pm
oh I thought it was a nickname for nechama Confused

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:27 pm
Necha is from Nechama, Nechie is a nickname for Necha.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names