Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Meaning of the name Ita?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 9:44 pm
Does anyone know what the name Ita means? I think its Yiddish and I'm wondering what the English and Hebrew translations/equivalents of it would be. TIA

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 10:01 pm
it's just a name.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 10:06 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
it's just a name.

Don't all names mean something?

Sorry, I have no clue.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 10:13 pm
OP here-

thanks chocolate moose, but im really only asking if anyone can offer a translation. so anyone have any ideas? Ruchel, youre usually great with names and origins, any suggestions?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 11:08 pm
some names are only names.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 11:15 pm
Chocolate Moose, I understand that some names are just names, but I'm curious if anyone knows whether there is a translation to this name in particular. I appreciate you letting me know that you don't know the translation to this name, and for throwing it out there that there may not be a translation. That wasn't my question though. Please only respond if you actually have an idea. I'm sure lots of people don't know, but I'm really looking to hear from those who do. Thanks!

su7kids

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 2:28 am
I looked online and found "The Comprehensive Book of English and Hebrew names." Every page has a preview except the page that has Ita on it!! I wonder why!!!

Anyway, it seems to be Lordly and Praiseworthy may be meanings of the name.

creativemommyto3

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:34 am
gee, my name does mean something!!!!!! Some say that it is the yiddish form of Yehudis or Esther. It isn't nice to say that it is just a name. You wouldn't want someone to say that about your name, would you?

MommyEsty

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:01 am
im not sure what the meaning is but the english is rita.
I have a sister called ita after my grandmother who called herself Rita

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 6:43 am
rita is a short form of Margherita. Any English name can be used as secular for any Jewish name lol

No name is just a name. No one names a child something that has no meaning - but sometimes the meaning has been forgotten.

ditto for coming from Yehudis or Esther, that's it Smile

sunnybrook

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:01 am
Somewhere in the Rashba, there is a list used for Gittin {lo oleinu} that gives equivalents. Rabbonim who deal in gittin would know.
But you might also try genealogy sites, or people: they know how names devlopped and changed from country to country, era to era. Like the lovely Spanish name Esperanza became yiddishized to Shprinza, which can be modernized to Tikva. But if you never heard of this, you would never even dream of the connection.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:05 am
Yeah, that's why I laugh when I hear "Shprintza, Gittel, Golda is Jewish but Esperanza, Clara, Luna not" LOL

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 10:03 am
I have a book that goes through all Jewish names and says what they mean and their origins. I'll look it up and let you know, IY"H.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 10:59 am
I know several Itas, anonymous amother, and have asked over the years for what the name meant, and was told IT'S JUST A NAME.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:02 am
But... names are never random letters (especially among Jews, because names are sooo important to us), this is just not how they are created, except Braelynn names that are trendy today... but in any civilization and culture, a name meant something. I hate to say this, but some people arent interested in knowing about their own names!

Clarissa

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:11 am
To me, the name Ita now means, "I totally agree." These days, with the internet, I don't know if I'd name a kid Ita, Tia, Lol or Imo.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:18 am
OP here

Thanks for all the effort on behalf of my name quest. I never would have thought that Ita was an equivalent of Yehudis or Esther, thats so interesting. If anyone digs up any other information on the name, please let me know. We're looking to use the name, but want to use the hebrew form of it (if there is one). Unfortunately, I can't actually use the names Yehudis or Esther, so if anyone is able to find any other possibilities, I'd be very curious to hear them.

And Chocolate Moose, I'm anonymous because I obviously wouldn't want anyone to know what I was planning to name my baby iyH beforehand. I'm sorry if you're offended that I singled you out, its just really frustrating when I post to get information and you respond, more than once, in an unhelpful way. I'm seeking actual information and its very discouraging when you keep saying there isn't an equivalent, etc. Thanks again to all those who have been doing research on my behalf, and thanks Chocolate Moose for being interested in helping, because I'm sure thats what you really wanted to do- it may just not have come across that way to me initially.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:20 am
lol Clarissa. I never knew that Ita stood for that! While we're on the subject, what does ETA and FWIW mean? (I think those were the letter combinations that stumped me, pardon me if I'm a bit off)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
its just really frustrating when I post to get information and you respond, more than once, in an unhelpful way.

You don't think much of me, do you?

Clarissa

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:24 am
I always thought ETA meant estimated time of arrival, unless you meant something else. FWIW means for what it's worth.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names