Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
A person who is financially comfortable can..
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
Depends on the school. Elementary school tuition in the main school in Passaic is just over $10k. High school is about $15k.
We make around $180k and it's enough for us to pay all our bills comfortably with 4 kids. We plan on having more so unless our income goes up we will need some tuition breaks in the future.

Your take home is about $120,000 a year.

If you had 4 kids in high school, that would cost you $60,000 a year, leaving you $60,000 -- $5000 a month -- for mortgage, utilities, transportation, food, insurance, vacations, and savings. Are you able to do that, comfortably?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 1:58 pm
mommy3b2c- I see we crossposted Smile

creditcards

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 2:34 pm
This thread is depressing me. Instead of dwelling on how much money we need, and what our goal is, why not focus on figuring things out. For me finances is like a puzzle that needs to be figured out every month. All the pieces end up falling into place.

nicole81

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 3:11 pm
I haven't read most of the responses but one thing I can say is spending today as if you're financially comfortable means nothing if you don't have a plan for the future. I've said this before on other threads, but it's my opinion that someone is not financially comfortable, no matter what they think they can afford, if they are not on track to have a well funded retirement.

cbsp

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
Pay the gas, electric, phone bills every month, and avoid shut-offs, etc.
Purchase produce without thinking twice about the high cost of healthy food.
Buy a pair of shoes as needed, rather than walk around in shoes that have holes where rain seeps through.
Take the bus/subway instead of walking all the time.
Pay to see a private doctor when the Medicaid doctor isn't helpful.
Pay for my child's trauma therapy instead of witnessing his daily suffering.
Buy garbage bags instead of using and re-using shopping bags.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you're on any form of public assistance (aside from disability) then most likely you're not "comfortable" in strict financial terms.

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:
Depends on the school. Elementary school tuition in the main school in Passaic is just over $10k. High school is about $15k.
We make around $180k and it's enough for us to pay all our bills comfortably with 4 kids. We plan on having more so unless our income goes up we will need some tuition breaks in the future.

I don’t live in Passaic county. Bergen county middle schools are around $15k cheapest. High school comes out to over $20 cheapest. I’m rounding when I say we come out close to $80 but it’s close. Add in before care/after care for when they are little plus camps, You can see how living in certain communities can be very expensive.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics