Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Want to make Aliyah but scared
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:28 am
Deleted

Aylat

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:06 pm
banana123 wrote:
Really? From what I've seen, even teaching bagrut, with Oz Letmura and a bonus for the subject, you don't earn 8000 until at least a few years in.

And earning more each year depends on darga, not just vetek - you need to take courses each year to move up each darga.

If you have a source for your claim I'd love to see it. I know they were talking about it....but a lot of talk doesn't actually end up happening.

Aside from this, I want to note that in the areas where this would be relevant, it's not easy to find a full-time position in a high school. Where it is possible, it requires working in two or more schools.

I teach high school bagrut, almost full time, almost no vetek, and I earn a bit over 5000 a month.

Some subjects are very in demand, some aren't.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:12 pm
Aylat wrote:
I teach high school bagrut, almost full time, almost no vetek, and I earn a bit over 5000 a month.

Do you have a degree and a teaching diploma? Do you work in a public school or any officially recognized school?

Are you in the Oz Letmura reform? (All new teachers are supposed to be). Or for some reason, are you still in the old system, where you work 24 hours frontal and that's it? (it would be less than 24 hours if you teach bagrut)

Something is missing here, because ALL high school teachers earn the base 8000 NIS (bruto) no matter what they teach.

Or do you earn 8000 and you mean you get 5000 net? That would be an awful lot to pay for taxes/pension/keren hishtalmut out of such a low sum. But maybe that's what they take off, I'm not up to date wit that.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:16 pm
Aylat wrote:

Doesn't matter if it's English or gym or Torah she'be'al pe, you are earning the same base salary, according to hours, not subject. (yes some subjects are more in demand, but that comes into play when you look for a job, not when you get paid).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:16 pm
I’m a little confused here with income... you mean 5000 or 8000 shekels a month???

That seems so low because I started looking at rent for a month is over 5000 shekels ... so we would have no money to pay for other things?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m a little confused here with income... you mean 5000 or 8000 shekels a month???

That seems so low because I started looking at rent for a month is over 5000 shekels ... so we would have no money to pay for other things?

Starting salary for a teacher is 8000 BRUTO a month. I don't know how much they take off for pension and taxes and keren hishtalmut savings account and bituach leumi at that salary, but I assume it's about 1500 k, depending how many kids you have etc (kids equal tax points). But I could be wrong.

Yup, that's the salary per month. You can't live on that alone. Your spouse needs to be earning money too. (If you are teaching 20 years and earning 16 or 17k bruto, then maybe maybe if you're very low maintenance you can be the sole earner).

You might want to look at cheaper areas to rent. Some cities are oversaturated with rental apartments and are very cheap. For example, the new city, Harish (near Hadera), has respectable, new apartments for rent for much less. Also a thriving dati community, mainly dati leumi.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:28 pm
Also, I never worked in America, so I am not sure how it works. But I understand you pay your own retirement funds separately? They aren't docked straight off your salary. Here they are.

So when you hear how much people are making net, you need to realize that they already paid their pension fund, and if they are teachers they paid into a sabbatical fund (teachers, remember you must sign up for this!), and bituach leumi, all on top of taxes.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:38 pm
Wow that’s crazy. My husband is the teacher here and makes $90,000 a year, but it’s reduced with taxes, health benefits and retirement plan.
He makes much more here but we still manage monthly with all the bills and yeshiva tuition, now I have to rethink if he’ll make so little in israel and even if I work, we have to see if we can make it with the monthly payments in israel,

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow that’s crazy. My husband is the teacher here and makes $90,000 a year, but it’s reduced with taxes, health benefits and retirement plan.
He makes much more here but we still manage monthly with all the bills and yeshiva tuition, now I have to rethink if he’ll make so little in israel and even if I work, we have to see if we can make it with the monthly payments in israel,

If he's been working then his vetek may very well count here, you need to look into that.
A teacher with an MA in anything and a teaching diploma makes around 16 or 17 k here after twenty years, which could be about 12k net, which is about 144k a year - or $41,000. And that's AFTER twenty years!

So yeah, teaching salaries here are much lower. Most salaries here are much lower. On the flip side there is no real tuition for most schools (only sums like 1000 nis a year).

I note you said 'even if I work' - unless you want to live in poverty (and there are people in Israel who are ok with that) - or unless your spouse is a millionaire - you DO need both spouses working in Israel, in most cases.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

A teacher starting out or with no actual degree will be making the bottom of the barrel salaries.
There are many families who live month to month and both husband and wife must work.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:20 pm
Ok, got it. Currently I work part time as an administrative assistant. I know in israel I’ll have to somehow work full time but then my kids will have to stay longer at school? Or babysitting?
I’m not relying on family around for that, I know they’ll be there but not really helpful... unfortunately.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:21 pm
OP, you don't have to answer - but do you own a house? Because if you own and can eventually sell and buy something here, that would obviously put you in a much better place.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok, got it. Currently I work part time as an administrative assistant. I know in israel I’ll have to somehow work full time but then my kids will have to stay longer at school? Or babysitting?
I’m not relying on family around for that, I know they’ll be there but not really helpful... unfortunately.
Part time secretarial work can run from 3k shekels a month. Full time can be slightly higher and much higher, it really depends on the company or place you find a job.
And yes, for many people, part of the take home salaries of either or both spouses, is used for child care.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

When I said most couples are dual income, I didn't mean that both need to work full time.

And in any case, if your dh works as a teacher, he will be finished by around 15:30 or at most 15:45 every day. Your kids can be in צהרון till then. Many cities/schools have them, it's a subsidized after school program on school premises. (This depends on what type of school you were planning to send. You need to look into it).

I think the ganim also have it now. Not sure, my kids are out of gan.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:28 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
OP, you don't have to answer - but do you own a house? Because if you own and can eventually sell and buy something here, that would obviously put you in a much better place.

Nope! The only thing we own is a car, which we would have to sell

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:45 pm
I note you said 'even if I work' - unless you want to live in poverty (and there are people in Israel who are ok with that) - or unless your spouse is a millionaire - you DO need both spouses working in Israel, in most cases.

Not necessarily, I don't work (although DH has a good hi-tech job), but even in my community there are loads of couples where the husband doesn't work (and doesn't learn either... a kind of 'house husband' for want of a better term. They're not really cut out for the workforce for various reasons...) and the wives are speech therapists, gannenot etc and they get by. Far from rich, but living in the merkaz, paying 4-5,000 shekels rent

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:50 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Not necessarily, I don't work (although DH has a good hi-tech job), but even in my community there are loads of couples where the husband doesn't work (and doesn't learn either... a kind of 'house husband' for want of a better term. They're not really cut out for the workforce for various reasons...) and the wives are speech therapists, gannenot etc and they get by. Far from rich, but living in the merkaz, paying 4-5,000 shekels rent

I don't know how they get by. If the husband isn't working, and the wife is a gannenet or speech therapist or something, then they are making around 8000 NIS a month at the most. (Unless you are talking about a gannenet with 20 yrs experience).

If they are paying 5000 rent, another 1000 a month MINIMUM for water/electricity/arnona, then that leaves 2000 a month for everything else. That's pretty much poverty level, especially if they have a few kids.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:54 pm
I don't know how they get by. If the husband isn't working, and the wife is a gannenet or speech therapist or something, then they are making around 8000 NIS a month at the most. (Unless you are talking about a gannenet with 20 yrs experience).

If they are paying 5000 rent, another 1000 a month MINIMUM for water/electricity/arnona, then that leaves 2000 a month for everything else. That's pretty much poverty level, especially if they have a few kids.

I've no idea how they do it, and tbh I'm too embarrassed to ask. One friend in her early 40s rents an amazing apartment, at least 5000 nis if not more, doesn't work, has 6 young kids and her husband works part-time (!) as a clown and kids entertainer. The mind boggles. Somehow people make it work.

Success10

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:58 pm
People get money from family and all sorts of inheritances and other things you have no idea about. Never assume anything. And above all else, don't think that because they can manage on what you perceive to be 7000 shekels a month that you'd be able to do the same.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:59 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I've no idea how they do it, and tbh I'm too embarrassed to ask. One friend in her early 40s rents an amazing apartment, at least 5000 nis if not more, doesn't work, has 6 young kids and her husband works part-time (!) as a clown and kids entertainer. The mind boggles. Somehow people make it work.

First of all, a kids' entertainer can earn a lot of money.

Otherwise, they are living off their parents or have some other source of income. Someone needed to sign the rental contract, and no landlord will rent an apartment to someone who can't prove they are earning decently.

The whole myth of Israelis all being in debt is a myth. The bank only lets you get into a limited 'minus', and beyond that, you need to come up with the money. So obviously they have a source behind the scenes.

You never know. Often in such cases, the apartment belongs to a family member who is 'renting' it to them at rock bottom price.
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions