Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Brooklynites more rude than others?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:36 am
Anything small has a cozy more personal feel. Trust me if you live out of town you mostly know your neighbors and anyone new you would figure is a guest or new to town so you hi them too. In brooklyn its a city with hundreds locaqal and thousands through its not possible to expect that they can even think of people in a personal level. Good shabbos to neighbors, good shabbos to daveners from your smaller corner shul. Oh a new face, this must be a guest. Not possible in the larger "community" souls.
I also find non Jewish stores and frum stores to be rude for the same reason. Where I live, not brooklyn we basically know our Spanish speaking neighbors. Our white older American neighbors they live in another area with the flags hanging on their door. In brooklyn. You don't know who you are dealing with. New York attracts many different kind. It could be a tourist, it could be a real terrible person. Lots of passerby from all over the world. How could they be friendly if they have to stay on guard (and sadly even in the jewish community you have some of those.

By the way lots of chesed goes there to chol homemade entertainment for anyone. Free food for pesach no questions asked. We don't know you and don't need to come to a free distribution

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Why is a good Shabbos greeting the measure of rudeness/ friendliness?
I think the Brooklyn stare down is rude.

What is the Brooklyn stare down??
I lived in Brooklyn all my life and have no idea what you are talking about.
Btw, I say good shabbos to any woman I pass on shabbos, I just don't greet the men since I was raised that it is a lack of tznius.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:16 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I thought it was just me! I always felt like garbage in the eyes of out of towners in camp and sem just because I lived in broolyn. I think it was very cruel to constantly mock us and put us down just because of where we lived. How does that make them better people is beyond me.

I agree with this. I'm from Brooklyn. I actually always found it so exceedingly hypocritical that the OOT'ers who consider themselves "sooooo nice and friendly and open minded and non judgmental" can be so disgusting to Brooklyn girls. In camp and seminary, as soon as I said I was from Brooklyn, I would get this knowing look/smirk that said "oh you're from Brooklyn you're so jappy/snobby/rude/unfriendly" etc (or whatever their preconceived notion of in-towners was). I happen to be extremely low key, simple, laid back, and I have friends and relatives from all different backgrounds. There was one Baltimore girl in my sem who didn't know I was from Brooklyn. In January she found out that I was from Brooklyn and was like "omg I would never have guessed, you are sooooo not Brooklyn type." And I'm thinking " well so much for your open minded out of town mentality, you are clearly not open minded if you stereotype all Brooklyners like that." Its funny cuz if in townders would dare stereotype OOT'ers like that we would be bashed. But they can judge us all they want. It came to a point during my camp years where I was literally embarrassed and afraid to say I was from Brooklyn because of all the nasty comments and the attitude I knew I was going to get.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I agree with this. I'm from Brooklyn. I actually always found it so exceedingly hypocritical that the OOT'ers who consider themselves "sooooo nice and friendly and open minded and non judgmental" can be so disgusting to Brooklyn girls. In camp and seminary, as soon as I said I was from Brooklyn, I would get this knowing look/smirk that said "oh you're from Brooklyn you're so jappy/snobby/rude/unfriendly" etc (or whatever their preconceived notion of in-towners was). I happen to be extremely low key, simple, laid back, and I have friends and relatives from all different backgrounds. There was one Baltimore girl in my sem who didn't know I was from Brooklyn. In January she found out that I was from Brooklyn and was like "omg I would never have guessed, you are sooooo not Brooklyn type." And I'm thinking " well so much for your open minded out of town mentality, you are clearly not open minded if you stereotype all Brooklyners like that." Its funny cuz if in townders would dare stereotype OOT'ers like that we would be bashed. But they can judge us all they want. It came to a point during my camp years where I was literally embarrassed and afraid to say I was from Brooklyn because of all the nasty comments and the attitude I knew I was going to get.

Be aware there are numerous Brooklyn and NY bashing threads on this site. It's apparently ok to do this . Funny,how I never see it done to other communities..m

rachel6543

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 2:45 pm
I’m from the west coast and the few times I have been to Brooklyn people (Jewish and non-Jewish) were friendly and nice to me. One time I dragging my luggage on the subway on the stairs & a gentleman was very polite and helped me carry it. Maybe I’m just lucky, but my overall experience when visiting NY was always positive dealing with people, cab drivers, people on the subway, people who hosted for me shabbos, people in stores & restaurants....etc. I even asked random strangers for directions more than once (this was before smart phones) when I couldn’t find my way and people were always very helpful.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:01 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

I agree with this. Every word. I got similar comments in seminary. It was really frustrating.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mollie

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:00 pm
The yearly bashing Brooklyn thread, perfect for before Rosh Hashana 🙄

Yes I live in Brooklyn, in a very friendly neighborhood where everyone smiles, greets each other warmly, and say good shabbos to each other.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:06 pm
Mollie wrote:
The yearly bashing Brooklyn thread, perfect for before Rosh Hashana 🙄

Yes I live in Brooklyn, in a very friendly neighborhood where everyone smiles, greets each other warmly, and say good shabbos to each other.

If anything this is a OOT bashing thread....but yes bh right before RH. Can't Believe It

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:08 pm
I host people all the time with my children giving up their bedrooms and using the downstairs bathroom.

RULE NO. ONE:
no Brooklyn bashing,
Rule no 2:
no Boro Park bashing
Rule no 3
no chasidim bashing

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
What is the Brooklyn stare down??
I lived in Brooklyn all my life and have no idea what you are talking about.
Btw, I say good shabbos to any woman I pass on shabbos, I just don't greet the men since I was raised that it is a lack of tznius.

We live OOT I’m a bt. I heard dd 15 yo talking to her friends about the Lakewood Stare down. When I asked her after she said everybody knows it and boro park also do it but Lakewood is the worst. She imitated it to me. It’s a snobbish look and it’s kind of looking at you from top to bottom. My 2 cents is that every community has their Shtick and we have tons of things to work on. No community is perfect

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:21 pm
where I live you can ALWAYS spot someone who has RELOCATED FROM Brooklyn.

THEY are the ones that rarely respond when someone wishes them a Good Shabbos.

I'm FROM BROOKLYN so I can say this!!
:-)

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:37 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I’m from Flatbush and in my neighborhood we do say good shabbos to people on the street.
Brooklyn is almost out of town now compared to Lakewood lol. I find Lakewood much ruder Smile

I don’t care if people don’t say good shabbos, but I’d love if someone from Lakewood would come over to me at a school event and introduce themselves. I’m new to the area and it would so nice if someone would say hello. Especially if I’m the only one not talking to someone.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:44 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
If anything this is a OOT bashing thread....but yes bh right before RH. Can't Believe It

What’s the title of this thread?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:05 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
What’s the title of this thread?

Have you read the comments on this thread?

leah233

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:59 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Have you read the comments on this thread?

As someone who grew up in Brooklyn and joins the chorus of those who feel the OOT girls were very not nice with their constant making fun on Brooklyn in camp and sem, I don't get you.

The OP ASKED if Brooklynites are more rude than others. If people say "no" based on bad experiences with OOTers this is a OOT bashing thread?

The thread isn't bashing OOTers at all. It is criticizing those who think they are superior.

No one is saying "I went OOT. The people there are so horrible. Are all OOTers obnoxious?"

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:03 pm
leah233 wrote:
As someone who grew up in Brooklyn and joins the chorus of those who feel the OOT girls were very not nice with their constant making fun on Brooklyn in camp and sem, I don't get you.

The OP ASKED if Brooklynites are more rude than others. If people say "no" based on bad experiences with OOTers this is a OOT bashing thread?

The thread isn't bashing OOTers at all. It is criticizing those who think they are superior.

No one is saying "I went OOT. The people there are so horrible. Are all OOTers obnoxious?"

To add to it, believe or not, Brooklynites don't think less of people from OOT. We don't think that the sun rises and sets in NY. Many of us can appreciate the slower nature of OOT. We just don't appreciate when people denigrate us simply because of where we happen to live.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
where I live you can ALWAYS spot someone who has RELOCATED FROM Brooklyn.

THEY are the ones that rarely respond when someone wishes them a Good Shabbos.

I'm FROM BROOKLYN so I can say this!!
:-)

That's because we dont like you. We do respond to everyone else..just not you.

gold21

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:21 pm
Mostly just the sales help in Brooklyn is rude. Also, fellow drivers looking for a parking spot are rude.

Otherwise, I haven't found Brooklynites to be rude. Brooklyn kind of has a cooler/more lukewarm (I wouldn't say cold per se, just cool/lukewarm) energy, it's not warm enough for me personally, but that's me. Everyone has different needs. It works for some people, especially if they have family nearby.

Last edited by gold21 on Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:22 pm
Im chassidish from brooklyn and went to an out of town sleepaway camp and always felt extremely judged by everyone else. "Oh your chassidish? You sooo dont look the type!! does your mother wear a shpitzel and seams and shaves her head?? etc etc" Umm nooo my mother does not wear/do any of that and thank you very much I was thinking I was going to an OOT open minded camp!!

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:55 pm
I grew up in Brooklyn and still live here. I would not move anywhere else. I love the privacy I have, the choices of shopping venues and shuls, and most of all, I love how there are so many different types of people living here. Plus the chesed is off the charts and an assortment of shiurim is readily available. It is a great place to live. Anyone who feels that Brooklynites are not friendly are the ones with the chip on their shoulder and insecure. And yes I am sick of all the Brooklyn bashing!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries