Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How far can you trace back
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 7:56 pm
Dh is descended from the Besht (rebbish) on one side and the other side is American with originals in Lithuania. Hope no one is rolling in their graves from that match!

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:07 pm
I have no idea and never put much thought into it.

While I doubt I come from anyone famous, I don't doubt that I come from many wonderful special people.

Then again, who knows- maybe I do come from someone famous. I have no idea.

I know how my lineage breaks up..I'm half from one country, half from another. Both pairs of grandparents married locals, so it divides up neatly as a 50/50 split.

And my husband is 100 percent from one of the countries that I am 50 percent from, so my kids are 75 percent of that lineage.

Beyond that, I don't really put much thought into it. Maybe one day I'll be famous and my descendants will claim me as their famous ancestor. How do I go about becoming famous?

sweetbee

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:32 pm
I'm a convert (So I suppose I can trace back to Avraham Avinu)

But my husband's family on one side were Ukrainian Chasidim since his great-grandparents

I think it's pretty neat Smile

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:38 pm
I may win this one.

I’m a geyoris. On my mother’s side I can trace back to the 10th century. Not a typo Smile I’m a descendant of lots of European royalty.

My fathers side... he was a Kohein so back to Aaron but missing all links before like 1850 Smile

Just One

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:42 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I may win this one.

I’m a geyoris. On my mother’s side I can trace back to the 10th century. Not a typo Smile I’m a descendant of lots of European royalty.

My fathers side... he was a Kohein so back to Aaron but missing all links before like 1850 Smile

That's fascinating. Can you drop some names?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:44 pm
I’m a first generation American born to parents who are both first generation in their countries of birth. So that uninterrupted heritage went wrong pretty fast lol.

My kids, though, are 6th generation Americans through DH which I think is really cool.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:46 pm
My DH is a descendant of Adam Harishon.
Ben-Achar-Ben.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:48 pm
I’m a descendant of Dovid Hamelech and Rashi and Chasam Sofer and Rabi Akiva Eiger. That makes me special for sure :-)
So is dh by the way, besides for being Ben-achar-Ben from Adam Harishon...!
(we’re far off cousins)

Adam Harishon gave 70 of his years in life to Dovid Hamelech, I think that’s so amazing.

Just One

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:50 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
My DH is a descendant of Adam Harishon.
Ben-Achar-Ben.

And you're from Chava? Laugh

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:51 pm
A lot of people can trace their lineage back to Rashi, if so, you are a descendant from Dovid, because Rashi was. (Per Rabbi Barely We in.)

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:53 pm
Wife1 wrote:
So can we😀

Ben achar Ben until me

Seriously? Wow how amazing!

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:58 pm
Just One wrote:
That's fascinating. Can you drop some names?

Can trace directory to King Edward III of England, and many British kings before him , a really cool lady named queen Isabella of France who’s husband was a bum king so she made her own army and took over , king Philip IV of France and many before him, saint Ferdinand (king Ferdinand ) of Spain, the first king of Portugal Alfonso ...

Because they all married each other if you’re related to the king of one country you’ll get a bunch others too

I also am a descendant of a bunch of knights etc, and Oliver Cromwells number two... there’s a castle in Ireland that’s a museum about my family, as well as a museum in Georgia about us in an old plantation.

On my dads side, my grandmother was born on the kitchen table in a tenement of the lower east side, and my father was a real (secular) lower east sider

Does it surprise anyone that my parents marriage didn’t last? 🤣

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:00 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
A lot of people can trace their lineage back to Rashi, if so, you are a descendant from Dovid, because Rashi was. (Per Rabbi Barely We in.)

Right and the Chasam Sofer was a descendant of Rashi.
There are many Chasam Sofer grandchildren bli ayin hara who are all from Rashi, and Dovid Hamelech.
Who are all from Rus.
I think it’s so amazing that all that greatness came from Rus who was actually a convert.
There were many other great women around at the time...with amazing yichus until Yaakov Avinu.
Rus came from Eglon the king of Moav. Eglon was zoche to all that because he stood up when the Navi came to tell him dvar Hashem.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:00 pm
My husband is a descendant of the Bal Hatanya, I think ben achar ben, but my father in law is one of few remaining staunch Misnagdim, so he won’t really admit to this.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:05 pm
To add , I found out I’m a descendant of TWO monarchs in separate countries who expelled the Jews from their country.

I called my rabbi bawling and asked if I’m Amalek. He said no but you ARE crazy.

One of my ancestors William 3rd earl of derby died in the Siege of acre and is buried in Jerusalem!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:06 pm
To add , I found out I’m a descendant of TWO monarchs in separate countries who expelled the Jews from their country.

I called my rabbi bawling and asked if I’m Amalek. He said no but you ARE crazy.

One of my ancestors William 3rd earl of derby died in the Siege of acre and is buried in Jerusalem!

Laugh Love your Rabbi’s answer!

Just One

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:13 pm

You're rectifying their mistakes in the most beautiful way possible!

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:16 pm
Just One wrote:
You're rectifying their mistakes in the most beautiful way possible!

Maybe one day I will go back to those countries and stand outside the castles and let Grandpa know his worst nightmares are true.... the Jews are here and they’ve got your genes!!!

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:19 pm
We have family trees going very far back. It actually came up a couple years ago, one of my cousins was about to get engaged. they wanted to make sure that my grandfather was not a mamzar or anything funny, since he comes from a very interesting country. I'm not going to see what country since it will out me. There are only two from Jews from that country alive today. My grandfather was able to pull out a family tree he has, that went all the way up.

Just One

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:19 pm
Maybe one day I will go back to those countries and stand outside the castles and let Grandpa know his worst nightmares are true.... the Jews are here and they’ve got your genes!!!

LOL LOL LOL
You go girl!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics